Why become a member? ×

The bass model design that You hate with passion.

On 15/04/2024 at 18:38, paul_5 said:

Sire? Steinberger.

What’s not to like? Literally. There’s nothing there to dislike. Is it possible to dislike something that doesn’t exist? So is a “Steinberger headstock” actually an oxymoron?

5 hours ago, Angel said:

I don't like most singlecuts. They just look ugly to me.

However, I can pick one bass that I HATE the look of, the Parker Fly bass. The original Parker fly guitars I think looked brilliant, so original. The Bass version just looks like a whopping great a r s e.  Horrible horrible. It looks like one of the guitars got depressed and sat comfort eating for a couple of years.

IMm1_164907208-86121_parker-fly-bass-th.

Reminds me of one of these:

IMG_9573.jpeg

• Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 08:37, Nice Guy Rich said:

I love Precisions but, I HATE them with PJ pickups. 

This.

Someone thought, ‘Let’s create a bass to make everyone happy by putting a P pickup in the middle and a J pickup near the bridge.’ No, it doesn’t work. The timeless glory of the P pickup quite naturally overpowers the pathetic weedy bridge J unit. Worst of all is where some goon has taken a lovely 60s P and hacked a hole as close as physically possible to the bridge, guaranteeing that the J pickup will sound thinner and weedier than ever.

And it just looks wrong too. Countless numbers of PJ basses have been churned out at all price points, and they’re all wasted on my me (and of course my tastes are beyond reproach).

Sorry to be so on-the-fence on this…

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Worst of all is where some goon has taken a lovely 60s P and hacked a hole as close as physically possible to the bridge, guaranteeing that the J pickup will sound thinner and weedier than ever.

The absolute worst thing about those conversion jobs is when one comes up for sale somewhere and the hordes of Fender fanbois pile in to whinge about the modification that was done to some cheap throwaway bass when it was ten years old and well past what could laughably be referred to as its best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Funnily enough, I'm loving mine! It looks far more interesting than yer Fenders, and I find it doesn't dig in at all, though I strap it on good and high... Great sound too from the EMGs.

U wuz robbd! U shoulda bought a 1961 Fender wot only makes one noise for £6k instead!

JK- great photo!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The basic shape is ugh... but then add two stumpy little feet...

VSB_BK-2S-Product-1.png

I love that one!

Wish I owned one.

It is such an original and elegant design.

A shame it was discontinued way too early, because of.... well let's not offend anyone... But this is why we can't have nice things, unless paying more than I could ever afford. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, JapanAxe said:

This.

Someone thought, ‘Let’s create a bass to make everyone happy by putting a P pickup in the middle and a J pickup near the bridge.’ No, it doesn’t work. The timeless glory of the P pickup quite naturally overpowers the pathetic weedy bridge J unit. Worst of all is where some goon has taken a lovely 60s P and hacked a hole as close as physically possible to the bridge, guaranteeing that the J pickup will sound thinner and weedier than ever.

And it just looks wrong too. Countless numbers of PJ basses have been churned out at all price points, and they’re all wasted on my me (and of course my tastes are beyond reproach).

Sorry to be so on-the-fence on this…

Even though I almost exclusively use pj basses, I completely agree with you about the  weak bridge pickup sound…best it does is color the neck pickup tone

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 18:21, Baloney Balderdash said:

A shame it was discontinued way too early

If you really want to own one, they are still available new.

Vox are even selling them via Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vox-Starstream-1H-Guitar-Humbucker/dp/B08N9Q27SX?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

(I now feel dirty for pimping these things...)

On 26/04/2024 at 18:59, dclaassen said:

Even though I almost exclusively use pj basses, I completely agree with you about the  weak bridge pickup sound…best it does is color the neck pickup tone

It's not really weedy, it's just that P and J pickups require different gain settings to perform at their best.

• Like 1