Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: the MS-60B+

Rich

I'm looking forward to the MS-60B+ Possibly an all-in-one pedalboard in a Boss compact pedal size?

Presumably it can be battery powered, 6 effects is  just about enough to use as an entire pedalboard  - to use it as an all-in-one I would want to use four effects just as 'always on' :  compressor, EQ, High/Low passes, Drive, so that leaves 2x blocks to add other effects per preset (e.g. synth and reverb),  and scrolling up/down presets will be a good addition as it's a bit of a faff on the older version.  

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I'm looking forward to the MS-60B+ Possibly an all-in-one pedalboard in a Boss compact pedal size?

Presumably it can be battery powered, 6 effects is  just about enough to use as an entire pedalboard  - to use it as an all-in-one I would want to use four effects just as 'always on' :  compressor, EQ, High/Low passes, Drive, so that leaves 2x blocks to add other effects per preset (e.g. synth and reverb),  and scrolling up/down presets will be a good addition as it's a bit of a faff on the older version.  

Agreed, the key limitation for me was the one way scrolling. So if you had the max 26 patches it was a faff to get back. 

Wonder if they will have taken the opportunity to upgrade the chipset and if so whether there may more patches available? I seem to have made use of most of the 50 patches on my B1-4, although tbf I only use a fraction of those live. 

• Like 3

On 21/02/2024 at 16:07, tayste_2000 said:

Yeah battery, 9vdc and USB C powered from what I’ve read.

Two AAs, like its predecessor. A couple of rechargables will keep an MS-60B going for four or five hours, I would expect the Plus version to do similar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jaythemusicguy said:

Regular MS60B v1 user; even has MIDI controllability (is that a word?). If the new version is an upgrade and the buttons are toe-able...interesting.

That said I bought a NinjaFox Wingman attachment for mine: https://ninjafoxengineering.com/products/wingman

That looks great - would definitely have held onto my v1 if that had been around and I'd spotted it a few years back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Zoom unveils the next generation of its cult classic MultiStomp pedal | Guitar World

"The MS-50G+ essentially puts the company’s latest G2 Four multi-effects pedal into a compact chassis."

@TRBboy - as you know, that's the question I've been wanting to find out i.e. is this going to be an upgraded chipset as compared to the decade old MS-60B? If that statement about the 50G+ is correct then it looks like a definite yes!

In which case colour me super excited - I usually wait to pick up my pedals used in case I decide to move them on at a later date 'cos it's a great way to try them out without too much value depreciation as we know, but if Zoom are going to be delivering the B2-Four in a compact chassis for around £130, I'll be making an exception for the MS-60B+ 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Zoom unveils the next generation of its cult classic MultiStomp pedal | Guitar World

"The MS-50G+ essentially puts the company’s latest G2 Four multi-effects pedal into a compact chassis."

@TRBboy - as you know, that's the question I've been wanting to find out i.e. is this going to be an upgraded chipset as compared to the decade old MS-60B? If that statement about the 50G+ is correct then it looks like a definite yes!

In which case colour me super excited - I usually wait to pick up my pedals used in case I decide to move them on at a later date 'cos it's a great way to try them out without too much value depreciation as we know, but if Zoom are going to be delivering the B2-Four in a compact chassis for around £130, I'll be making an exception for the MS-60B+ 😊

Sounds like it will be a winner! I'm not quite sure if those buttons are going to be really awkward to press with your foot though, but I guess it's no different to the setup on the B2 Four 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Sounds like it will be a winner! I'm not quite sure if those buttons are going to be really awkward to press with your foot though, but I guess it's no different to the setup on the B2 Four 

Yeah the current MS-60B has an external midi footswitch connection to make live use easier, which the new MS-50B+ is lacking which is a shame assuming the same will be true of the MS-60B+. But fingers crossed that scrolling through the patches using the bottom two scroll pads should be doable with a bit of care.

Dunno if the USB-C port might allow connectivity to external footswitches or is going to be limited to patch editing duties?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

On 07/03/2024 at 11:07, Al Krow said:

Yeah the current MS-60B has an external midi footswitch connection to make live use easier, which the new MS-50B+ is lacking which is a shame assuming the same will be true of the MS-60B+. But fingers crossed that scrolling through the patches using the bottom two scroll pads should be doable with a bit of care.

