Why become a member? ×

How far would you go?

Because i don't own a car, my limit to rehearsals has always been 1 hour with a bus and then +/- 10 minutes walking. Gigs - i don't care how far or close, because there is always somebody with a car who takes me to it.

On 02/03/2024 at 14:44, ardi100 said:

A Join My Band wanted post has appeared with the perfect genre for me. It's around an hour's drive away. They gig regularly and I would assume that the gigs are in that area as well, but could obviously be much further away.

This is one of the only ads that's really tickled my fancy (and I'm kind of already playing with one of the others) and there aren't many around here.

So, how far would you drive for regular rehearsals and gigs if everything else was great?

I live in north east Somerset and used to gig with a Portsmouth based band. 

If the music and the people are right the distance doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Surely, it all depends on what your ambitions are, and watch potential the band has.

If all you want is a band for occasional gigs and fun, then, previous answers apply.

However, if you're looking for a band to achieve greatness with, then an hours drive is nothing. I can't remember the last time I only drove an hour to rehearse🤔.

In my day, you auditioned for a band. If said band offered you the gig, and said band had ambition and great potential, and said band lived the other end of the country... then, you would consider upping sticks, ignore advice/pleading from your lady and kids... and move in with said band's drummer😳

Oh, how times have changed😔

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

I asked a few pertinent questions about gigs, rehearsals and where other members lived and was told (respectfully!) that I was probably too far away.

Back to the drawing board for me.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ardi100 said:

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

I asked a few pertinent questions about gigs, rehearsals and where other members lived and was told (respectfully!) that I was probably too far away.

Back to the drawing board for me.

I’ve had this too when answering ads for bands some distance away. The risk to them is that once the initial excitement has worn off, the travel gets wearisome and they are left looking for a new player.

A former bandmate told me about his previous musical project where he and another musician would drive every Monday from Nottingham to Newcastle where they would stay all week (driving back on Friday night) rehearsing and recording with a singer from a reasonably well-known 90s band who was trying to relaunch his career. This went on for about a year and a handful of gigs before it all fell apart. However, given the nature of the project, I believe they were being paid for their time.

I was recently received an invitation to join a band, which I accepted. There was a gig booked not too far from me (I’m about 30 minutes north of Perth, in Scotland), which I have been preparing for. I was then asked if I might be available for a string of booked appearances (these aren’t proper gigs) that I wasn’t asked about in terms of availability previously. They bounce up and down the UK (Edinburgh oneday, Brighton after, then Exeter, you get the picture) and I’d have to get there under my own steam. I said I’d struggle with some of them, which I thought was up front and honest. A day later I was fired for unavailability and that I should be able to go anywhere, “At the drop of a hat,” I feel well out of it and that a bullet has been dodged.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 04/03/2024 at 06:21, SimonK said:

It depends on where you are in life - when I was a teenager/early twenties I would go almost any distance for a practice or gig so long as I could afford it. With my last band we recorded a whole album, but then couldn't be bothered to do any gigs (also not helped by COVID). If you are having fun do it, if not ditch it!

Exactly,  I drove all over the place for rehearsals and gigs when I was a young guy.

At 70, I'm driven to all gigs by the band leader and her husband.  Most commutes to gigs are less than 45 mins. Our gig at The Bend Theatre last Friday was 5 minutes from my Condo.

Daryl