Why become a member? ×

Of Squiers and anniversaries

floFC

Like a few people here, I bought one of the great Squier 40th anniversary basses. But recently, I have seen a few 50th anniversary Squier basses for sale. Not only that, but they were made in 1996!!

What kind of magic is that?

I’d do my own research but I am scared of being sucked into a world where this is proof that time travelling exists and that we live in a computer simulation.

3 minutes ago, floFC said:

Thank you.

So the 40th anniversary is for becoming a brand in 1982.

What was the 50th anniversary for? What happened in 1946?

In 1946 Fender was founded and released their first amps. That was not a specific Squier event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, floFC said:

Thank you.

So the 40th anniversary is for becoming a brand in 1982.

What was the 50th anniversary for? What happened in 1946?

Hard to find an answer for that one.

On another board, someone actually said "50th Anniversary of the Precison" and people actually gave it thumbs up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Are you sure it's not Fender 50th anniversary? That sounds about right for '96 as Fender started in 1946.

There definitely are 50th anniversary Squier, such as this one on Reverb. But looking at the sticker on the back of the headstock, it is celebrating Fender’s 50th.

https://reverb.com/item/37278507-1996-squier-precision-fender-50th-anniversary-p-bass

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

In 1946 Fender was founded and released their first amps. That was not a specific Squier event. 

1 hour ago, jd56hawk said:

Hard to find an answer for that one.

On another board, someone actually said "50th Anniversary of the Precison" and people actually gave it thumbs up.

Looks like it was for Fender’s 50th and they invited Squier to the party :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I had a 96 Jazz and that definitely had a 50th anniversary sticker on it.

15 hours ago, basshead56 said:

My little brother had a Squier Affinity Rock Pack (strat and front man 15g amp) and the guitar had the Fender 50th anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock. That would have been around 96 or 97.

Thanks! So these 50th anniversary instruments were not special/limited editions like the 40th anniversary ones are?

No, I'm pretty sure they were Fender-specific - the 50th anniversary of the founding of Fender (1946)

Come to think of it, I have a 97 American Deluxe Precision with the same sticker on the back of the tip of the headstock (build date was Jan 97).

I also have a 2006 American Standard Precision with the Diamond 60th sticker on the back.

They are all Fender anniversaries as opposed to anything else and any guitars within the Squier or wider Fender realm would/should have the same.

The 40th Anniversary Squier models relate specifically to Squier being re-launched as a brand/line of instruments in late 83/84, essentially marking the birth of the Squier we know and love today.

Edited by basshead56
  • Thanks 1