Why become a member? ×

I love lollipops

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Thanks to BB2000, I received a set of Hipshot late 60s-style precision bass lollipop/butterbean/oval tuners in the the post this morning

I just had to drop what I was doing get them fitted them to my Fretless Precision.
This is a bitzer I built a few years ago from MIJ Brandoni Neck & Body, Kent Armstrong Pickup and various bits of Fender hardware.

gotta love them lollys

[quote name='BB2000' post='509352' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:14 PM']I've always preferred the look of lollipop tuners to elephant ears. It's surprising that only Hipshot seem to offer them.[/quote]
I've been after a set for this bass for a while for a cool as I put on a set of schaller BMLs which looked a bit too compact. The original 1966 mustangs had small plate lollipops. If Hipshot did a set of those to fit my CIJ mustang including a D-tuner I'd buy them in a shot as that's my main gigging bass at the moment.

[quote name='BB2000' post='509352' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:14 PM']Nice bass - looks like you have a quarter sawn neck there.[/quote]
Cheers! Mmm could be quarter sawn - I've never thought about it, but I always thought it had an unusual grain pattern compared to my fenders, there's a smattering of birds eye on the back which looks good.

Thanks again John. Did I mention I'm really chuffed with these tuners on this bass?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I was going to post a new pic of my fretless hipshot lollyed P, as it it now in addition to the tuners pictured in my first post of this thread, one tuner has now been replaced with a lolly D-tuner - but as its the same as the on in lozbass's pic I guess I'll put the camera down :)

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='800326' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:37 PM']I was going to post a new pic of my fretless hipshot lollyed P, as it it now in addition to the tuners pictured in my first post of this thread, one tuner has now been replaced with a lolly D-tuner - but as its the same as the on in lozbass's pic I guess I'll put the camera down :)[/quote]

Pick the camera up again, I suspect many viewers will much prefer the shape of your headstock!

[quote name='lozbass' post='559098' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:43 AM']I love these too - particularly gorgeous on a Jazz with bound and dot board! Mine (pictured below) isn't such, but lovely anyway[/quote]

That's the only thing I wish was different on my AC - bound board.

[quote name='Toasted' post='800658' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:47 AM']That's the only thing I wish was different on my AC - bound board.[/quote]

Don't want to get too off topic, but ...absolutely - I've been considering having the board on my blue AC bound. However, it's DN and I'm told Jimmy isn't always happy about reducing the visible area with binding/blocks etc. Dots, bound and beans does look a bit gorgeous though...

[quote name='lozbass' post='800665' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:51 AM']Don't want to get too off topic, but ...absolutely - I've been considering having the board on my blue AC bound. However, it's DN and I'm told Jimmy isn't always happy about reducing the visible area with binding/blocks etc. Dots, bound and beans does look a bit gorgeous though...[/quote]

Would you return it to Jimmy to get it bound?

GAS:

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='800681' date='Apr 9 2010, 11:08 AM']Would you return it to Jimmy to get it bound?[/quote]
Given the value of these things and the importance of provenance, I'd be very tempted to return it to Jimmy to get the job done. He knows his necks and his fretting techniques too so it might be better all round if Jimmy was to carry out the work. All this said, I'm in two minds - the bass looks lovely without the binding!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='800764' date='Apr 9 2010, 12:37 PM']JLP, where did you get the lollipop d-tuner from? I can't see them on the Hipshot website.[/quote]
I got mine from joshmsr on ebay. He's a good chap to deal. Looks like he still has some:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290395854410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]
Blummin' good price even with the delivery charge added on.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='801302' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:57 PM']I got mine from joshmsr on ebay. He's a good chap to deal. Looks like he still has some:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290395854410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]
Blummin' good price even with the delivery charge added on.[/quote]
Thanks very much.

[quote name='Clarky' post='801319' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:14 PM']Thats a beautiful fretless you have assembled. Not really thought about tuners much but I like those lollipops[/quote]
Cheers Clarky - I put it together probably about four or five years ago. The stumpy schallers worked perfectly, but always bugged me. The lollys look much better.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='801840' date='Apr 10 2010, 03:01 PM']No probs - don't forget post some pics if you buy one :)[/quote]
I've been considering a set of lollipops (and D-Tuner) on my Squier CV Jazz. However the closest Hipshot replacements seem to be the HB3s whereas the HB2s (the ones available as lollipops) would need new screw holes so I am hesitating ... but maybe not for long.

I already changed the pickups (Wizard 64s) and the scratchplate (white pearl) and I've been considering a J-Retro (not sure it will fit).

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='801302' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:57 PM']I got mine from joshmsr on ebay. He's a good chap to deal. Looks like he still has some:
Blummin' good price even with the delivery charge added on.[/quote]

Damn, I'm gonna have to pick one of them up now :-)

I love my Oval tuner's.

Here's a pic of the hipshots on my self built Jazz next to my '66 Jazz.