Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn.

greyparrot

Before this descends into acrimony let's get something agreed.

When selling, there is a [i]loose convention[/i], observed by some (including me) but not all, that items circulating within the membership trade at a sort of "what I paid for it" cost. But it's not a rule.

If the poster [i]offers[/i] to sell or trade his bass at a 60-100% profit over what he paid another member, he's perfectly entitled to do so - and he's very reasonably justified his position in this earler sale thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48950"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48950[/url]. As, indeed, he's allowed to offer it, withdraw it, then re-offer it.

In the same way, it's up to us to evaluate his offer and decide whether to accept it. If you've an issue with him, the convention is to PM him.

Now, can he just get on with trying to move his bass? :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='490574' date='May 17 2009, 02:57 PM']Before this descends into acrimony let's get something agreed.

When selling, there is a [i]loose convention[/i], observed by some (including me) but not all, that items circulating within the membership trade at a sort of "what I paid for it" cost. But it's not a rule.

If the poster [i]offers[/i] to sell or trade his bass at a 60-100% profit over what he paid another member, he's perfectly entitled to do so - and he's very reasonably justified his position in this earler sale thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48950"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48950[/url]. As, indeed, he's allowed to offer it, withdraw it, then re-offer it.

In the same way, it's up to us to evaluate his offer and decide whether to accept it. If you've an issue with him, the convention is to PM him.

Now, can he just get on with trying to move his bass? :)[/quote]

+1 on all of the above. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of making a profit, Rich was up front about selling it on openly, which as I suggested in the previous thread, isn't always the case on here. I was thinking about the Pre EB Stingray I traded on here a while back. The seller wanted £1000 but I didn't have it, so I offered a new Stingray and cash, which he accepted. The new Stingray was worth between £800 and £900 to me and therefore the pre EB cost me a lot more than the asking price. I eventually decided on buying a Wal, I needed to raise £1500, I was offered £1400 for the pre EB so I took it. Technically I made a £400 profit on the seller's original asking price, but in real terms I didn't make any profit at all as the cash plus Stingray came to about £1400. Now I'm sure none of that made sense, but I gues what I'm saying is that profit and loss in the bass trading market are never quite as clear cut as they seem. This week I'm moving house and needed to get rid of some stuff so did so very cheaply (both basses went with about 2 hours of listing them). I needed the money and the space so it served me to get rid of them quickly. If those guys sell on at a profit it doesn't worry me as it doesn't affect me any more, simple as :rolleyes:
Chris

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='490858' date='May 17 2009, 08:55 PM']I have a nice Sadowsky Metro PJ4 - I paid £950 for it but I've pit some DR Sunbeams on it so it's probably worth about £1600 now. I'll swap with you - I can drive down sarf the day after tomorrow so if you're agreeable, I'll C U Next Tuesday?[/quote]

No nut ill give you £400 for yours without the strings?

I think if he paid a low price for it, it's perfectly in his right to sell it for what it's worth. I think it would be a little cheeky, however, if he was to sell it to the previous owned for more than what he paid, but that would be his perogative. Good luck selling the bass :) And for heaven's sake, put a black pickguard on that thing! :rolleyes:

[quote name='budget bassist' post='490869' date='May 17 2009, 09:09 PM']I think if he paid a low price for it, it's perfectly in his right to sell it for what it's worth. I think it would be a little cheeky, however, if he was to sell it to the previous owned for more than what he paid, but that would be his perogative. Good luck selling the bass :) And for heaven's sake, put a black pickguard on that thing! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ok so far the best offer is from a previous owner says alot huh. And that for a 5 string gb spitfire and cash very tempting, but will look into these basses as no nothing about them. Ok keep em rolling. Iv had about 10 offers so far. Not bad in two hours.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='490870' date='May 17 2009, 09:10 PM']Mine was a serious offer - waddya think? :)[/quote]

To be honest i have only ever played one, and that was an old one with dead strings many years ago. I put it back fast. Will try to play one local though as had 3 offers for Sadowskys so far, and all metros. I dont think i would want a metro. no disrespect, but would like a us version.

Thanks anyway.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='490886' date='May 17 2009, 09:32 PM']i'd never buy a sadowsky metro, the name bears too close a relation to a crappy car that should have died when the 80's did :)[/quote]

Ha ha no more metros please, oly NYC ones !!

Thanks

[quote name='greyparrot' post='490898' date='May 17 2009, 09:44 PM']Ha ha no more metros please, oly NYC ones !!

Thanks[/quote]

Don't knock 'em mate, I could park mine plus an extra Jazz Bass in the gap between the neck and the body in the photo above :)

Seriously, check out the threads regarding NYC and Metro, especially in comparison with, for example, USA and non-USA Laklands, Fenders etc, and I think you'll see the point. Mine's off the market now, but if you're looking for a great gigging bass you could do a whole lot worse as a trade for yours.
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='490909' date='May 17 2009, 09:55 PM']Please name names as I've so far only found one available on the whole forum and that was some time ago![/quote]

Look at the first 2 on the other thread and just been asked about a vintage j4 waiting to hear if its a NY one. Keep the offers rolling guys, Thanks

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='490916' date='May 17 2009, 10:01 PM']Having owned a Metro, a US Lakland and a Skyline I'd have to say that the Metro's are a bit special. What's in a name anyway, I mean one of my nicest basses is called a Thumb :)

[/quote]

I wish i could try one somewhere but i still want a US i think. I have tried asian laklands, and they are very very good. Does anyone have a sound clip link with a metro??

Thanks.

[quote name='Beedster' post='490914' date='May 17 2009, 10:00 PM']Don't knock 'em mate, I could park mine plus an extra Jazz Bass in the gap between the neck and the body in the photo above :)

Seriously, check out the threads regarding NYC and Metro, especially in comparison with, for example, USA and non-USA Laklands, Fenders etc, and I think you'll see the point. Mine's off the market now, but if you're looking for a great gigging bass you could do a whole lot worse as a trade for yours.
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but why did you wanna trade your metro for another fender if they are that good? I see you have 2 or 3 fenders at the moment. Why if they are that great do people wanna chop there sadowskys for a fender?? No as far as metros go, not interested. 3 offers for metros has kinda put me off. No just us ones please as far as sadowskys go. Thanks.

Edited by greyparrot

I suspect that talking of common sense and sound reasoning in relation to the desires of bass purchasers is a folly :)

I have an inexplicable desire to own a jazz bass at the mo. It's undoubtedly a passing BC driven phase and I know that a Sadowsky (Metro or otherwise) would be more likely to be a 'good one' than a standard US or Mexican (i.e. not a Custom Shop) Fender. Hell even modern VM or CV Squiers can sound better - too much of a lottery for the money methinks.