Why become a member? ×

Question; Wondering if its worth it to buy a jazz bass?

SlipperySquid

Hello all, :)

I have been wondering for the past couple of days whether or not to buy a jazz bass as I have been getting into playing funk and slap a lot more.

I cunrrently play a Fender p-bass and a Spector Rebop 4 which is active with EMG humbuckers. When playing slap and funk I use the Spector as it has a really nice bright tone which is really good for slap.

My reasoning for wanting to buy a jazz is I see a lot of people play slap with a jazz bass and they do sound really good for slap. I was wondering if it would be worth buying a jazz and if it would really make a difference when looking for a good slap tone?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Well im a little bias..but for slap a Jazz is awsome...But of course so are alot of other basses..Its all in your preference...I also think the Stingray is a slap machine...Dare i say it better than a Jazz?? :)

Slap sounds great on many basses, its up to you find the slap tone you like...

Of course you wont go wrong with a good Jazz bass..Ive had a good slap tone out of a P Bass too mind!!

Edited by Machines
Unnecessary quoting

Hmmm. If you're happy with the Spector then why be influenced by others ?

The only Jazz i've found I really liked for that style was the Miller Jazz, all others seemed like a weaker version of it (i'm hoping to find one I like !). My Mexican Jazz sounds pretty crap when slapped, but finger style it's absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='Golchen' post='510568' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:52 PM']I had a bad case of Jazz GAS, so I looked and looked and got a real good un ....... and I LOVE IT!!!! Best bass ever (well, out of those I've tried)

It's a Reggie Hamilton V, as shown in my avatar.[/quote]
Wicked! If you ever feel it needs a new home...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2rorUcqL0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2rorUcqL0[/url]

one Fender Jazz bass...

and yes, he did have a signature model of which only 42 were made.

Edited by EBS_freak

I was looking at getting a Squier modified jazz as I heard they are just as good as the MIM fender's as my budget is a bit tight and I am really wanting a jazz!
Then was planning on throwing new pup's on it and a baddass.

Or I could wait a few months and save up, not sure though?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='510576' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:56 PM']Mark King never used a Fender??? :)

he's got a Fender Sig Jazz...[/quote]

Don't put the question marks in later to make it look like you knew what you was talking about...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='510582' date='Jun 10 2009, 08:00 PM']Don't put the question marks in later to make it look like you knew what you was talking about...[/quote]Uhh? :)

I put them in..i cant seem to pull up quotes from others

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='510586' date='Jun 10 2009, 08:03 PM']Uhh? :)

I put them in..i cant seem to pull up quotes from others[/quote]

Yes, you put them in after my post, hence changing the meaning of your original post.

Anyway, if you want a proper jazz slap monster, you need one of these.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='510525' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:13 PM']..Ive had a good slap tone out of a P Bass too mind!![/quote]
+1
I love that old school P-Bass slap tone, awesome.
:)

Edited by nick

Bloody bass whores!!!!

Now look what you've done to the thread :)

What I'd like to know is what makes a jazz bass a jazz bass? I know the basic fender style but what of the more exotic looking basses with dual humbuckers etc? Is it mainly down to neck size/shape? or does it just come down to the overall sound of the thing?

[quote name='SlipperySquid' post='510880' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:11 AM']....What I'd like to know is what makes a jazz bass a jazz bass? I know the basic fender style but what of the more exotic looking basses with dual humbuckers etc? Is it mainly down to neck size/shape? or does it just come down to the overall sound of the thing?....[/quote]
It's only tradition. With the vast improvement in pickups, either passive or active electrics etc, almost any modern bass can do what a Fender Jazz did.