Why become a member? ×

Worst reasons your band broke up...

WinterMute

13 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Guy comes in with a flying V in one hand and his 12 guage pump shotgun in the other.

What an arrsel.  I mean, who the hell takes a V to a serious rehearsal?  In the interests of transparency I have a pump-action 12-bore, but I've never taken it to rehearsal.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bluewine said:

This is more why we haven't broken up.

Still going strong since 2007. The right members, the right gigs, the right money and the right attitudes. Very rare.

I think we remain intact because we're not friends. Very little if any communication . We're friendly towards one

another but we're not friends. 

We have a husband and wife team that do all the booking and make all of the major band decisions. 

23 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

IMG_20240301_181810.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

What an arrsel.  I mean, who the hell takes a V to a serious rehearsal?  In the interests of transparency I have a pump-action 12-bore, but I've never taken it to rehearsal.

It was actually.a gig…

11 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Our guitarist aways uses a V. Ex-Royal Marine instructor so he might have a weapon hidden away somewhere just in case war breaks out.:laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Band 1.  Guitarist was a recovering alcoholic who relapsed.  He had bought a new chromatic tuner and got so drunk before the gig that he couldn't tune up but that didn't stop him playing as he was too gone to actually realise he was completely out of tune.  He decided the next day that perhaps being in a band that plays in bars was too much temptation.

Band 2.  Singer arrived at one rehearsal with a keyboard.  Guitarist walked out never to be seen again.

Band 3. Guitarist booked a NYE gig before checking that the rest of the band could commit.  Drummer refused to commit and asked the guitarist to cancel but he wouldn't let down the venue even though it was only March.  We eventually sorted it out around July time but the first time we went back to rehearsal it was obvious the situation was far from sorted and they actually couldn't stand being in the same room as each other.

Band 4.  Singer moved to Milton Keynes. The band was based in West London.  Singer didn't have a car and had no intention of buying one.  I had to point out to the rest of the band that this arrangement wasn't going to work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Altho i've posted the more odd ones earlier here are a few other reasons from my younger days :-

Guitarist didn't turn up for our first gig. No phone call beforehand. 

Over-indulgence in whacky backy by singer and drummer at rehearsals causing guitarist to get pissed off and pack it in after 1st gig which was a great success. Bit of a shame that one. Great band too.

Guitarist making more money doing PA hire during the Rave peak era and band fell away. I did help with PA hire and it was good money LOL

More inexperienced guitarist in the band decided to take a gig in his village but wanted to change the full set from classic rock to pop rock with only a couple of months to go. I said i would do the gig but was leaving directly afterwards as i wasn't prepared to change full sets to suit different venues.

I only agreed to join because they were doing classic rock covers.

Guitarist didn't want to gig. Only found out after about a year of rehearsals and our one and only gig.

Guitarist / songwriter in a Prog originals band didn't want to gig altho we did do a few studio rehearsals but he came out with it after about 6mths.

Another Prog originals band we just couldn't find other musicians to play the songs. The songwriter just wanted to play the songs with his weird noises thru it rather than some of the excellent vocal tracks he had written. Eventually i left too.

WOW its amazing how many i can remember :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, nilorius said:

The leader of the band - vocalist started to declare more absurd and fanatic ideas than last year.

Now i'm curious what the absurd ideas were :laugh1:

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Guitarist making more money doing PA hire during the Rave peak era and band fell away. I did help with PA hire and it was good money 

Dave ,

We have three offerings.

1. Maple Road ( full four piece blues/rock band)

2. "She's  Right I'm Left" ( acoustic)

3. Production sound & lighting. 

Agreed, sound is the most lucrative. 

Daryl

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Dave ,

We have three offerings.

1. Maple Road ( full four piece blues/rock band)

2. "She's  Right I'm Left" ( acoustic)

3. Production sound & lighting. 

Daryl

Its not something we do in our bands. Drummer owns the PA and majority of the lights. If we need to use the full PA with subs we need to hire a van and probably a sound guy but at the moment we use our backline with only vocals and bass drum thru the PA. In some venues with a supplied PA we all go thru it. 

My bass rig is loud enough to do most venues to be honest but i do find we get a bigger sound thru a PA. Not so much louder but more evenly spread around the venue. 

Lot of people have commented that we sound like how they remembered bands back in the late 60's early 70's so we're keen to try and keep it sounding like that. Not sure if that's down to us using backline rather than thru PA or its just "our sound".

The full PA 2 off each cabs 2-way 12's, 3-way 15's and 18" subs all QSC with Allan & Heath digital desks.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

That's good to know. if there is ever a catastrophic collapse in the IT industry.  ( I'm at best a scrappy bass player but consider myself a pretty decent FOH and sound engineer 😁)

I've never been in a gigging band, but these stories are incredible, and occasionally terrifying.

• Like 2

We had been rehearsing our tribute band for nigh on 3 years. We'd been through a couple of second guitarists (I really must post in the weird audition thread). The keyboard player was an absolute perfectionist but we'd battled through week after week to get the performance "acceptable" (it actually sounded flippin' awesome). We were ready to gig!

That's when the drummer decided he wasn't really into that music and he'd in fact just been helping us out until we found a drummer that wanted the gig.

That's when I finally decided I'd had enough, and the band folded

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Another band. The lead guitarist was an old hand and had been gigging in various bands since the 60s. The singer/rhythm guitarist had never been in a band before this one. They had been together for a few years and when their bass player left I got roped in by the drummer, that I had previously played with in another band

We did "dad rock" covers, playing in local pubs. We'd been together for a couple of years and were getting plenty of gigs, but started to get a bit fed up with the lead guitarist sounding like a wasp in a jam jar all the time, on every song. Anyway eventually the drummer took it upon himself to explore the tonal range of the guitarist's amp, and made him stand there playing while tweaking knobs - it was quite capable of some gorgeous clean tones as well as filth.

That really didn't go down well with the guitarist. I think he felt quite indignant about it and he decided to retire from playing shortly afterwards, effectively ending the band

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Norris said:

We had been rehearsing our tribute band for nigh on 3 years. We'd been through a couple of second guitarists (I really must post in the weird audition thread). The keyboard player was an absolute perfectionist but we'd battled through week after week to get the performance "acceptable" (it actually sounded flippin' awesome). We were ready to gig!

That's when the drummer decided he wasn't really into that music and he'd in fact just been helping us out until we found a drummer that wanted the gig.

That's when I finally decided I'd had enough, and the band folded

I just had a buddy go through the exact same thing.  Only it was the bass player.

There must have been some red flags the drummer was going to leave?

Daryl

On 01/03/2024 at 09:06, ahpook said:

One of the best bands I was in split up largely because of lots of drugs were being consumed and we all ended up a bit messed up all the time, anyhow...the final moment basically hinged on an argument about whether I was sleeping with the cornet player.

Seems both very debauched and very polite. The cornet player :)

Sex, drugs and.....brass ?

Talk about blowing your own trumpet….

• Haha 5

I remember my first funk/disco band crash 20 years ago. The superb vocalist (not the bands leader) made his Ukrainian girl friend pregnant and decided to marrie her and go to live to Ukrain. We couldn't find a match vocalist, no one sounded like we wanted to and it end up.

Edited by nilorius
  • Sad 1