Why become a member? ×

Can get back to work now, didnt get the gig!

51m0n

I've been dropping in on this thread periodically, and it sounds like a pain in the ass. I am more inclined to sway in the direction of those who say 'they're more trouble than they're worth, leave them', but I do understand the other viewpoint of 'you've put in a lot of effort and got this far, stick it out'.

In short, I think you've got to look at what you want in a band, and what you're looking to get from it. If all you want is an outlet for live playing of music you like, and you're not too fussed about artistic input, then I'd stick it out. If you're looking for a band that would be [i]your[/i] band, i.e. one that you are an integral part of and not just 'the bass player who does what he's told', and you're bothered about having a level of control over your sound and artistic input, then I'd leave it. However nicely bands put it, if they're telling you to adhere to their opinions/preferences, they're telling you to adhere to their opinions/preferences. If there's little room to manuevre around that, or they are less than welcoming of different input, then you are likely to have an uphill struggle on your hands to bring them round to even just appreciating your point of view.

Oh, and if the drummer is annoying, I'd run a mile. I cannot [i]stand [/i]working with drummers who can't solidly stick with the rest of the band. But that's just my opinion. I figure that if you want to genuinely call yourself a <<insert instrument player title here>> you work at your instrument and work towards getting it right. No excuses.

Mark

You can only put so much time into it without them making a decision. The last band I auditioned for got me learning stuff for two weeks prior to the audition.
I turned up and played OK, but during a small break they asked me what else I was doing, I told them I was in a Wishbone Ash tribute band. At the end of the night the singer took me to one side and asked if we needed a singer for the Ash tribute as he was sick of this lot and was thinking of leaving.
Needless to say 3 days later, I get a call to say that I was very good and they were all impressed but they are disbanding as this singer is leaving. Many evenings wasted learning tunes I'm not likely to play again. :)

Not saying in any way this is how its gonna turn out for you, but like I said, you can only put so much time into it.

To play "devil's advocate" and be a pessimist again, it sounds to me that they like you, but you're not quite what they want, so they're having one last try out with a couple of others before they "settle" with you. I am only saying what it could be, I'm not accusing you or anything.

It's whether you take that in your stride and know they won't find someone else and if they do they'd be missing out, or whether you get upset about it all and tell them to shove it up their a**e. The latter does sound tempting, I know!

As another poster said, there may be multiple personalities in that band that all have to like you (or else it is difficult). I personally wouldn't make a deal about the drummer being c**p as they might have said that as a kind way of telling you it didn't go that well, and although it may be true, they may not like the fact you are already joining in with badmouthing their members (I believe you said you told the lead man the drummer wasn't great).

As for the bass, I joined a blues band that didn't like my "too modern looking" Cort 5 string and kept trying to insist I used my Squier JV as it suited their image better. Tw**s!

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='51m0n' post='523556' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:50 PM']To be honest its already starting to feel a bit sour :)

Band leader dude has stated the bass tone must have no treble, no middle, there must never be slap blah blah blah blah.

Just starting to feel the pinch that got me out of playing in bands all those years ago :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='523579' date='Jun 25 2009, 01:08 PM']Be bad, sit back, mute lots and play it cool. And then tell them you'll let them know if they're good enough.

Alex[/quote]
+1 to Alex.. the band thing has to work for you as well as them. To an extent, you are auditioning them, too. If you're feeling fed up now, imagine a couple of years down the line and you're in a rattling van at 2am coming back from a distant gig! Half the thing of being in a band is the dynamic between the members - obviously that doesn't neccessarily appear at audition, but if the band leader is already giving you instructions then that will probably be the case in future. As long as you can deal with that it's not a problem (plenty of brill bands around which are Mr or Mrs.Songwriter Plus Supporting Musicians), but it sounds like you're more after the equal input type of dynamic.
You sometimes find that you have to tweak your tone to fit in with a different set of players and instruments; listen to the whole context and see if you're fighting someone else for a particular frequency range - sounds like you have the gear to make a wide range of sounds, and it may actually be that somewhere between his decree and your current tone there lies the ideal sound for this line-up.
Best of luck, hope it turns out enjoyable! :lol:

I've just read through this.... interesting.

It's tricky - if they want James Jamerson then they'd better go get a shovel and someone called Igor! On the other hand if the band leader has a picture in his head of someone plunking away on a muddy sounding P, you might just have to suck it up and go buy one. Remember it's about image too!

