Why become a member? ×

MIJ v JMJ

For those that own both

Which is better? Genuinely; I know MIJ is more of a jazz bass profile, and JMJ is more of a p profile. To those who have both which one do you prefer? I'm nervous about getting rid of the MIJ because Its been, well, my signature bass for the past ten years but the slim neck has always been a bit of a strange thing compared to literally every other bass Ive played. However, I only originally got into the MIJ Mustang because of owing a 70s Music master. I remember the neck being the most comfortable thing I've ever played but the strat pick up sucked. Is the old p bass profile recreated in the JMJ? 

My other main basses are a CIJ P bass and Rickenbacker 4003, so is it even worth it to swap out the Japanese Mustang when I've got the other fat neck bois.

Obviously I would love to try one but there aren't any near me

Edited by EllCurrell95

Funny you should ask this as tomorrow I am meeting a fellow basschatter to exchange my 2004 olympic white CIJ mustang bass for his black JMJ, both basses being in the same ballpark value wise.

The CIJ was my first mustang and in a previous band was my go-to gigging instrument. Back then I always said that I'd never sell it, but I always wanted a daphne blue one. When the JMJs first appeared in daphne blue I bought one despite not really being into the finish being roadworn, however I grew to appreciate that as I can gig the bass without worrying about it picking up dings on the body. I now own two blue ones and after tomorrows meetup I'll also own two black ones. The JMJs have been my rehearsing and gigging basses for several years.

The MIJ/CIJ mustang necks have a thicker glossy poly finish and a skinny profile like a Jazz bass, but the thin nitro finish on the JMJ necks is more satin/almost matt with the profile more like a nice precision. As I got used to the JMJs I played the CIJ less as I preferred the feel and chunkier neck profile of the JMJs.

I also have a couple of 72 musicmasters — the secret to getting these to sound great is to fit a Kent Armstrong cool rails strat humbucker pickup like this one: https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/products/mini-humbucker-power-blades-cool-enclosed-cover

1442499507-49931700.jpg

Posted (edited)

Does this fellow bass chatter have three of them available? Because that's what's inspired this post... 

I feel I must edit that I don't have the Musicmaster anymore, bought it when it was reasonable vintage price (£500 in 2014, wine red and jesus they've doubled!) and sold it months later when I got the mustang so didn't get to change the pickup but ngl I do kinda buy basses more on what they look like, shame on me...

Edited by EllCurrell95

I love the JMJs, as a Precision player for many years the neck on them was so familiar it made the changeover to short scale so easy, however due to developing arthritis in my left thumb I’ve had to switch allegiance to the MIJs which I find less painful to play. In all honesty if I could have stuck with the JMJs I would have, but needs must and the MIJs aren’t a compromise, they’re great basses too.

My JMJ has the same profile as my '73 precision. I've never played another precision with this neck profile but it is wonderful.

I've gone short scale because of shoulder problems and I love my JMJ. I still gig long scale occasionally

43 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

I know MIJ is made in Japan, I assume CIJ is crafted in Japan, does this refer to a specific period of Japanese fenders?

What's JMJ?

From wiki

1996/1997: "Crafted in Japan" (CIJ) is used instead of "Made in Japan" (MIJ) Dyna Gakki take over the manufacturing contract from FujiGen Gakki.

and…

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/mustang-bass/jmj-road-worn-mustang-bass/0144060390.html

1 hour ago, spencer.b said:

I know MIJ is made in Japan, I assume CIJ is crafted in Japan, does this refer to a specific period of Japanese fenders?

What's JMJ?

Justin Meldal-Johnsen, it’s his signature bass

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I love the JMJs, as a Precision player for many years the neck on them was so familiar it made the changeover to short scale so easy, however due to developing arthritis in my left thumb I’ve had to switch allegiance to the MIJs which I find less painful to play. In all honesty if I could have stuck with the JMJs I would have, but needs must and the MIJs aren’t a compromise, they’re great basses too.

Well I had a chat with a Basschatter earlier who suggested that as I love the JMJs why not get the necks slimmed down. So tentative enquiries made to The Bass Gallery, have to take one in to get a quote but fingers crossed I’ll be able to keep the basses I love.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Justin Meldal-Johnsen, it’s his signature bass

Ahhh of course, the beck guy's signature Mustang as opposed to the standard Mustang  , all makes sense now! Thanks mate

Edited by spencer.b

I’d be intrigued to play a JMJ.

I've been using a white MIJ Mustang for about six or seven years and while I love it, it’s a bit lighter sounding than my P bass.

The neck is small and comfortable, but I wonder if the thicker JMJ neck also gives a bit more meat to the sound (I’ve found necks to be an important part of how a bass sounds).

My MIJ is nicely balanced tho and a thicker neck could upset that, all other things being equal.