Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Venture - experiences?

Russ

Now that these have been out in the wild for a while, has anyone got experience with them in a live environment? I'm wondering if they have inherited the reliability and QC issues from the old Portaflex and SVT-7 heads. 

Basically, I'd love to buy one - the Ampeg tone is peerless to my ears, but, as someone who's owned both a PF-800 and an SVT-7 before and had them both crap out on me at gigs, I'm cautious and maybe a bit sceptical. 

I've heard that since Yamaha bought Ampeg, things have got a lot better, but I'd like to hear some first-hand experience. I've heard a couple of scare stories, like the V12 being unusually quiet for something with so much power. 

Anyone? 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

They don’t appear to be that popular for some reason ? 

I think Ampeg have a bit of a reputation problem right now, thanks to their previous generation Class D stuff. That’s why I’m not getting one (yet).

Plus, I don’t think it’s a particularly attractive-looking thing. Big, sticky-out knobs, fiddly, fragile-looking little switches, and so on. I can overlook that if the sound is good and it’s going to be reliable, but, a) nobody seems to be able to tell me if they sound any good, and b) they haven’t really been out long enough to have a good measure of their reliability. 

Additionally, it’s a bit of a harder time to be an amp company. With the rise of modellers, IEMs, etc, less people are buying amps these days in general. 

Edited by Russ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Russ said:

I think Ampeg have a bit of a reputation problem right now, thanks to their previous generation Class D stuff. That’s why I’m not getting one (yet).

Plus, I don’t think it’s a particularly attractive-looking thing. Big, sticky-out knobs, fiddly, fragile-looking little switches, and so on. I can overlook that if the sound is good and it’s going to be reliable, but, a) nobody seems to be able to tell me if they sound any good, and b) they haven’t really been out long enough to have a good measure of their reliability. 

Additionally, it’s a bit of a harder time to be an amp company. With the rise of modellers, IEMs, etc, less people are buying amps these days in general. 

Someone did post a very positive review on here a while back. 

But also, Ed Friedland posted on Facebook about a gig he was at using supplied backline and the Venture, in his words, “shit the bed” and had to be replaced in a hurry.

I am definitely the target market for one of these, but I’m holding off too as there’s just not enough experience out there to give me confidence.

Rob