I wouldn't take any sh*t. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them for a decision by (say) the end of the weekend. It shows a business like attitude on your part if nothing else.

following this with interest. been in similar situations in my business career loads of times.

my tuppence worth is.............

no point telling them to f*** off - you never know when you might cross paths with some of these guys again on a gig you really really want. dont walk away on bad terms - no matter how stupid you think they are being.......

but push them to a decision - tell em you have another offer, and you are being pressured for a decision on that one, but you would rather work with them - suggest you all sleep on it, and have a quick yes/no conversation tomorrow. if either side is still unsure , then thats a "no", wish them well and all move on.

good luck whatever happens!

cheers
L

Back from audition #2

Managed to get them from pretty stationary and too cool for school to boogeying and loving the feel in 50 minutes.

Job done, satisfied that I couldnt do better under the circumstances, really grooved hard, especially their single, absolutely grooved my butt off on that one, went down very very well. Had to really hold onto the drummer though, still having issues with tempos, but much better!

Expecting a call tomorrow evening. Lots of smiles all round though. Felt great on the last couple of tracks, an absolute blast to play.

We shall see.....

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='524531' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:04 AM']Well done!

You should still go and buy a P. (just kidding! :) )[/quote]

LOL!

Nah mate, that'd be like taking a Cooper Climax out on the F1 Championship next year...

[quote name='51m0n' post='524609' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:33 AM']LOL!

Nah mate, that'd be like taking a Cooper Climax out on the F1 Championship next year...[/quote]

Shhhhhush! Don't give Max any more bonkers ideas!

Well done for going with it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='524631' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:48 AM']Shhhhhush! Don't give Max any more bonkers ideas!

Well done for going with it.[/quote]

LOL, I'd watch Coopers, BRMs, Westlakes, Brabhams, Ferraris, Hondas and Loti from the 60's every weekend, that drifting style of driving is just the best IMO!

[quote name='51m0n' post='524679' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:28 AM']LOL, I'd watch Coopers, BRMs, Westlakes, Brabhams, Ferraris, Hondas and Loti from the 60's every weekend, that drifting style of driving is just the best IMO![/quote]

Yeah me too but I'd prefer it if they had today's safety stuff ... The death toll was had to cope with back then.

[quote name='OldGit' post='524697' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:51 AM']Yeah me too but I'd prefer it if they had today's safety stuff ... The death toll was had to cope with back then.[/quote]

Granted.

I would like to see a full scale replica of the Nord-Schleife built, but with huuuuge run off areas etc etc, so they could go about racing on the best circuit ever, without dieing.

Shame it wont happen ever :)

And an open wheeled series with all the current safety stuff, but with handling like those 60's 3 litre F1 cars before wings.....

That wont happen either :rolleyes:

How off topic is that :lol:

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='524679' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:28 AM']LOL, I'd watch Coopers, BRMs, Westlakes, Brabhams, Ferraris, Hondas and Loti from the 60's every weekend, that drifting style of driving is just the best IMO![/quote]

Pah! Those youngsters! It's all s**t since Nouvolari died! :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='513894' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:08 AM']Brilliant, good luck with it mate.

Cobblers to work, get your mind on more important matters. The main thing is to try and enjoy it, and more to the point, [i]LOOK[/i] like you're enjoying it, because if the band [i]like[/i] you and your vibe, they're more likely to take you on over some miserable git who is technically brillant.

HAVE FUN !![/quote]

lol! very true!

I just got a gig with a band who, outta the dozen potential bassist, were left with a guy who knew all the songs but the band didn't quite gel with, or me, who needed to work on a few tunes, but makes a damn good cuppa tea!

A good brew gets your far :)

Just got the call.

Didnt get the gig, some other fella 'fit' better, blah blah blah blah blah, sorry, thanks for all the effort, blah blah blah, mumble mumble.....

Right ho then.

Kinda relieved, to be honest, he even said on the phone that they consider themselves to be fascistic about the bass - phew!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='alexclaber' post='525106' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:07 PM']I had a horrible feeling that they'd make the wrong decision for fascist reasons.

Alex[/quote]

Yup.

or not, depends on your point of view

Either way, for fascistic reasons is probably accurate....