Why become a member? ×

Extension of expression (DB to E-Bass)

basso navo

Dear experts of two worlds,

being a double bassist, I'd like to explore new grounds: the electric bass. My goal: A fretless bass guitar.

Here are my questions:

1.  Are there instruments with a thickness of the neck similar to that of a DB?

1.  Are there basses that enable a near-upright position of the fretboard?

Looking forward to your ideas.

bn

[Don't throw rocks at me for this]

Coming from DB to BG ought to be a doddle, even allowing for the relative unfamiliarity of the dimensions. BG is a whole lot easier to play in general. 

You could get a custom made neck (and bass) made to your specs, and a good bit of strap adjustment might well pull the neck upwards. But not as much, I suspect, as you're looking for.

Back in the day,  both Ampeg and (iirc) Gibson did endpins for their BGs.

Have you tried a BG and did you really not get on with it? If not, can you give us any insight as to why?

• Like 1

Clevinger had a bass that was close to an upright in terms of playability. I found only one picture of it:

https://reverb.com/item/34879027-clevenger-eub-prototype-green-jade

Ned Steinberger (NS Bass) and Ibanez have made smaller uprights that can be carried on a strap.

If I was you, i would try to check Overwater fretless basses with 36" scale. Maybe you would like to use shorter scale, but 36" feels like, can I say spacious?

• Like 1

If you've not played a bass guitar at all, the simplest first step would be to try a regular 34" scale model for a while to see how you get one with it. You'd discover if you really need an extra long scale, an upright position or a very thick neck. 

• Like 4

The NS Design Omni Bass can be played vertically and horizontally like a normal bass guitar, and has the same neck length. I don't know about the neck width though. If you prefer the longer double-bass length neck, the NS Double Bass might work?

• Like 2

On 01/02/2024 at 20:46, basso navo said:

Dear experts of two worlds,

being a double bassist, I'd like to explore new grounds: the electric bass. My goal: A fretless bass guitar.

Here are my questions:

1.  Are there instruments with a thickness of the neck similar to that of a DB?

1.  Are there basses that enable a near-upright position of the fretboard?

Looking forward to your ideas.

bn

Paging @Happy Jack

I think there are three different instruments here - double bass, electric upright bass, and electric bass guitar. Find a nice one of whichever type you like and accept its character, limitations and possibilities. 

• Like 2

I really can't imagine having a bass guitar with a neck anywhere near the depth of that on a DB.

I've had both the Takamine TB10 (a great instrument) and the Safran Iris with which I replaced it. Both of those have necks - unsurprisingly  - far more like a bass guitar than a DB.

Playing a bass on a strap in an upright position is a very awkward thing, unless you happen to be Bill Wyman.

I strongly recommend you start by simply buying a cheap fretless to experiment with. Lots of bassists buy a fretless and find they don't get on with it, so they are easy to find pre-owned and often at very reasonable prices.

• Like 3

Speaking as someone who pointlessly gave themselves tendonitis trying to replicate my DB technique on electric bass, I would not try and do that. They're different instruments, and although there are lots of transferable skills treating electric bass as a small DB doesn't really work (nor does treating DB as a big fretless, as lots of people have found going the other way). Do what Happy Jack says.

• Like 2