Why become a member? ×

NBD - Dolphin Pro2

vmaxblues

For many years I use to play and love a Warwick Dolphin Pro2, it served me very well.  I know they have an interesting heritage, best summed up as ‘The bastard child of Warwick’ (coined by someone else), I sold it on here years ago.

Fast forward to now, I found locally on Farcebook marketplace a pretty much identical model, slightly different colour scheme but same vintage.

Picked it up last night from a lovely chap at a reasonable price, so brought it home.

Fair to say, I could see the potential but it obviously hadn’t had a lot of love over the years.

I fully stripped it back removed all hardware, and deep cleaned it, polished the frets (which were not worn too much at all, result) oiled the fretboard, several times. Checked truss rod moved.  Tightened up all the machine heads, which were loose. Adjusted the nut as it had a bit of card under the G string. The jack socket needed replacement too, again, luckily I had one in my spares cupboard.

Luckily I had a new replacement bridge in my spares as the original was very manky and all the saddles were corroded.

I then put a new set if Warwick red label strings on it and did a full Warwick set up, stage by stage, ( forgot how much I enjoyed setting up Warwicks).

All in all, 4 hours work, a new bridge, set of strings, a replacement jack socket and a lot of lemon oil and cleaners and duraglit later, and I have a sensational bass to show for my troubles,  it has come out better than expected.

Very pleased with the result, a really playable bass, and a world apart from what I started with.

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Lovely. Why would someone put a bit of card under a just-a-nut, though?

You occasionally get one where the nut is so low that you end up with the string adjuster nuts virtually popping out of their respective seats; a shim (no idea why they used card, that is ridiculous) can get you a couple of mm so that the screws are at least threaded in and secure.

Which does raise the question why random Warwick basses are higher/lower than others!  LOL

22 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Nice one!  

I've said it on many occasions that I've had and sold Pro I instruments (inc first year of issue and Custom Shop) whilst still retaining my Pro II bass... it just feels and plays better!  

I know, I have had Pro 1’s and just never got on with them, but the Pro2 is so nice to play, so light, ergonomic and I think punchy.

In its own right the Pro2 is a great bass.

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Lovely. Why would someone put a bit of card under a just-a-nut, though?

I know, I never understand why other brands haven’t adopted a similar approach to the nut. Basically, I removed card, oiled the screws and turned the screw one turn, sorted!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Very very nice Stu! I kept seeing this one pop up on FB! Looks beautiful now after your work. 😍🤌

Cheers! Was lucky I had a bunch of Warwick spares and know these basses well! Love a project!

• Like 1

That's a beauty Stuart. I nearly pulled the trigger on a black Pro II a couple of years ago and in retrospect I wish I had as it looked amazing.

One of the more (generally) under appreciated Warwicks imo. 

Edited by dub_junkie