Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

Won't the little cages vibrate sympathetically too?

Or are they under a great deal of tension from the weight of the rocks??

Never built a stone room myself so I have no idea what the result should be, but I'd expect a long bright diffuse reverb for the room size. Is that even close to your expectation??

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357550061' post='1924168']
Won't the little cages vibrate sympathetically too?

Or are they under a great deal of tension from the weight of the rocks??

Never built a stone room myself so I have no idea what the result should be, but I'd expect a long bright diffuse reverb for the room size. Is that even close to your expectation??
[/quote]Excellent point. I would also expect the cages to rattle like mad now you mention it. Maybe it's just for vocals, strings and such?

There are 7 tons of boulders, each one about the size of a man's head, stretching those baskets every way you can imagine. There are no rattles.

As for the reverb, quite the opposite actually. The mahoosive diffusion and lack of parallel walls has the effect of reducing the decay time but concentrating/intensifying and smoothing the reverb.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357598284' post='1925288']
Sounds ace, want to hear it for real now though :D
[/quote]

You know where to find me! ;-)

Think of it this way. In a small square room you will have 6 sets of early reflections coming back at you. Because of the different distances from mic, source and yours ears you will hear the gap between the reflections. We hear that as a slap echo. In this room because of the multitude of rounded boulders and lack of parallel walls there are about a thousand early reflections all arriving at your ear within nanoseconds of each other, but there's then no parallel wall to slap them right back to you. Result? Very intense reverb with a short decay.

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1357668582' post='1926399']
You know where to find me! ;-)

Think of it this way. In a small square room you will have 6 sets of early reflections coming back at you. Because of the different distances from mic, source and yours ears you will hear the gap between the reflections. We hear that as a slap echo. In this room because of the multitude of rounded boulders and lack of parallel walls there are about a thousand early reflections all arriving at your ear within nanoseconds of each other, but there's then no parallel wall to slap them right back to you. Result? Very intense reverb with a short decay.
[/quote]

So its like very very random diffusion rather than carefully worked out with a slide rule diffusion?

Kind of.....

Sounds very very cool. And yes I will be working out an excuse for a trip up to yours as soon as I can - dont you worry :D

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1358198253' post='1934806']...open fully for business by the end of January!
[/quote]

But which year..? :P

Just joshin'; it's a great project that we're privileged to share through your posts here. Many thanks for the ride.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1358203090' post='1934957']
But which year..? :P

Just joshin'; it's a great project that we're privileged to share through your posts here. Many thanks for the ride.
[/quote]

Haha! (Im able to laugh again so we must be close at this point... ;-)

There's still quite a lot to do around the place but I've got a bunch of back to back sessions in at the moment so I'm not sure how quickly it'll happen.

This week the developer is working on updating the Circle Studios website. As an aside though, the various live rooms can now be rented out separately for budget or even DIY recordings through our sister company http://www.dbmstudios.co.uk

Take a look and tell me what you think!

Edited by Rimskidog

I think that looks excellent - especially the DIY bit, creative bit of business strategy that, you have no idea how many times I've done a bit of sly tracking in an at best halfway decent sounding rehearsal room to help friends out etc etc, knowing the room is going to sound excellent wouldnt half help!

Does the DIY option come with a computer to allow you to do the recording? For example, I'm a protools user but don't have a system which could really be transported to the studio (doesn't support Firewire anyway :lol:).

A local rehearsal room has a really interesting offer where they allow an "overnight" session (10pm - 10am) for a reduced rate as it won't impact on normal studio hours, which may be something to consider :)

Been tracking the progress of this for a while and have been very interested, especially as a musician who lives in Birmingham. I currently help manage a new music store in Sutton Coldfield and although I'm sure you have plans to get the word out, if you get any cards or adverts any time soon, send me a PM and I'll make sure I spread the word to anyone who sounds like they might be interested. :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1358377994' post='1938370']
I think that looks excellent - especially the DIY bit, creative bit of business strategy that, you have no idea how many times I've done a bit of sly tracking in an at best halfway decent sounding rehearsal room to help friends out etc etc, knowing the room is going to sound excellent wouldnt half help!
[/quote]

Cool. Glad you like the idea!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358425777' post='1938855']
Does the DIY option come with a computer to allow you to do the recording? For example, I'm a protools user but don't have a system which could really be transported to the studio (doesn't support Firewire anyway :lol:).

A local rehearsal room has a really interesting offer where they allow an "overnight" session (10pm - 10am) for a reduced rate as it won't impact on normal studio hours, which may be something to consider :)
[/quote]

Unfortunately the DIY option doesnt come with a computer. Too much risk of some little tyke uploading a virus or the like I'm afraid.

The overnight option is an interesting one but it would be difficult to reduce the rates significantly if at all because you'd have to pay someone to stay overnight for the security of the place. As you can imagine there wouldnt then be any profit in it unless you had more than one band pulling all nighters.

[quote name='jalapeno' timestamp='1358431576' post='1938996']
Awesome read. Thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

Thanks man! Glad you liked it!

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1358427771' post='1938914']
Been tracking the progress of this for a while and have been very interested, especially as a musician who lives in Birmingham. I currently help manage a new music store in Sutton Coldfield and although I'm sure you have plans to get the word out, if you get any cards or adverts any time soon, send me a PM and I'll make sure I spread the word to anyone who sounds like they might be interested. :)
[/quote]

Hey man! I live in Sutton too! I'd heard there was a new guitar shop in town but havent managed to make it down yet because I've been so busy! Let me know if you want the backstage tour before we open to the public. Likewise if you want us to carry posters/cards let me know. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Websites looking good, I like the twitter on the front page. Nice touch :)

A couple of points I noticed (although I suspect you're well aware of the first) :[list]
[*]On the gear page the link images don't all correspond (Picture of a fretboard for the drums for example).
[*]In a vertical screen the layout doesn't fill the page vertically. No biggy really but thought I would mention it.
[/list]
[attachment=126747:CStudios.png]