Why become a member? ×

The Annoyance Of Price Changes

Stag

Ive been seriously considering buying a new cab. The one I have isnt quite loud enough... its a nice sound, but could just be a lil' louder (our drummer is a very VERY loud drummer). Henceforth I went looking for one, and found what I think would fit the bill. The price of said cab at a number of local (and online) retailers was £799. Not a small spend (I know a lot of you guys have your Aggies / Epi's etc that cost considerably more, but to me thats a fair bit of bunce gone out of back pocket) but I was prepared to do it... and hopefully cure any residual GAS for some time.

First local shop - only got one left, have now sold it, if we get another in the price will be £999
Second local shop - we cant get any at that price now, it will be £1049
First online retailer - we havent got any left. If we get anymore the price will change for the worse
Second online retailer - we havent got them anymore. Would you like a 8x10 instead than you will need a truck to shift it with? the truck does not come free with cab though im afraid, sir.

Quite simply - why does the price change so drastically from one day to another dependant on stock? maybe im just miffed.

and dood - I apologise for my incessant dribbling about this subject for the past week. lol

Edited by Stag

Well if you hadnt noticed there's been a bit of an economic disaster on all fronts.

In our case that has meant the exchange rate has gone to the dogs. We did have the strongest pound/dollar pound/euro rate for a very long time. Now its the worst.

That means that if you shop needs to buy more of something from overseas it will cost them a huge amount more. You as the buyer, get to help them out.

It's not complicated!

True sir, but surely these shops would be aware that getting some money in the till than not (particularly since they are currently advertising at a cheaper price) is paramount in the current economic climate?

Edited by Stag

[quote name='Stag' post='488724' date='May 15 2009, 11:57 AM']True sir, but surely these shops would be aware that getting some money in the till than not (when currently advertising at a cheaper price) is paramount in the current economic climate?[/quote]

Not if it's at a loss.

[quote name='Stag' post='488707' date='May 15 2009, 11:46 AM']Ive been seriously considering buying a new cab. The one I have isnt quite loud enough... its a nice sound, but could just be a lil' louder (our drummer is a very VERY loud drummer). Henceforth I went looking for one, and found what I think would fit the bill. The price of said cab at a number of local (and online) retailers was £799. Not a small spend (I know a lot of you guys have your Aggies / Epi's etc that cost considerably more, but to me thats a fair bit of bunce gone out of back pocket) but I was prepared to do it... and hopefully cure any residual GAS for some time.[/quote]

May I suggest looking at Barefaced cabs ?

I've got a Compact from Alex and boy that thing is loud. And with this budget you'll be left with quite few quid for beer

Jack

[quote name='JackLondon' post='488738' date='May 15 2009, 12:03 PM']Well If you gor for Alex's Big One you'll have £149 left so quite a lot of beer money :)[/quote]

Correct - at the current Guinness Exchange Rate (GER) in my local boozer that makes 46.56 pints. Result

[quote name='Stag' post='488735' date='May 15 2009, 12:01 PM']So thats +2 for Barefaced so far.... interesting...[/quote]

I have a Compact and so far played 1 small gig with it through Ashdown Superfly head. Sounded amazing and loud enough to cut through the mix and fit with the drummer who is LOUD. Next Saturday I'm playing a bigger gig with a GK 1001RB II head and I expect great results from it. I haven't tried the Big One so I can tell how loud it will go but as far as I remember one of the owners said something along those lines ''You would have to be f*&king crazy to have 2 of them''

[quote name='Stag' post='488707' date='May 15 2009, 11:46 AM']and dood - I apologise for my incessant dribbling about this subject for the past week. lol[/quote]

No worries mate! It's cool!

[quote name='Stag' post='488735' date='May 15 2009, 12:01 PM']So thats +2 for Barefaced so far.... interesting...[/quote]

I'd posted on another thread about G.A.S - and have to say that on paper at least, Alex's cabs do tick a great deal of boxes. Quite like the idea of a monster 2x15 Big One ;o)

As per our li'l discussion.. I have to agree with you that sometimes online shops don't do themselves any favours by putting one price online.. but when you order they are 'out of stock and you wont get another at the same price'. Just smacks of laziness or not being clear about a 'deal' price. Come one guys! - A website isnt difficult to keep updated!

oh and there's another rant! lol - Webshops with gawd awwwwful websites. If I cant find what I am looking for in under 5 clicks.. I tend to go elsewhere! lol

[quote name='Stag' post='488742' date='May 15 2009, 12:06 PM']Correct - at the current Guinness Exchange Rate (GER) in my local boozer that makes 46.56 pints. Result[/quote]

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! "GER"!!!! Thats fantastic mate! lol

And to add to Barefaced :

''Trial period and returns policy

We offer a fourteen day trial period from your date of receipt of the cab until your date of returned postage. Should you find your cab unsatisfactory in any way you have the right to return your cab undamaged for a full refund of both your purchase price and the outbound postage and packing charge. Should you not have to pay for return postage (maybe sending it through your employer's shipping facilities) we will not refund our own postage costs - this is not a free rental service! ;-) ''

You can't go wrong wit this kind of promise from the man himself :)

Well I have played Alex's Compact and his Big One.

I have A/B'ed his Compact with a Mesa full stack (410 and 115!) and it really easily held its own IMO. Using the Mesa head for both. I preferred the tone of the Compact over the Mesa gear, volume wise there was nothing in it really.

