Why become a member? ×

if you were going to sell an ampeg svt cl head,4x10 and 1x15.....what would you replace them with?

riff raff

I changed from an svt cl and 810 to Ashdown a few years back replacing my Ampeg with an ABM 500 head and 810 and have never looked back although I did upgrade to a Klystron rig but mainly due to GAS :rolleyes: the Ashdown gives you the Ampeg grind and warmth but with more definition and punch than I ever got out of the Ampeg plus much lighter which makes trips from the van easier! :)

[quote name='stevefletch59' post='514016' date='Jun 15 2009, 11:53 AM']As far as the cabs go I'd look at Alex's Barefaced range.[/quote]
yeah a pair of 15s would do that nicely and i'd keep an eye out for anything which has a combination of big partridge transformers and kt88s

Indeed...depends why you are selling..?

I'd assume it was weight and space..otherwise that is a more than decent rocknroll rig.
But the 4x10 and 1x15 aren't that high powered... I'd prefer an 8x10
Personally tho, that sort of thing, IMV, needs crew, and it is a big lump for the power.

In terms of what to replace it with..depends on what sort of sound you are after... I'd stick with a valve pre-amp stage, but maybe ditch the valve output stage on the grounds of expense and weight...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='riff raff' post='514920' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:59 AM']well, im sticking with the svt head.but the cabs just aren't cutting it.pretty open minded.weight and size is not a major issue.[/quote]
phone up matamp ;>

[quote name='riff raff' post='514921' date='Jun 16 2009, 01:06 AM']barefaced vintage is catching my eye.[/quote]

tbh..was never that impressed with the speakers in Ampegs cabs...

I really liked an old MB cab... so have look at these
[url="http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PowerHouseCabs05.htm"]http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bas...HouseCabs05.htm[/url]

or an Ashdown ..maybe the 8x10
[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=abm"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=abm[/url]

IME the SVT amps knock out some power and the Ampeg cabs hardly seem upto it... most of the ones I have tried have sounded worn or well used..
but they may be because they were hired in

Your cheapest option maybe to put Eminence speakers in your exsiting cabs but that is a risk you still may not like the sound
That is also assuming the cabs are solid themselves....

Also, I am thinking you don't want any great high-end stuff like horns etc in the mix ...

Fire it up then with as many speakers that work and see if you like the sound...

Then you can decide if you want to replace the speakers....

or go elsewhere for a cab...

Make sure the impedances are ok if you are running in from a Valve power stage tho... :)

[quote name='riff raff' post='514921' date='Jun 16 2009, 01:06 AM']barefaced vintage is catching my eye.[/quote]

I sold my Boogie cabs (4x10 + 1x15) to get a pair of Barefaced Compacts.
They certainly do the trick and sound great with my Booie 400+.
The big plus is the weight...I carried them both together, one in each hand, up 2 flights of stairs last week!
Not the most comfortable but managable.

JTB