Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris checked tribute build

Czekli

Hello BCers, I'm in the process of collecting parts for a Harris pbass tribute. 

The finish will be the black and white checked one you can see in the "bring your daughter" video.

I'm not planning to go crazy with the donor - probably just get a squier and upgrade the necessary.

Question is how to get the best checked paintjob?

Wrapped? Proper paint? Stickers even?

SH_Rosewood.jpeg

That would be the mother of all paint jobs 😮 Do you know whether the chequer pattern covers the whole bass or just the front/sides? If it was me, I’d probably go with a wrap, but it’s going to be a challenge to get everything to line up if you want the whole body wrapped - that’s a lot of straight lines!

Go with the blue sparkle. Even though he's probably been using his bass in the West Ham colours for longer, it's still the paint job I associate with him ;)

• Like 1

It's not that easy to get any clear idea of the contours which is why was thinking of a wrap. 

I like the blue sparkle but as there's been official fender issues of that finish (mij I think?) so I wanted something different. 

My name also has check in it so it's more personal too.

Posted (edited)

I think the way to go is to mark out the centre line front and back. Then do the check lines front and back and then just follow the lines around the edge of the body. Use the thin pinstripe tape rather than wide builders tape.

I think you'll find it may be an easier job than it first appears.

There's a complete 3x3 grid between the bridge and scratchplate so that gives the dimensions of the squares.

Edited by Si600

The absolute WORST way of doing this is to get a body painted white and stick some Electrician Blac Tape cutted in squares. 

Don't laugh, I bought a P-BAss that had a Pickguard made this way. 

Although, come to think of it that's how Eddie VanHalen decored his geetars. 

Otherwise, you'll need to have a good base coat, then a white paint. and afterwards, you'll have to use a *lot* of masking tape, spray black, waith for it to dry, then use a lot of masking tape for the second part and paint black. 

As showed on the video above, y'oull also need to cover the sides as it'll be difficult to align everything properly. 

So you're talking about a rather long process. You might find some 3M covering that might do the job, although not too easy to apply on the curved parts. 

Looking at the video, if it's not possible to make the back and front joint up, then I wouldn't both with the back at all. Leave it plain white and maybe extend the checks from the front a bit further around the sides.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Looking at the video, if it's not possible to make the back and front joint up, then I wouldn't both with the back at all. Leave it plain white and maybe extend the checks from the front a bit further around the sides.

I agree - it did seem a bit pointless with the gap between the two.

14 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Don't know if this video will be of any use, but looks like Sims Custom Shop didn't attempt to cover the entire body of this Strat: 

This is defo the finish I'd be aiming for. Very helpful video 👍 

• Like 1