Why become a member? ×

Crap songs with great basslines

beardybass

[quote name='casapete' post='499922' date='May 28 2009, 02:58 PM']How about the early singles by the Real Thing- 'You to me are everything', and 'Cant get by without you' ?
Both well crafted pop songs (okay both v.similar) with great bass lines, yet predating a lot of the great US disco era stuff too.
Saw them live in the late 70's and they were ace.[/quote]

Didn't one of the guys from The Real thing write Thriller for Michael Jackson?

Here goes....

I always liked the line in 'My Camera Never Lies' by Bucks Fizz...no idea who played it..I also liked Jay Aston but then who didn't?

Video Killed The Radio Star...Trevor Horn on bass I am guessing with a bit of fretless chucked in at the start for good measure.

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Rich' post='497995' date='May 26 2009, 02:09 PM']'Men In Black', Will Smith. Sampled (i.e. utterly stolen) from 'Forget Me Nots', which is infinitely the better tune.[/quote]

I believe Freddie Washington recreated the song with Will Smith's "rapping" over the top and some lovely tasteless modern sequencing (and doubtless got a nice big fat royalty in the process!)...

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='503671' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:15 PM']Didn't one of the guys from The Real thing write Thriller for Michael Jackson?[/quote]

Think you're thinking of Rod Temperton from the UK disco band 'Heatwave'.
They had hits around the same time as The Real Thing, and Rod went on to do some stuff with Quincy Jones
on early Michael Jackson album 'Off the Wall' and also 'Thriller'.

Heatwave were based in my area for a while (then called Chicago Heatwave I believe), and I saw them
once in a local club. They went on to do really well with stuff like 'Always and Forever' and 'Boogie Nights',
which had a good bassline too.

[quote name='casapete' post='503733' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:03 PM'][b] and Rod went on to do some stuff with Quincy Jones[/b][/quote]

And some more... :lol:
:) :rolleyes:

Songwriting credits
Temperton wrote/co-wrote for the following singers/bands[4]:[5]

Michael Jackson: "Rock with You", "Off the Wall", "Burn This Disco Out", "Baby Be Mine", "The Lady In My Life" and "Thriller", "Someone In The Dark", "Hot Street".
Heatwave: "Boogie Nights", "The Groove Line", "Gangsters of the Groove", "Lettin' it loose", "Always and Forever"
James Ingram & Michael McDonald: "Yah Mo B There".
Tamia: "You Put a Move on My Heart".
Rufus: "Masterjam", "Live In Me".
The Brothers Johnson: "Stomp!" and "Treasure" "Light up the Night", "All About The Heaven".
Donna Summer: "Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)", "Livin' In America" and "Love Is Just A Breath Away".
Quincy Jones: "The Dude", "Razzamatazz", "Somethin' Special", "Turn On The Action", "The Secret Garden and "Back On The Block", "Baby Come to Me", "You Put a Move on My Heart" and "Q's Jook Joint".
Herbie Hancock: "Lite Me Up", "Getting To The Good Part", "Motor Mouth".
Aretha Franklin: "Livin' In The Streets".
Jeffrey Osborne: "We Belong To Love" (which Temperton also produced).
Bob James: "Sign Of The Times" and "The Steamin' Feelin'".
The Manhattan Transfer: "Mystery", "The Spice Of Life", from their Bodies and Souls album.
George Benson: Give Me The Night LP, including "Love x Love", "Turn Out the Lamplight" and the title track.
James Ingram: It's Your Night LP.
Anita Baker: "Mystery" from her Rapture album.
Patti Austin: Every Home Should Have One LP; "Do You Love Me?", "The Genie".
Second Image: Lights Out on "Strange Reflections"
Michael McDonald: "Sweet Freedom".
Stephanie Mills: "Time of Your Life" and "Hold On to Midnight".
Karen Carpenter: "Lovelines" and "If We Try".
LL Cool J featuring Boyz II Men: "Hey Lover".
Mica Paris: "Love Keeps Coming Back", "Two in a Million", & "You Put A Move On My Heart".
Mýa: "Man in my Life".
Klymaxx: "Man-Size Love".
C+C Music Factory: "Share That Beat of Love".
Angie Stone: "Lovers' Ghetto" from her Stone Love album.
Mariah Carey: "I'm That Chick" from her E=MC² album .

