Why become a member? ×

Is it time to start shaving?

Happy Jack

Closure: The bill came in at a rather more reasonable £510, for which I was very relieved.

Perhaps more importantly, the instant I started playing the bass it was as if I'd traded in a cheap Chinese beginner's bass for a high-end instrument. Not just better than it was (with a warped fingerboard, well duh!) but substantially better than on the day I bought it and - if anything - even better than the Zeller 3/4 it replaced.

No complaints from me. Thwaites did an excellent job. 🙂

• Like 4

Glad it worked out!

I was impressed with Thwaites too, firstly because after taking it in for a bit of adjustment, I also felt liked I walked away with a totally different bass... And secondly, because the luthier that fetched it out to me was wearing a t-shirt that read 'No, it's not a f@*#ing cello!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You pay for what you get. I’ve got two friends who are luthiers (one double bass the other guitar and bass) and I drive an hour each way to see them both.

Thats partially because I’m loyal and once I trust someone that’s it, but partly because the quality of their work is exceptional.

Seems Thwaites have delivered on that. When it comes to DB, you really are investing in something that will make playing easier and the sound better. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 21:05, NickD said:

... because the luthier that fetched it out to me was wearing a t-shirt that read 'No, it's not a f@*#ing cello!'

Wow I wonder who that was! Those t-shirts go back to the halcyon days of Rockabillybass.com... taught me everything I know, that community.

On 28/02/2024 at 10:23, NickD said:

Crikey. I think the thread should be renamed 'Is it time to start saving'.

Don't be silly, part of the joy of owning a DB is that you can brag/complain/compare about all the money you have spent, it's just part of the bargain when you play the best instrument and the one that is the most fun and most frustrating to play.

Just today I spent CD $360 for a new set of strings for my "backup bass" that I have used at precisely three gigs in the four  years that I have owned it. I have also had a new bridge fitted with adjusters, bought a better bow and had some set up work done on it and bought two pick ups and this is a beat up 50 year old ply bass.🙄 I hope to use it for some bluegrass festivals this summer and maybe recoup some money but it is fun to play and lets me save my "good bass" for jazz gigs.

Crazy according to some but we all have to suffer for our art.😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Staggering on said:

..part of the joy of owning a DB is that you can brag/complain/compare about all the money you have spent, it's just part of the bargain when you play the best

I drive an old Jaguar. The same thing applies 😅

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There's a FB meme doing the rounds (about high-end audio gear, but it still applies) where one chap is saying to the other

"The two things which really attracted me were the expense and the inconvenience".

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Haha 3