Why become a member? ×

Just been introduced to playing of Dee Murray

Monz

Our guitarist slipped me a CD at our gig on monday and said "listen to the bass on <take me to the pilot>"

I knew Tom our guitarist used to be /and still is a very good bass player but this track on Elton Johns second album was what fired his interest and I can see why... It's perfect bass for me... funky, not over the top and so in the pocket it's unreal.

I guess you guys that have been doing this since God were a lad already know how good he was.

Any other players/albums I need to listen to [b]besides the ones with their names in neon[/b]?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LPSMDYzDGM&feature=PlayList&p=9B4BCBA2136E4CF4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26"]YouTube link to above track[/url]
[i]
edit to include link to track[/i]

Edited by Monz

[quote name='Monz' post='500325' date='May 28 2009, 10:07 PM']Our guitarist slipped me a CD at our gig on monday and said "listen to the bass on <take me to the pilot>"

I knew Tom our guitarist used to be /and still is a very good bass player but this track on Elton Johns second album was what fired his interest and I can see why... It's perfect bass for me... funky, not over the top and so in the pocket it's unreal.

I guess you guys that have been doing this since God were a lad already know how good he was.

Any other players/albums I need to listen to besides the ones with their names in neon?[/quote]

+1 on Dee Murray.

Whether there's anyone else depends on who you are already aware of.

But, in my view, any bass player should be familiar with:
James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Jerry Jemmott, Tommy Cogbill, Joe Osborn, Carole Kaye, Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Bernard Edwards, for starters.

+1 on the whole Tumbleweed Connection album, was the point where you could still refer to EJ as a singer/songwriter without sniggering. There's a live album (17-11-70) from this period with just Elton John, Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson that has some very solid bass playing. Let me know if you want to check it out.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='500339' date='May 28 2009, 10:15 PM']+1 on Dee Murray.

Whether there's anyone else depends on who you are already aware of.

But, in my view, any bass player should be familiar with:
James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Jerry Jemmott, Tommy Cogbill, Joe Osborn, Carole Kaye, Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Bernard Edwards, for starters.[/quote]

Makes note of

Jerry Jemmott
Tommy Cogbill

Cheers

[quote name='grumble' post='500353' date='May 28 2009, 10:26 PM']+1 on the whole Tumbleweed Connection album, was the point where you could still refer to EJ as a singer/songwriter without sniggering. There's a live album (17-11-70) from this period with just Elton John, Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson that has some very solid bass playing. Let me know if you want to check it out.[/quote]

Thats he album cover (17-11-70) I have in my hand this very moment :)

The CD has been on repeat for the last 2 hours

Edited by Monz

[quote name='iamapirate' post='500330' date='May 28 2009, 10:09 PM']james jamerson?
Early Stevie Wonder stuff? (Sir duke, Master Blaster)
Jamiroquai has some nice funky stuff out there if you're into fx and synffs

oh, has anyone here badmouthed the rush bassist here? I hear he's pretty good![/quote] :)

[quote name='Monz' post='500325' date='May 28 2009, 10:07 PM']Our guitarist slipped me a CD at our gig on monday and said "listen to the bass on <take me to the pilot>"

Any other players/albums I need to listen to [b]besides the ones with their names in neon[/b]?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LPSMDYzDGM&feature=PlayList&p=9B4BCBA2136E4CF4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26"]YouTube link to above track[/url]
[i]
edit to include link to track[/i][/quote]

I've always been a fan of the bass playing on EJ's albums, particularly late 70's / early 80's period. Don't know if it's all Dee Murray though (I think he had another fairly regular guy on bass duties in the 80's...please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Check out the bass on "Chloe" from The Fox. Don't know if this is Dee Murray but nevertheless it's the same thang - perfection in terms of tone, note choice, placement and overall understatement. Makes the song IMO.

Other "in the pocket" stuff that still floats my boat after many years and helped fuel my original desire to play bass;

AWB - obvious choice really but especially "Atlantic Avenue", "Cloudy", "Work To Do" and "Person To Person" (Alan Gorrie and/or Hamish Stuart)

Kenny Loggins - "Love Will Follow" from Vox Humana (Nathan East, I believe? Nice nail-picked intro...)

A lot of stuff from the Solar Records stable featuring Leon F Sylvers III (i.e. Shalamar, The Whispers etc.). Don't laugh :) I know it sounds cheesy (!!) but just check out his classic P-bass note-perfect riffage on songs like "There It Is", "Sweeter As The Days Go By" (both Shalamar) and "And The Beat Goes On". I bet most of us would find it hard to nail parts like that and make them sound so easy!

There's so much more but I just can't think of them...!

[quote name='Monz' post='500354' date='May 28 2009, 10:26 PM']Makes note of
Tommy Cogbill[/quote]
Big +1 for Tommy Cogbill. Just listen to [i]Dusty in Memphis[/i], particularly "I Don't Want to Hear It Any More" and "Son of a Preacher Man". Now [i]that's[/i] a bass player.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='500734' date='May 29 2009, 11:48 AM']....Big +1 for Tommy Cogbill. Just listen to [i]Dusty in Memphis[/i], particularly "I Don't Want to Hear It Any More" and "Son of a Preacher Man". Now [i]that's[/i] a bass player....[/quote]
Son Of A Preacher Man always gets the mention, but for me, Tommy Cogbill made far more important and influential records when he recorded the likes of Memphis Soul Stew and the early Atlantic Aretha Franklin, like Do Right Woman.

[quote name='chris_b' post='500765' date='May 29 2009, 12:11 PM']Son Of A Preacher Man always gets the mention, but for me, Tommy Cogbill made far more important and influential records when he recorded the likes of Memphis Soul Stew and the early Atlantic Aretha Franklin, like Do Right Woman.[/quote]
Noted! I'll seek them out...

I'm no Cogbill expert. I just have [i]Dusty in Memphis[/i] on the playlist in my shop, so I hear those basslines day in, day out. I never tire of them. The simplicity and fluidity just add an extra layer of depth to the songs. Awesome.

Any other players/albums I need to listen to [b]besides the ones with their names in neon[/b]?[/quote]

Just checked my albums and Dee Murray is on most of the early classic E.J classics. Still in the same E.J arena have a look at his "Rock of the Westies" album. Bass more to the fore in the mix and played by a Kenny Passarelli.

Have a listen to The Steve Miller Band (70's). Lonnie Turner on bass. He's apparently playing the second ever Music Man bass.
Once again, he's just there. You'd miss him if he wasn't there.

Balcro

Pete Way of waystead and ufo. The ultimate in good time dont give a monkeys about technical playing bass god. (Yes I did take drugs when I seen ufo at the fabled Glasgow apollo).The man who made me buy a thunderbird-which was crap for me and ended up being punted!

[attachment=26177:ufo.jpg]

Jez :)