Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Sadowsky NYC Standard 4 - big singles - ash/maple/spalt

Marlat

Edit: This bass is now SOLD to a nice guy from the North of the UK! :)

I am pretty much forced to sell this bass because I have purchased another bass that is considerably more expensive and I want to cover part of the cost. I am still tempted to keep this bass, but the sensible thing to do is sell it.

Regarding the bass, its just over a year old and in mint condition ( I am not aware of any dings or stractches, but will double check if you want to go ahead), it has the plastic protection still on the back:

NYC Sadowsky Standard 4
Chambered ash body
Maple neck
Spalted / flamed maple top
Black accent line
Birdseye maple fingerboard
Nordstrand Big Sinple pickups in the J position (wound for Sadowsky with Sadowsky engraved on the covers)
Sadowsky Preamp with VTC

The bass is very light, its about 3.7kg and honestly its about as light as I would want a bass to be. Its also effortless to play (as are pretty much all Sadowsky basses). If I can afford another Sadowsky in future I will defintely get this model again. You may know I have a NYC Vintage PJ4, its probably 1kg heavier to give you an idea of how much difference the vintage hardware and rosewood fingerboard makes. I can send you more if need be or of any specific areas. Its also signed by Roger Sadowksy on the back of the headstock.

In terms of price, new these are $3950 (ie standard 4, nordys + fancy top). Factoring in the cost of shipping to Europe $200 and taxes of about 20% on top of that, the overall cost is just over $5000. I think used in the US they tend to sell for about $3000 in this condition, but then you need to factor in shipping and tax which would put it around $3800. Having looked at the last couple of NYC's sold used in Europe they tend to go for the €2400 - €2500 mark. With that in mind I am asking £2200+actual shipping (but can do local pickup). I think that's a fair price for what is basically a brand new bass and represents about what you would pay if you got this from the US and had it shipped to your country of choice in Europe. I would sell it with the Sadowsky strap and a new set of Sadowsky Blue label strings. I can sell it with either the ultralight hardcase or the portabag.

PM me if you have any questions, offers etc.

Edit: I am in London.

Edited by Mark Latimour

That is without a doubt the single most stunning example of a Sadowsky that I have ever seen. It ticks all the Jazz boxes and then some. Seeing this has in part made my 'bass day' and made me a bit miffed that it's well beyond my reach (unless you're looking for a 4001 Chris Squire :) ).

I suspect that someone with more cash to spare than me will be along later and snap this up.

Thanks for the kind words about the bass everyone. If I could sensibly justify it to myself I would keep this as it is the best jazz style bass I have tried. Your comments are making me think twice about selling it. Unfortunately I saw another bass that I had to have and it means putting something on the selling block (and no, its not an old Fender)! To tell you the truth I wouldn't buy another brand of jazz bass other than a Sadowsky now.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='491277' date='May 18 2009, 12:37 PM']I wasn't planning to buy a Sadowsky but this bass just looks gorgeous...
I'm a bit confused though : is the bass located in Europe or in the States, since that makes a difference due to import taxes ?[/quote]

Its in London mate!

I wish i was there picking it up and taking it home!!

:)

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='489526' date='May 16 2009, 08:09 AM']I am pretty much forced to sell this bass because I have purchased another bass that is considerably more expensive and I want to cover part of the cost. I am still tempted to keep this bass, but the sensible thing to do is sell it.[/quote]

Don't see you too much round these parts... seriously nice bass, Mark... if only I had the disposables!