Why become a member? ×

Anyone know of a media player with album shuffle, Windows 11

Richard R

I have a very simple request. Is there a media player for Windows 11 that does the following:

• Does not overwrite the metadata for my files at random
  • Uses folder.jpg as album art where it is in the folder
  • Plays mp3, flac, and all the usual subjects from local files. (Media server or network shares optional)
  • Does playlists etc. 

AND

• Does random album shuffle. That is, randomly picks an album, plays the tracks in order, and then picks another album at random

Most of the time I just use the classic Windows Media Player as I like the layout and being able to see the current queue as well as browsing albums, but I would really like to have it chose albums at random when I'm working. The only thing I've found was Music Bee (a few years back), but it wasn't great. 

Any suggestions anyone?

Edited by Richard R
typo in title

• Richard R changed the title to Anyone know of a media player with album shuffle, Windows 11

iTunes for Windows can do random Shuffle > Album.

I've never used it, I've never used iTunes on Windows for playback at all, but the option is there.

You add the artwork to the files/album in iTunes, so I'm not sure that fits with your folder naming - again, I don't use iTunes on Windows aside from backing up various family devices, so YMMV, it certainly plays all the file options you mention, and does playlists.

Mark

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Winamp.  Been using it for years.

I'll have to check that out.

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

VLC, I think.

I use VLC as the player on my phone. I don't think it will automatically shuffle all albums though.  I'll take another look at the PC version.

4 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

The version if iTunes I have is from about 2007, and is only used to back up an iPad of the same vintage (which isn't used for music!)  Windows Media Player Classic is just as old, so I'll look at iTunes too.

Thanks for the suggestions- any more?

5 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

I've never used it, I've never used iTunes on Windows for playback at all, but the option is there.

You add the artwork to the files/album in iTunes, so I'm not sure that fits with your folder naming - again, I don't use iTunes on Windows aside from backing up various family devices, so YMMV, it certainly plays all the file options you mention, and does playlists.

Mark

Does iTunes still force you to reformat MP3s to whatever format iPhones use?

46 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Does iTunes still force you to reformat MP3s to whatever format iPhones use?

No, it doesn't and it never has.

iTunes uses whatever format the files are in already (so long as it is one that is supported).

New rips from CD are done to the format selected in preferences - the default is AAC but it can be changed to any variety of MP3, Apple Lossless or uncompressed AIFF or WAV.

There is an option to export to iPod/iPhone in a compressed format but this only affects the copies of the tracks on the mobile device. The versions in your library remain in their original format.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

I gave up on iTunes years ago after it kept randomly deleting my ripped albums (my own purchased CDs, not dodgy copying).

After I rebuilt the library a few times I couldn't be bothered any more.  I remember hearing a few others had the same issue too.

I'm sure it is better now but it sowed a (probably out of proportion) dislike of Apple products in me ever since.

MusicBee doesn't use folder.jpg for album art, so it's out of the running. 

WinAmp is good, and is ehat O have used the past few days. Is here  a way to make it respond to  media keys on the keyboard? A mini view between the bike interface and the really thin one would be nice, but not important. 

Will be trying foobar today. 

Thanks again everyone. 

I've settled on WinAmp.

Not perfect, and misses some display functionality, but it does what I specifically needed in picking a random album to play.

I'm now listening to albums I haven't picked out in ages - which is exactly the intention.

Thanks all,

Rich

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I've settled on WinAmp.

Not perfect, and misses some display functionality, but it does what I specifically needed in picking a random album to play.

I'm now listening to albums I haven't picked out in ages - which is exactly the intention.

Thanks all,

Rich

Good choice.

There's a Dynamic Library plug-in that is really useful - it might only be compatible with the heritage versions.

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Good choice.

There's a Dynamic Library plug-in that is really useful - it might only be compatible with the heritage versions.

Does it still whip the llama's a$$?

• Haha 1