Why become a member? ×

Importing from USA

Musicman20

Has anyone ever imported anything direct from the USA...like basses? Or smaller cabs?

Im looking into it, but at the moment, itll only save me about £20-30, and thats if they dont sting it for the total value for VAT. If they sting the real total value, itll be the same price as UK :)

It just might be a little quicker, but...there is a risk of damage I guess. If it comes damage, the 'seller/manufacturer' is in USA...instead of a middle man that can sort it out in the UK.

Opinions? Good or bad idea?

I think you should assume you will have to pay both the full import duty & VAT on anything imported these days. A lot of the old loopholes have been plugged and getting stuff sent as a gift will still incur the full price.

Depends what you're after really, some US made 'boutique' basses are still quite a bit cheaper in the US than over here but the difference on a lot of stuff is marginal - unless the £ recovers more against the $ of course :)

If that's all your saving I should stick with a UK dealer. If there are any problems it will be far easier to fix though a UK distributor than having to go back to the States.

Last year when the $:£ rate was so good I did buy quite a bits of music software. Some got taxed on the way in some may not have been :)

Getting a low value reported can be a false economy (and is fraud anyway) as if there is a problem shipping the reported value will probably be your insured value. That and HMRC are not fools. There are guys in Customs who are aware of the different values of Fenders from different origin (for example) so if it were opened and found to be falsely declared you could end up with it confiscated

If all you're going to be saving is about £30 I wouldn't bother.

I've bought lots of guitars & accessories from the USA and saved quite a bit of money by doing so.
Having said that, the exchange rate isn't great at the moment - I wouldn't even consider buying from the USA at the current rate.

If you do buy you'll get hit for the VAT at 15% & the import duty, which is about 3.5%. They'll add these figures to the FULL amount of what you buy plus the shipping costs. There could also be extra handling charges depending on which courier service is used.

Edited by RhysP

The time to look at importing direct is when the exchange rate is favourable. When the pound was worth nearly two dollars it was worthwhile, but as the exchange rate is only around $1.35 to the £ and you have to fork out around 20% VAT and Duty, plus higher shipping charges, it's not really favourable.

I've done it. It was to get something that didn't exist in this country (a TRB4p of all things - which I didn't like, but that's another story) so it's hard to judge if I got a good deal. One thing that I screwed up was the carriage costs. You (or I did) get charged at both ends for various fees, taxes and handling charges. Above and beyond VAT, which you will pay, the import duty is the least of your worries. Make sure you find out what you are going to charged for transport and delivery, end to end!!

There were times when the pound vs dollar exchange rate was favourable enough to risk importing but these days, unless you are getting a very interesting or rare piece, importing has too many problems for too little benefit. You don't save much these days, you can't try it, can't return it without great expense, don't have a workable guarantee, have to organise and pay for your own repairs and finally, if it's not a mainstream piece, might have problems reselling.

Thanks for the good advice.

I worked out a rough estimate if the VAT was at the 'lower end' of the products value....and I didnt realise there was an import duty as well. If I add that on, we are talking a saving of maybe £20. Not only that, they could add all sorts of charges, and then Id have to pay for the bank transfer itself (around £20).

I did think about the insured aspect as well. if they say 'oh its worth £500' when its worth more, Im not in a good position if anything goes wrong.

The main aspect that has made me think about going through a UK dealer is the fact they can sort any problems. They can also deal with all the stress of getting it here and checking it, etc.

It might take a little more time, but I think going through a dealer here is much safer.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='501558' date='May 30 2009, 12:45 PM']Thanks for the good advice.

I worked out a rough estimate if the VAT was at the 'lower end' of the products value....and I didnt realise there was an import duty as well. If I add that on, we are talking a saving of maybe £20. Not only that, they could add all sorts of charges, and then Id have to pay for the bank transfer itself (around £20).

I did think about the insured aspect as well. if they say 'oh its worth £500' when its worth more, Im not in a good position if anything goes wrong.

The main aspect that has made me think about going through a UK dealer is the fact they can sort any problems. They can also deal with all the stress of getting it here and checking it, etc.

