Why become a member? ×

How do they do that???

I "accidentally " bought another Yamaha BBG5N11 recently. 

Seller readvertised the bass after a no sale. I put in a cheeky "that won't win" bid - I was the only bidder.

Several days later the spade, er bass arrives. 

Strings are rusty and dirty. Not a set either. Removed I find the Nut is moving freely. 

Previous owner must have been a potato farmer - fretboard is filthy and bone dry. 

No idea where this has been living...

Out come the wipes, cleaning duster and the Lemon oil...half an hour later ee have a clean, oiled fretboard looking infinitely better...Nut now glued in safely. 

Letting the glue dry and the nut to settle in before fitting a set of black tapewounds...

How do people let this happen to instruments??

Everything has a value...why would you neglect something so that it deteriorates??

It's beyond me..

Photos to follow...

• Like 5

The back of the tuners give a suggestion of how well the bass had been cared for. They're a  a bit scabby and the chrome is showing signs of rust coming through the chrome. 

The knobs were glued on, the pots were lose...

Haven't plugged it in yet. 

Hopefully no issues with the electronics. 

20240517_170323.jpg

20240517_170329.jpg

20240517_170337.jpg

20240517_170347.jpg

20240517_170535.jpg

I have to admit, to my shame, that in my younger years I didn’t look after my bass (in the 80s I only had the one) at all. Our guitarist was always commenting on the state of it. Gunk on the fretboard, action really high, intonation not set, I just didn’t look after that bass at all. 

There was an Ibanez on Facebook marketplace, not only did it look like it had been used as a spade, it looked like it had been run over by a large tractor and left lying in the mud for a decade. 

I looked at the photos and decided £10 would have been too much to offer for it.

You have a good catch there, assuming the neck stays stable and it stays in tune for a song at a time. 

• Like 1

It's easy not to notice gradual deterioration of something, which reminds me that I really must give my Eko Ranger 6 its five-yearly restring about now. I might even clean the fretboard.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

TBH I don't know anybody who does....

I think if you put that up as a poll you'd get 99% saying that they do, and the others would be you and anyone who only owns 1960s basses that you couldn't do that with.

• Like 2

Did he advertise it as "like new" , many people do, "mint condition" , "never used" . At least fooking dust the thing off before you sell it....hate those type of sellers...

• Haha 2

Yes, I must confess to being somewhat anal, re the condition of my basses. An instrument, to me, is a precious object, as I still remember when owning one, was far beyond the realms of possibility for me. Although I love The Who, I always felt annoyed when Pete wrecked yet another guitar.

• Like 1