Both his current cabs are excellent. But I highly recommend the Big One if you have that cash to spend. It blows the Compact away (really!)

I am convinced you will not be in any way disappointed. It will be louder for its weight than anything you have ever heard. And is way smaller than a full stack.

You, in all likelihood, will not be able to push it beyond its capabilities with any commercially available bass amp.

It sounds excellent.

And that was before the latest crossover revision (which makes it even smoother in frequency response).

I am not affiliated with Alex in any way, I just happen to live in Brighton like him, I really believe his is the best new cab design I've heard in years.

If I was in anyway unhappy about my Bergantino ae410 I know exactly what I would be buying to replace it.

Do yourself a favour and take the exchange rate out of the picture!

[quote name='dood' post='488745' date='May 15 2009, 12:08 PM']Alex's cabs do tick a great deal of boxes. [b]Quite like the idea of a monster 2x15 Big One ;o)[/b][/quote]

You will only hurt yourself!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='dood' post='488745' date='May 15 2009, 12:08 PM']No worries mate! It's cool!

I'd posted on another thread about G.A.S - and have to say that on paper at least, Alex's cabs do tick a great deal of boxes. Quite like the idea of a monster 2x15 Big One ;o)

As per our li'l discussion.. I have to agree with you that sometimes online shops don't do themselves any favours by putting one price online.. but when you order they are 'out of stock and you wont get another at the same price'. Just smacks of laziness or not being clear about a 'deal' price. Come one guys! - A website isnt difficult to keep updated!

oh and there's another rant! lol - Webshops with gawd awwwwful websites. If I cant find what I am looking for in under 5 clicks.. I tend to go elsewhere! lol[/quote]

I'm afraid I'll have to stick up for webshops on this one! Maintaining pricing across multiple brands (often from multiple distributors) is very time consuming and often confusing. I can see where music shops will suffer, exchange rates are changing daily and a few of our suppliers wont even give us a set price list, we have to call on the day we order which makes it very difficult to advertise a price. This is exaggerated with high ticket value, low turnover items. They may have bought said cab 3 months ago for £550 and after making the call to the distributor now to replace it, it may cost them £750 to buy in!

I will concede that it's lazy not removing items/pricing for goods you dont have in stock and we always honour our advertised price (unless we're out to make a loss) but that's just good customer service.

[quote name='51m0n' post='488760' date='May 15 2009, 12:19 PM']I have A/B'ed his Compact with a Mesa full stack (410 and 115!) and it really easily held its own IMO. Using the Mesa head for both. I preferred the tone of the Compact over the Mesa gear, volume wise there was nothing in it really.[/quote]

That's quite astounding!

If you have the skill to build your own, then Bill Fitzmaurice's designs are outstanding. For a £300 - £400 build cost you'll easily have something better than spending twice or three times that amount on a commercial offering. The plans are comprehensive and easy to follow, plus there's a lot of support on his forums for tech discussions.

[url="http://billfitzmaurice.net/"]http://billfitzmaurice.net/[/url]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='488784' date='May 15 2009, 12:37 PM']That's quite astounding![/quote]

To be fair I think at the limit of where we got to the Compact wasn't quite keeping up. The full stack may well have had even more to go, but in any event, we couldnt have gone any ouder in there without knocking basses of the wall (literally). It was a shocking demonstration of the quality of Alex' product. I really wish he had the Big One with him.

The Big One would trounce the full stack IMO.

It is waaaay louder - or at least seems to be from my recollection.

Best bit is this A/B happened in GAK as a demo to Mr GAK-bass, Mark. Certainly made hi eyebrows move North!

Oh and to clarify I was only there on the off chance, again not affiliated to Alex' company, just very timely.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='488743' date='May 15 2009, 12:07 PM'][b]I haven't tried the Big One so I can't tell how loud it will go[/b] but as far as I remember one of the owners said something along those lines ''You would have to be f*&king crazy to have 2 of them''[/quote]
I have. Very f***ing loud indeed mate. I have one on order. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46780"]Comments[/url].

I find it funny (ha ha) that while Fender have raised their prices, [url="http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/gibson-sgs-new-pricing-508/"]Gibson have started to lower theirs[/url]. Smart move?

I wonder if Fender are watching...

There have been 2 significant price increases throughout many music industry distributors in the past 6 months. The first one was last November and the second was around the beginning of April. It's this damn climate. No one wants to raise their prices but shops are forced to when their suppliers are upping prices, it's simply a knock-on effect. Even UK-built products are being drawn into this because they are often sourcing their materials from outside the UK. Sadly it's something we'll just have to get used to, or at least until the Dollar rate is a bit kinder to us!

[quote name='Hamster' post='488785' date='May 15 2009, 12:39 PM']If you have the skill to build your own, then Bill Fitzmaurice's designs are outstanding. For a £300 - £400 build cost you'll easily have something better than spending twice or three times that amount on a commercial offering. The plans are comprehensive and easy to follow, plus there's a lot of support on his forums for tech discussions.

[url="http://billfitzmaurice.net/"]http://billfitzmaurice.net/[/url][/quote]
I'm slightly confused - do you have to make the [i]loudspeakers[/i] yourself? I ask as he seems to talk about cabinet design but doesnt say what speakers to use - all the photos and drawings are of the cabinets. I thought loudspeakers used special paper and magnets and so on.

EDIT: Okay, think I get it - these are the cabinet plans and you have to decide which speakers to put in? I'm not sure I'd know how to do the wiring for cross overs and so on.

Edited by Geek99