It might take a little more time, but I think going through a dealer here is much safer.[/quote]

Definitely a safe bet. I've imported cabs, heads, preamps and basses from the US and I've been slammed with VAT and import duty every sodding time. The only time I ever avoided it was when I brought the thing back myself. That said though I only did that when taking advantage of the exchange rate (New Geddy Lee w/ flightcase for just over £400 anyone? :rolleyes: ) . You've made a good call :)

Whatcha thinking of picking up?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='501558' date='May 30 2009, 12:45 PM']Thanks for the good advice.

I worked out a rough estimate if the VAT was at the 'lower end' of the products value....and I didnt realise there was an import duty as well. If I add that on, we are talking a saving of maybe £20. Not only that, they could add all sorts of charges, and then Id have to pay for the bank transfer itself (around £20).[/quote] Indeed, you need to add on around £10 - £20 "handling" charge by the courier for dealing with Customs, and bang goes anything you might have saved

Stick to the UK for buying at the moment. Although I had no problems getting my bass from Bass Central (great company to deal with) I did get caught for the full TVA (VAT) and import duty. The bass would have been about a grand dearer here or in the UK at that time so it was worth it to me then, but it's still a bitter pill to swallow when you have to give the delivery driver another £500.

I'd asked Bass Central at the time of purchase, what happens if it gets damaged and was told, although there is insurance in place for that reason, it would still have to be sent back to them. So, until the £ recovers bigtime against the $, stick to the UK.

Thanks guys!

I was looking at all sorts...Fender USA and various USA cab makes.

Despite it being more expensive here, I will just go for the normal UK route.

What I keep thinking is, when the economy recovers, what will happen?! I very much doubt they will lower prices over here...I imagine they will just keep it as it is!

Anyway, Ill have a look at UK prices now.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='502206' date='May 31 2009, 12:29 PM']Thanks guys!

I was looking at all sorts...Fender USA and various USA cab makes.

Despite it being more expensive here, I will just go for the normal UK route.

What I keep thinking is, when the economy recovers, what will happen?! I very much doubt they will lower prices over here...I imagine they will just keep it as it is!

Anyway, Ill have a look at UK prices now.[/quote]

Ahhh... your view of international finance may be slightly lacking. Buying stuff in the UK has always been dear *because* the supply change managed to ignore the current exchange rate! Dollar = Pound is pretty much the starting point. Back in the good old days when there was 2 dollars to the pound something costing $1000 (in the USA) and £1000 (in the UK) could be had for 500 quid plus the costs and taxes. You might have thought it *should* have been 500 quid (UK price) in the first place :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='502225' date='May 31 2009, 12:41 PM']Ahhh... your view of international finance may be slightly lacking. Buying stuff in the UK has always been dear *because* the supply change managed to ignore the current exchange rate! Dollar = Pound is pretty much the starting point. Back in the good old days when there was 2 dollars to the pound something costing $1000 (in the USA) and £1000 (in the UK) could be had for 500 quid plus the costs and taxes. You might have thought it *should* have been 500 quid (UK price) in the first place :)[/quote]

I understand we always pay more here anyway. Definitely...unfortunately. Thats something I can live with. When I was younger and CDs were selling like mad, I went to the states and bought loads of them. They were about £6 or less...usually less.

Then I spoke to a few guys over there, who said its always been like that. We pay more, and that is becuase of how our county works, due to pay levels, inflation, etc. No idea if this is correct, I realise we have to pay more if its a USA product, as the shipping etc is very expensive. Just like the USA has to be a fortune for anything made by Orange (finally we pay less!). But, ah well. I still think some of the recent price rises are disgustingly high. Some of them are justified...but, for example, Ampg gear has gone up about £200 on some of the bigger cabs/amps. £200?! When I look how much they pay for the high end cabs, I just think we have a real raw deal. Ah well...tis the way it is.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='601624' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:44 PM']Now the exchange rate is back to normal....im thinking of importing a Shuttlemax just because they seem really versatile and very cheap over there.

Anyone used Bass Central before?[/quote]

Yep :)

Great guys, nothing is too much for them. Just expect a hard sell!

I remember their manager (name escapes me, he was a body builder) flirting outrageously with my mom on the phone for about 40 mins...

So literally a hard sell then eh? :rolleyes: