Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Gas....

Musicman20

My own P bass GAS has a good chance of being appeased within the next couple of days. Awaiting the arrival of Jase's Lakland Bob Glaub.
I have a Highway1 P Bass and it's a cracker, but somehow I've never felt that it quite filled the boots of my old USA P that got nicked in Cardiff about nine years ago....I'm hoping the Bob Glaub will do the trick.

I see your playing in Louth sometime near the end of July (if I recall). If you fancy a try and I'm about then I may be able to drop in with it.

Not sure of my movements work-wise yet though

[quote name='Hodge' post='516735' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:44 PM']My own P bass GAS has a good chance of being appeased within the next couple of days. Awaiting the arrival of Jase's Lakland Bob Glaub.
I have a Highway1 P Bass and it's a cracker, but somehow I've never felt that it quite filled the boots of my old USA P that got nicked in Cardiff about nine years ago....I'm hoping the Bob Glaub will do the trick.

I see your playing in Louth sometime near the end of July (if I recall). If you fancy a try and I'm about then I may be able to drop in with it.

Not sure of my movements work-wise yet though[/quote]

Ah yeah man those Lakland's are nice!

I use my MIJ Fender P for eveything...I just want a new USA....after they revised them last year I havent stopped looking.

I did have a MIA Fender P Deluxe...but it just wasn't a P Bass in my eyes, too many different controls, too heavy, didnt use the humbucker...etc. Kept it mint and sold it on....the guy loved it which is great. So...this new GAS is for that USA ive always wanted.

We are playing with Your Demise in Louth on 26th June....a pretty big up and coming hardcore band. Its going to be a loud night!

Edited by Musicman20

Personally I'd never pay the new prices for a USA Fender - they're just not worth it IMO & are just playing on the fact that lots of people just have to have that name on the headstock, regardless of how good their products actually are.

Japanese Fenders are far & away the best & most consistent ones I've played & can be picked up for excellent prices. Check out this link to Guitar Emporiums Japanese fender bass list:
[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=2[/url]

[quote name='RhysP' post='516817' date='Jun 17 2009, 07:49 PM']Personally I'd never pay the new prices for a USA Fender - they're just not worth it IMO & are just playing on the fact that lots of people just have to have that name on the headstock, regardless of how good their products actually are.

Japanese Fenders are far & away the best & most consistent ones I've played & can be picked up for excellent prices. Check out this link to Guitar Emporiums Japanese fender bass list:
[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=2[/url][/quote]

The MIJ are awesome. And before they revised the USA models I wasnt so bothered....but now they have, they really are incredible to play, hear and look at.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='516770' date='Jun 17 2009, 07:07 PM']We are playing with Your Demise in Louth on 26th June....a pretty big up and coming hardcore band. Its going to be a loud night![/quote]

Mebbe I'll just sit at home where the beer's cheaper and open my windows then. :)

[quote name='jonthebass' post='516895' date='Jun 17 2009, 09:09 PM']Defo sunburst and maple, here's mine!
[attachment=27265:FullFront.jpg]

Jon[/quote]

Thats a beauty!

God I love a simple P Bass.

When I was about 13 I thought 'why does everyone rave on about them'. had some awful basses back then. As soon as I sold all my cheap ones for my MIJ Fender P...that was it. I had a few guys laugh who liked metal and what not....but ive seen plenty of metal bands with P basses. Simple rock tone, or lovely fat warmth.

Im gonna put flats on the the USA....and keep the MIJ for gigging for now.

MMM...cannot wait!

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='516839' date='Jun 17 2009, 08:14 PM']Off to try the Road worn 50's Precision and the 57 American Vintage Precision tomorrow - see how they compare as ones almost twice the price of the other

BB[/quote]

What did they play like.

Part of me thinks the rosewood looks much smoother and more classic. The maple looks a bit...stuck on with that dark body and dark plate.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='518325' date='Jun 19 2009, 01:03 PM']Stunning Lakland![/quote]

*pokes head out through curtains* ....I said IN PRIVATE!......go and look at the fenders or something *pulls curtains shut again*

Aye, that one does look a tad anemic.

I don't mind those old maples that have gone all yellowy (they match my nicotine fingers) but I do tend to prefer the look of rosewood.

As for the sound, everyone always says maple is brighter and rosewood is warmer but to be honest, by the time the pickups, the amp and the speakers have all added/subtracted elements to/from the tone I'm not sure the difference is worth worrying about if it means you're less satisfied with the look of the instrument.

Not saying that looks are more important than tone.....just that I'm not convinced the fingerboard material has a significant enough effect on tone to swing a decision either way.

The way I see it (perhaps I'm wrong, and I'm more than willing to be corrected if someone wants to explain how it all works) you have a string vibrating between two pieces of metal (the fret and the bridge)....so where exactly does the fingerboard get to make a contribution to the tone?

Is it something to do with how vibrations within the fret are transferred via the fingerboard to the neck and then to the body and bridge and so back to the string? ...dunno?

Having said all that, out of nine electric basses I only own one with a maple fingerboard and that's a G&L SB-2 which has such a brutal sound anyway I'm not sure that I'd notice if the maple board was having much effect.

Maybe I just haven't had enough experience with them to notice the difference?

Edited by Hodge

buy [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIBSON-RD-STANDARD-BASS-1970s-FANTASTIC-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ260430845782QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ca2e35756&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]this [/url]instead

Edited by nash

[quote name='Musicman20' post='519507' date='Jun 20 2009, 07:10 PM']Hows the Lakland?![/quote]

Well it got lots of "oohs and ahs" from the rest of the band when I turned up to last night's gig with it.

It was absolutely gorgeous to play, I'd put TI flats on it and it just played so smoothly. The neck is a work of art.

I've been mostly playing G&Ls for a good while and, while I love them, their narrower but deeper necks aren't my first preference.
In comparison the wide and shallow neck on the Lakland felt very roomy yet accessible.

Sound-wise it's hard to say yet. Last night was not only the first outing for the Lakland but also the first do where I could turn up a bit and hear the new LMiii/Aggie rig.
At times it sounded awesome, other times I was a little less satisfied, although it certainly never sounded bad.
But as yet there's too many variables still to sort out .....the new amp, the new cabs, new bass and also the TIs were straight out the packet so a bit brighter than I'd like.
So it'll be a while before I make up my mind if it's "The One" or not.

One thing that did strike me though was how feeble the G string sounded, although the pick-up is particularly low on that side, and pretty well up on the E side too.
So a bit of fiddling there may sort it, although I'm also considering trying different strings. I like the JF344s on many of my other basses, the Asat and the SB-2, the Highway1 P and the Lakland 44-01 are all great with them.
But maybe this one would benefit from something more meaty?.....dunno, have to try it.

All in all I was very happy with it all last night, but it could be a bit better once I've got it all sussed.

Edit: ....Oh, and thanks for posting those two pictures.
I'd just about talked myself out of getting a tort pickguard for the Lakland and now I'm back to square one.....cheers for that.

Edited by Hodge

Had the gas myself and bought a 50's classic pbass!

Absolutely love it! although it was made in Mexico, it beats my old MIA hands down!

link: [url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0131702306"]http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0131702306[/url]

I changed the pickgausd for a black one and fitted a high mass bridge - luscious!! :) the neck on this is singly the best pbass neck I have ever played! the pics dont do it justice!!

andy

Edited by andy67