Why become a member? ×

Piezo bridges

biro

Assume I am a heathen and I want to put a piezo bridge on a my Jazz Bass. Where do I even start? I remember that, a decade ago or so, it was quite easy to find spare piezo bridges. At the moment, it seems you can only go Graphtech, which I am sure are great, but a bit impractical in terms of accessibility. Is there anything in EU / UK, cheap and cheerful preferred? 4 and 5 string options would be great.

(BTW, I have discovered that individual, monorail style ones might be an idea for my Ibanez basses since they are available from the manufacturer, but I don't need piezo on those.) 

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, biro said:

Where do I even start?

Couple of weeks back I sacked my 4 lipstick P-bass idea for a 51 slab body piezo build.

Both had been kicking around my head for years so I'd been grabbing potential bits as/when I saw them 🙂 Those 4 & 5 string bridges you mentioned are still being made, WSC offshoot  'Partsland' distribute them. Trouble is they are bloody expensive now. B&Ch over in Czech Rep have then for €116 or €130 for 5 string 🙁 USA eBay seller "Guitar Madness" have 2 versions for a more sensible £68 and £78 but there's £17 delivery, search for "Chrome Bass Piezo Bridge Made in Korea".

I was lucky enough to buy the 4 string version from BassChat's ads section so it might be an idea to run a 'wanted' ad.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed you get sorted as it'll be nice having somebody to bounce experiences off.  I've the bridge hooked up to a Shadow preamp ATM but it's not working out too well, roll on Monday when the Artec MT-2 gets delivered.

• Like 1

I'm a bit out of date ref today's offerings relating to piezo bridges but, generally, for the piezos themselves I would generally start with Graphtec - their products are generally well made and they have a decent range of most related stuff.  Oh - and ordering from them is generally pretty painless.

But, personally, I would only use them for the piezo hardware itself - I would generally look elsewhere for pre-amps/etc.  Are you planning to continue with magnetic pickups too?  If so, you will need a blending pre-amp to cope with the huge difference in impedance and output of piezo vs magnetic.  For this, I would generally go John East but. as @kodiakblair says, Artec do have some stuff that is great band-for-the-buck.  

• Like 1

There used to be a piezo 4 string bass bridge with piezo you could get if eBay for  about £40. Maybe someone on here has one in a drawer somewhere….a bit like these.

https://www.bachmusik.com/en/guitar-hardware/bridges/bass-bridge/bass-bridge-with-piezo-pu

https://shoppartsland.com/hpz4-bk/

I’ve made a few basses with piezo bridges and used John East preamps. I’ve tended to use Shadow pickups which I think work nicely. John East does a pre amp that works as a mixer set between a mag pickup and piezo. Nice and compact too.

I think Graphtec also do a preamp for mixing mag and piezo pickups.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

2 hours ago, biro said:

Graphtech, which I am sure are great, but a bit impractical in terms of accessibility

What do you mean by accessibility?

When I looked into piezo Graphtec seemed the best, sadly not the cheapest. And GraphTech do shipping to the UK.

Sam x

Thanks guys, this is very useful! It is exactly how it has been put—I thought I was going insane, as I had a very distinct memory of piezo bridges of dubious origin being readily available on eBay for decent prices. Not anymore, it appears. Well, I will hunt around or take a look at the Graphtec offerings...

The cheap piezo bridges off Ebay were crap. I have a couple knocking around somewhere, I tried them and the sound was very scratchy, for want of a better word - no bass and the tone was very gritty and low fi.