Why become a member? ×

1973 Rickenbacker 4000 conversion to 4001, mojo city - *SOLD*
£1700
London

Clarky

I bought this 1973 Rick conversion from Gunnar of this parish (aka Studio GC) last year. Its cool AF, mojo'd to heck and seriously modded. Please read the previous FS thread (link below) for details of mods. Has "Crue" roughly carved into upper bout which Gunnar covered with a sticker but I think looks kind of punk/rock 'n roll cool. According to my digital scales, weighs c.8.5 pounds (Gunnar's scales weighed lower) which is still lightweight for a Rick.

Comes with a box loads of bits (spare pickups, pickup cover, wiring, and a somewhat battered alternate Hipshot bridge [I reinstalled the original Rick bridge as shown in my pics]). Wearing nicely worn in TI flats and plays very slickly. Reason for selling: I am struggling with the 33.25" scale length compared with my Mustang bass due to ongoing left hand issues (blame the horse) plus continuing medical bills.

I paid £1700 and have since added a spendy Mono Sleeve gig bag which I would throw in for the same total price (edit: I also added a Rickysounds treble pickup bezel for ease of finger style playing). Collection from a public place in SW13 London or shipping at cost - however, I would need to source a box if shipping is required, which may delay matters by a few days.

20240226_002043.jpg

20240226_002048.jpg

20240226_002054.jpg

20240226_002110.jpg

20240226_002104.jpg

20240226_002107.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 6

Having gigged that bass for a few years....I can attest to the fact its a darn groovy Ric. It plays so well! Wish I wasn't moving house...I'd buy her back.

Any questions on the mods hit me up

Happy to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Clarky said:

Had a request to post some additional detailed pics on the ad. So first off the bridge showing typical elderly Ric tail lift

20240229_121427.jpg

20240229_121414.jpg

20240229_121422.jpg

I have a great fix for that tail lift Clarky

• Like 1

I am going to persevere a bit longer to see if I can cope with the scale length. Might give it a 'make or break' try-out at my goth band's next gig (Sunday  8pm, The Pipeline in Brighton)

Withdrawing for now

• Like 1

• Cat Burrito changed the title to 1973 Rickenbacker 4000 conversion to 4001, mojo city
  • Cat Burrito unlocked this topic
Posted (edited)

Well, I gave the bass a try-out at the gig (pic below) and, while it worked for me, I was just not as comfortable as with my Mustang. So its back up for sale and I will consider near offers on the asking price. No trades. Can also post as have box incoming.

IMG-20240311-WA0005.thumb.jpg.64246e46dc9eeaf3d1093fea0dfa4d3f.jpg

For full disclosure, one thing I noticed when setting up at the gig is the treble volume control had cut out, which I restored in a few seconds by giving it several 360 degree turns - I am pretty sure all it needs is a squirt of contact cleaner (or a few turns).

Screenshot_20240314_095259_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Clarky

Tried the bass again today and the treble pickup knob is still being a bit sketchy. Putting the sale on hold until I have sorted it out. Will order some contact cleaner asap

Posted (edited)

OK so I screwed up the order for some contact cleaner spray (re-ordered, arrives by the weekend ... doh). Reflecting the treble volume knob (which is probably only temperamental due to being left in the 'dimed' position since I owned it - and does work with tweaking) together with the modded nature of the bass, I will drop the price by £100 to £1600 (plus post if needed). Any interest folks?

Edited by Clarky

• Clarky changed the title to 1973 Rickenbacker 4000 conversion to 4001, mojo city, price drop £1600
4 minutes ago, NikNik said:

There's a  Jazz Bass rout? Is that it behind the swimming pool?

There was a Jazz bass rout when Gunnar acquired it (which is why, I believe, he made the conversion to a 4001-alike). This was filled and a new rout added for the toaster neck pickup. Pic below

Screenshot_20230922_202442_eBay.thumb.jpg.72fc169b312b7ba56938120a74f0c968.jpg

• Clarky changed the title to 1973 Rickenbacker 4000 conversion to 4001, mojo city, price drop £1600 (£1500 without Mono gigbag)

I've strayed away from commenting but sadly can no longer resist.

This bass is crying out for a skilled & sympathetic restoration back to single pup 4000.

Originals in used, gigged condition are now hovering around the £3k mark. I doubt they will get much cheaper.

The 4000 single pickup is a wonderful bass imo.

I have never been able to get one but I have an amazing HW built to 1974, 4000 specs.

VERY different to modern Ricks. Much slimmer beautiful neck, body slimmer back to front and what a sound from that single pickup!

If I had the skills I would rip your arm off at this super price.

Good luck but really you shouldn't need it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Karl, I am cognizant of the fact there would be a lot to do to restore this - replacement wavy tuners (very spendy and hard to get hold of), new scratchplate, replacement 70s style bridge pickup etc. Hopefully at this price, this makes allowance for a possible resto job. The accompanying box of replacement pickups and parts (Retrovibe etc) could also be sold off piecemeal to help defray the outlay a little. 

Alternatively, it sounds pretty damn good to my ears and I think looks v cool, as is!

• Like 1