Why become a member? ×

Wireless transmitter & DB

Burns-bass

I hate the wires on my DB and a few times I’ve nearly pulled the pickup out because it’s been on there.

Has anyone tried a wireless transmitter setup?

I’d have no issue using one with electric bass but just interested whether some of the subtleties of DB could get lost. This is loud, amplified blues stuff through a magnesia pickup, so hardly demands finesse (but even so).

Be interested to ask you learned men and women on here of your experiences, thoughts and expertise.

I'd like to offer an opinion but in my case 'subtleties' and 'double bass' do not sit in the same conversation. Having said that, and assuming it's working as it should and set up well, I really doubt you, the band members, or the punters would notice any difference in tone.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I hate the wires on my DB and a few times I’ve nearly pulled the pickup out because it’s been on there.

Has anyone tried a wireless transmitter setup?

I’d have no issue using one with electric bass but just interested whether some of the subtleties of DB could get lost. This is loud, amplified blues stuff through a magnesia pickup, so hardly demands finesse (but even so).

Be interested to ask you learned men and women on here of your experiences, thoughts and expertise.

I hated the wires too so about 5 years ago I bought a Boss WL20 to use with my EUB (Yamaha SLB 200) and DB (Shen SB100) and love it. Very simple to set up and I have used it hundreds of times for practice at home and for rehearsals, jams and gigs and never had a problem. it is easy to charge with a simple usb with no base needed and you can charge each unit separately or plugged in together. I used it with my DB for two gigs last week and for home practice too. 

I go from the bass  pickup (Realist Lifeline) to a Schatten Design volume control unit that I mount on my music stand or mic stand with a bracket I made and from there it goes by cable to an amp or PA and I have never had it run out of power even at long gigs. It has been flawless for jazz, orchestra, bluegrass and I would buy another one if I ever have a problem with this one. I have also used it straight into the amp at some gigs or rehearsals where the amp is close enough to use the controls on the amp.

There are similar units available but this one has worked for me and I know another DB player that uses the same system and loves it, highly recommended by me.

I use the X-Vive Wireless Bug system with DB at pretty much every gig and it usually works just fine. My DBs have either mag or piezo pickups and the wireless bugs seem to have no trouble with either.

I say "usually" because occasionally I get intermittent drop-out issues, caused (presumably) by all the signals in certain rooms. When that happens, I don't fight it - just shift back to a cable.

DBs generate more physical vibration than solid-body electric basses, so you also need to pay a bit of attention to the mounting point for the 1/4" jack socket. Adding the weight of a wireless bug to a freely-vibrating socket can also cause occasional cutting-out. It's usually very easily fixed once you realise where the problems lie.

My experience of wireless systems with base receivers and belt-packs and such has been uniformly poor; the quality and reliability of the signal doesn't seem to be significantly enhanced but you get to carry and plug in a shed-load of extra gear. Given that almost all my DB gigs are doubling gigs, with frequent swops to electric bass, I find that it's way WAY easier to just have two sets of X-Vive bugs and a 2-channel preamp.

If you find the X-Vive pricing a bit off-putting (though they're actually quite cheap) then take a look at the equivalent Joyo unit - remarkably good value and just as effective. Yes, I have one of those too. 😂

Expert advice from a cross section of experienced musicians in an hour…

Love it!

I’m gigging next weekend and that will pay for the witless set up. Can you link me to the one that you use Jack? 

Im familiar with the Boss one but not wedded to it if there’s a better alternative.

Loving the idea of a witless set-up , seems abolutely ideal.

I use a Smoothound , reciever goes into a KORG DT10 tuner, an EDB-1 , Thumpinator, compressor, then into the amp. Stuck some loop velcro onto the tailpiece to stop the Smoothound transmitter flapping in the breeze.

To anchor the jack socket on the tailpiece, I use one of these: https://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/double-bass-pickup-jack-mount-kit/

Edited by pete.young

I tried a Lekato and an X-vive and wasn't happy with either in terms of sound quality vs a cable, so I took a punt on a Line 6 Relay GS2 which, to me, sounded no different to a wired connection.  I've only had a couple of situations where I've had dropouts as a result of lots of Wi-Fi on stage (tablets/digital mixers), which is mildly vexing, but not enough for me to shell out £500 on a proper wireless system.

Before I went wireless, I solved the 'pulling the jack plug out' issue by fitting my pickup with a locking jack socket.  You still have to have a very secure way of mounting the jack socket on your bass mind.

Edited by TheRev

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

It's also worth considering the impedance of any wireless transmitter if you're plugging directly into a piezo pickup.

Bob Gollihur has some useful information on his website:

https://gollihurmusic.com/going-wireless-with-double-bass/

Gollihur now handles the NUX system, it apparently avoids the impedance problem that some wireless systems have and Mark explains it in the product description.

3 hours ago, TheRev said:

It's also worth considering the impedance of any wireless transmitter if you're plugging directly into a piezo pickup.

Bob Gollihur has some useful information on his website:

https://gollihurmusic.com/going-wireless-with-double-bass/

Yeah I get that; but I’m only using a Magnetic pickup now. I did worry about level issues.

On 20/02/2024 at 15:23, keeponehandloose said:

Totally recomend the Line 6 stuff.

The G30 never failed and G70, now discontinued, still has more features than any other unit out there. 

Any digital wireless works fine with

Piezo or mag pickups.

+1, every day of the week.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely recommend the XVive system.

I've used it in conjunction with a Fishman BP100 (piezo) pickup for about 3 years now, can't discern any difference between wireless and wireless signal quality.

One great benefit of wireless is that you can turn your DB 'off' without having to go to the amp by switching the transmitter off at the bass.