[edit] Production credits
Kim Wilde: "Say You Really Want Me".
Jeffrey Osborne: "We Belong To Love".
Quincy Jones: "I'll Be Good to You", "The Secret Garden", "I Don't Go For That", "Stomp"[6]
Patti Austin: "Givin' In To Love"

[edit] See also
Grammy Awards of 1991
Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement
Academy Award for Best Original Song
Academy Award for Original Music Score Colour Purple

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='503762' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:25 PM']And some more... :lol:
:) :rolleyes:

Songwriting credits
Temperton wrote/co-wrote for the following singers/bands[4]:[5]

Michael Jackson: "Rock with You", "Off the Wall", "Burn This Disco Out", "Baby Be Mine", "The Lady In My Life" and "Thriller", "Someone In The Dark", "Hot Street".
Heatwave: "Boogie Nights", "The Groove Line", "Gangsters of the Groove", "Lettin' it loose", "Always and Forever"
James Ingram & Michael McDonald: "Yah Mo B There".
Tamia: "You Put a Move on My Heart".
Rufus: "Masterjam", "Live In Me".
The Brothers Johnson: "Stomp!" and "Treasure" "Light up the Night", "All About The Heaven".
Donna Summer: "Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)", "Livin' In America" and "Love Is Just A Breath Away".
Quincy Jones: "The Dude", "Razzamatazz", "Somethin' Special", "Turn On The Action", "The Secret Garden and "Back On The Block", "Baby Come to Me", "You Put a Move on My Heart" and "Q's Jook Joint".
Herbie Hancock: "Lite Me Up", "Getting To The Good Part", "Motor Mouth".
Aretha Franklin: "Livin' In The Streets".
Jeffrey Osborne: "We Belong To Love" (which Temperton also produced).
Bob James: "Sign Of The Times" and "The Steamin' Feelin'".
The Manhattan Transfer: "Mystery", "The Spice Of Life", from their Bodies and Souls album.
George Benson: Give Me The Night LP, including "Love x Love", "Turn Out the Lamplight" and the title track.
James Ingram: It's Your Night LP.
Anita Baker: "Mystery" from her Rapture album.
Patti Austin: Every Home Should Have One LP; "Do You Love Me?", "The Genie".
Second Image: Lights Out on "Strange Reflections"
Michael McDonald: "Sweet Freedom".
Stephanie Mills: "Time of Your Life" and "Hold On to Midnight".
Karen Carpenter: "Lovelines" and "If We Try".
LL Cool J featuring Boyz II Men: "Hey Lover".
Mica Paris: "Love Keeps Coming Back", "Two in a Million", & "You Put A Move On My Heart".
Mýa: "Man in my Life".
Klymaxx: "Man-Size Love".
C+C Music Factory: "Share That Beat of Love".
Angie Stone: "Lovers' Ghetto" from her Stone Love album.
Mariah Carey: "I'm That Chick" from her E=MC² album .

[edit] Production credits
Kim Wilde: "Say You Really Want Me".
Jeffrey Osborne: "We Belong To Love".
Quincy Jones: "I'll Be Good to You", "The Secret Garden", "I Don't Go For That", "Stomp"[6]
Patti Austin: "Givin' In To Love"

[edit] See also
Grammy Awards of 1991
Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement
Academy Award for Best Original Song
Academy Award for Original Music Score Colour Purple

Garry[/quote]

So isn't short of a few bob then!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='503440' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:59 PM']Yup, good choice. I've played that song to death over the years, some cracking little runs and fills - and complete with the token one slapped note!
Dave Navarro played on it too.

Another song with a fun bassline yet a naff(ish) song is Just A Girl, by No Doubt - who in a rather nice segue, supported the Chilis when I first saw them in '96. ("Fascinating", i hear you all say!! :) :rolleyes: )[/quote]

+1 on just a girl,, seems to get covered around here a lot ,
an the joint riff between guitar an bass is a joy when ya get it right..

Used to real enjoy playing Twisted by Skunk Anansie,,, took a while too get right so no-one could appreciatte it lol!!

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='504962' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:28 PM']I've never been Jacko's biggest fan, but I think you're definitely in the "songs you don't like" category rather than "crap songs" there.[/quote]

Willingly Conceded

Pretty much aything by Duran Duran. Despite this sweeping statement, I think 'Rio' as a song has it all going on. Next time it's on the radio or you're bored on YouTube, check it out; Rio has so many genius bass riffs in it, it's actually frightening.

+1 on ABBA bass lines, although it is also great songwriting. Voulez Vouz has an almost prog-tastic main riff and Yngwie Malmsteen didn't a fantastic cover of Gimme Gimme Gimme A Man After Midnight (changed to Gimme Gimme Gimme Your Love After Midnight).

+1 on Just A Girl by No Doubt. Tragic Kingdom is another track from the same album that has a great bass line and arguably no real direction to the song (but still kind of cool in a progressive rock/ska kind of way).

Madness have had some great bass moments - House Of Fun and Baggy Trousers being two diamonds in the rough.

Groove Is In The Heart by Dee Lite is also quite a strong contender for this title.

[quote name='markdavid' post='496134' date='May 23 2009, 03:56 PM']call me al and 50 ways to leave your lover by paul simon are both crap songs with good basslines , I still cringe every time I hear the lyrics to 50 ways to leave your lover[/quote]

Also anything by Level 42

[quote name='markdavid' post='509342' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:07 PM']Also anything by Level 42[/quote]

Haha I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it. They've written one or two good songs, but a lot of it is great bass playing and drumming combining with mediocre songwriting IMHO.

Also, pretty much anything by Toto. I absolutely love, Rosanna, Hold The Line and Africa, but a lot of it is just cringeworthy songwriting combined with great musicianship.