Why become a member? ×

NBD - I know some BC members won't like it - but I do

Marc S

D'Addario half rounds are pretty much my go to string and luckily enough they do a short scale set which I have on my Longhorn. Sounds great 

I'm a hard string hitter and really don't like light strings and these help keep a decent amount of tension in a shortscale, no breaking them like Entwistle when we blast through The Who numbers. 

Also, if I'm teaching you to suck eggs then I apologise, the wooden saddle is held by a single, central screw in a longitudinal slot so can be twisted and moved up and down on the bridge plate. It's not the best but you can achieve really, very good intonation with it with a bit of fiddling. I aim to get the higher strings the best as they're the ones you'll be up the dusty end of more that the E. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments and thoughts folks. Yes, I agree with those whose sentiment is, that if I like it, nothing else matters.... these are my own thoughts too.

As I said, initially I wasn't fussed on the design. In some ways the quirkiness and different look to this bass adds to it. I haven't taken it to rehearsal yet, and I'm looking forward to hearing it through a big amp, and hearing how it sits I'm the mix.

It sounds lovely through my practice headphones, and is a joy to play. I have moved the strap button to the upper horn- rather than its odd position at the neck heel.

I think I might tweak the bridge next, or possibly replace it with that upgrade bridge which offers more adjustment.

6 minutes ago, Clarky said:

NAMM had a very nice new version of this bass with f-hole. Lovely

Screenshot_20240128_220340_Chrome.jpg

Yeahh....Hofner violin bass body shape on the other side and it will become a BeverlyHills super star !!!🤩

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

"....it's lipstick pickups are........" " .....it's lipstick pickups are.........." Are? Are what? WHAT?? I have to know fgs

Keep on, with the force, don't stop
Don't stop 'til you get enough

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

"....it's lipstick pickups are........" " .....it's lipstick pickups are.........." Are? Are what? WHAT?? I have to know fgs

Voila. Not as exciting as you maybe hoped!

Screenshot_20240128_224647_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Jammed this bass with one of my singer / guitarist pals last night - chap from one of the bands I play with. He was mightily impressed with the sound. We both felt it sat nicely with both his acoustic guitar and Tenor guitar, in terms of its' tone. It definitely has a sort of "woody" tone, perhaps helped by the chambered body? Turning both tone controls up there's a little bit of Rick-type "clank" in the mix. The bottom end has some real "thump" too. And those Lipstick pickups do have quite a high level output.

I'll be taking this bass along to a full band rehearsal this week - or more likely two band rehearsals (both of whom are loud) so I'm looking forward to hearing it in both those situations. Along with the absolutely amazing AI DoubleShot cab I also bought recently, I am a very happy boy indeed :) 

EDIT: Here's the link to the Doubleshot cab. Upright players are well aware if Acoustic Image amps & cabs - but BG players might not be..... I recommend you check them out

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

I was an old Pbass guy that got into Rics , and picked up a Longhorn. At first I did not like the short scale. I started using the Dano more and more , and it became my main bass for around fifteen or more years. I still don’t understand quite how it happened , but I’m ok with it. I still can’t decide if they’re funky looking or dog ugly. Liked the Longhorn enough to pick up a Dolphin Nose 56 and a shortscale DC. The Longhorn remains my favourite. I tried a longscale 63 but didn’t care for it. Sold it.
If you want to put flats on , LaBella make a light gauge shortscale Dano set. You might prefer a slightly stiffer string. I left the factory rounds on mine and noticed that it kept sounding better as the strings aged. They’re still on the Longhorn. It was an early one made around 98. I have the Dano LaBellas on the Dolphin nose and regular LaBellas on the DC.
Leave the wooden bridge on. They give it much of that woody tone. I replaced the adjustable bridge on my DC with a wooden one. There is a sweet spot where the intonation is fine. It’s not hard to locate. 
They don’t have the greatest tuners , but they work. When Nathan Daniel designed them he cut every corner he could to make them cheap. Another thing I noticed with the Longhorn was that it was incredibly stable , and I did not have to make any of the seasonal truss rod adjustments my Fenders required. 

They are also tough as nails. You can drop it , knock it over , whatever … it’s not going to break. Don’t think it’s fragile because of the light weight. 
They really are fun little things to play. I was surprised to see pictures of the ruby one at NAMM with the binding and f holes.  I’m still pretty happy with my little black one.

Enjoy!

They’re great little basses.

• Thanks 1

… and if you can grab one of the late 90’s Korean Longhorns … grab it. The first runs were made in the Shinko Factory in Korea , they are said to be the best of the bunch. Production moved to China for quite a while , but is now back in Korea. But the Shinkos are the ones.

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts @msb

I know what you mean when you say you can't decide whether they are funky or dog ugly - I feel exactly the same way! lol 
However, I'm starting to think they may be the funkiest looking basses ever made, alongside Bootsy Collins' Star-shaped purple sparkly bass. Perhaps I just need to dig out my old platform shoes and flares?

Others have mentioned that the factory fitted bridge helps it produce that woody tone - so I may leave that alone. I tweaked the truss rod to straighten the neck and bring the action down a little, so I was just wanting to adjust the bridge - but in fact, it seems fine just as it is now. I definitely want to try flats on it though. Are those LaBella's higher tension than T.I. flats btw?

I'm at work currently - but as soon as I get home, the first thing I'll do is pick up that Danelectro. I have never been so surprised at just how good a bass can be. Still smiling every time I look at it.

5 hours ago, Marc S said:

I'm starting to think they may be the funkiest looking basses ever made, alongside Bootsy Collins' Star-shaped purple sparkly bass. Perhaps I just need to dig out my old platform shoes and flares?

Should I mention that mine has some sparkle going on? 😎😁

Edited by Maude
Missed out the 'I'.
  • Like 1

The Dano LaBellas are slightly stiffer than Thomastiks , but just slightly. They also fit Gibson basses that have a 3point bridge , or a Hipshot 3point replacement. I love TIs on long scale instruments but prefer something stiffer on the short scale ones. Today I mostly play shortscales , although I still have the usual assortment of classics.
Try leaving the existing rounds on for a while , my experience was that they just kept sounding better as they got older. Mine are truly dead now , but I do like them. 
I picked up my Longhorn , new , for just $200 , on a blowout sale back around 2000. Probably one of the best gear buys I’ve made. And I’m always amazed at the condition it’s in today. No major dents or dings , and It’s done a lot of falls. For years whenever I’d buy a new bass I’d play enough gigs with it to break even , and then go right back to the Longhorn. Band mates were always happy to see the new bass retire and the Dano make a full time return. 

I always described them as fun to play , and still find that fun when I pick it up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maude said:

Should mention that mine has some sparkle going on? 😎😁

No sparkle on my Copper Burst Dano - but it does look banana coloured, has added to its' quirkiness IMO