Dunno if the USB-C port might allow connectivity to external footswitches or is going to be limited to patch editing duties?

The USB port on the MS-60B isn't an official MIDI port, it's accessible and can be used to transmit and receive MIDI messages. If the MS-60B+ is editable using a PC via the USB port, it will be possible to transmit and receive MIDI messages to/from that too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

The USB port on the MS-60B isn't an official MIDI port, it's accessible and can be used to transmit and receive MIDI messages. If the MS-60B+ is editable using a PC via the USB port, it will be possible to transmit and receive MIDI messages to/from that too. 

Thanks - as you rightly point out the MS-60 just has a USB port (the older USB 2 from the looks of it) so the new model isn't going to have any less connectivity than its predecessor. 

Effects list for the MS-50G+ - https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_MS-50Gplus_FX-list.pdf

It's pretty much a subset of the MS-50G effects. it's not just the original MS-50G effects before they were expanded, I've just compared part of the list and there are one or two later additions to the 50G effects list that are on the 50G+. So expect a revamped MS-60B with a subset of the 130-odd effects currently on it (as I have said before) but presumably using a more recent chipset than the fairly elderly original MS series.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

Effects list for the MS-50G+ - https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_MS-50Gplus_FX-list.pdf

It's pretty much a subset of the MS-50G effects. it's not just the original MS-50G effects before they were expanded, I've just compared part of the list and there are one or two later additions to the 50G effects list that are on the 50G+. So expect a revamped MS-60B with a subset of the 130-odd effects currently on it (as I have said before) but presumably using a more recent chipset than the fairly elderly original MS series.

If you look at the top line B11 or whatever I think it will be those ported down and then added too 

1 hour ago, tayste_2000 said:

I mean I’m seeing octavers and synths in that list. Not sure why I’d get the bass version instead. I guess the amp sims? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there any difference in the pitch they are centred on for tracking purposes?

I know with the Boss OC-5 octaver and Boss SY-1 synth (but interestingly not the Boss SY-200) pedals have a bass/guitar selector switch to optimise the pedal for whichever you're playing.

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is there any difference in the pitch they are centred on for tracking purposes?

I know with the Boss OC-5 octaver and Boss SY-1 synth (but interestingly not the Boss SY-200) pedals have a bass/guitar selector switch to optimise the pedal for whichever you're playing.

Thing is they have clocked one of the main markets for the old 70cdr was synth heads - and the frequencies for them will go lower than EB. 

I guess it’s what you need it for, I have other preamps - but some folk will want a bass amp and cab sim

18 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Thing is they have clocked one of the main markets for the old 70cdr was synth heads - and the frequencies for them will go lower than EB. 

I guess it’s what you need it for, I have other preamps - but some folk will want a bass amp and cab sim

Does the 70CDR crack the filter and synth sounds that e.g. Helix struggles with, and does more on that score than the MS-60B? If so, definitely be worth checking out the 70CDR+ !

I've never been too fussed about bass amp / cab sims - a decent EQ set up gets me most of the way there on that score.

49 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Does the 70CDR crack the filter and synth sounds that e.g. Helix struggles with, and does more on that score than the MS-60B? If so, definitely be worth checking out the 70CDR+ !

I've never been too fussed about bass amp / cab sims - a decent EQ set up gets me most of the way there on that score.

You’ve used more zoom stuff than me so are probably one of the best placed to answer that! 
I’ve a ms70cdr at the end of the chain which was my budget way of getting reverb delay and whatever. SA at the front of the chain spoils me for synth stuff.  (Money no object it would be fun to try the synth stuff on the H90, but my zoom cost a lot lot less than that!)

I have a MS-60B which I love but I only use it for reverb. I'll be going for the MS-70CDR+ when it comes out as reverb, chorus, flanger etc. are my main effects for fretless along with my Boss OC5.  I use a Sansamp as well which us ace so no need for the cab sim stuff either.