Why become a member? ×

Is this a heavy bass

flatwound

G'day all, someone, anyone.....I recently bought a couple of new basses :rolleyes: , and on reading the reviews on different forums etc, one was described as being "one Hefty four string", another review said, "this is quite a light bass". I'm confused, ([i]although nothing unusual there[/i]) they both weigh 8lbs and a little bit, [i]cant be more accurate as scales aren't real flash[/i].... is this considered to be, heavy, light or average ?? I like the weight. Thanks for any input. :)

The conflicting comments about the weight in the reviews will obviously be down to how much of a wuss the reviewer is. :)
I'd say just over 8lbs is quite light for a bass, that's certainly no heavier than your average Gibson Les Paul guitar.
Heaviest bass I've ever played was a horrible dead plank of a 70s Precision that weighed just over 13lbs!

[quote name='RhysP' post='485625' date='May 12 2009, 06:33 PM']The conflicting comments about the weight in the reviews will obviously be down to how much of a wuss the reviewer is. :)
I'd say just over 8lbs is quite light for a bass, that's certainly no heavier than your average Gibson Les Paul guitar.
Heaviest bass I've ever played was a horrible dead plank of a 70s Precision that weighed just over 13lbs![/quote]

F*&#,....hows ya back. !?

[quote name='flatwound' post='485528' date='May 12 2009, 02:55 AM']G'day all, someone, anyone.....I recently bought a couple of new basses :P , and on reading the reviews on different forums etc, one was described as being "one Hefty four string", another review said, "this is quite a light bass". I'm confused, ([i]although nothing unusual there[/i]) they both weigh 8lbs and a little bit, [i]cant be more accurate as scales aren't real flash[/i].... is this considered to be, heavy, light or average ?? I like the weight. Thanks for any input. :)[/quote]

Journalisitic imprecision or licence!

Hefty" probably referred to the tone. 8lbs is definitely light.

Balcro.

I've checked out the weights of a LOT of basses of late and if I were offered an 8lb bass I would consider it light... period!

9lb - 10lb appears to be quite average and anything over 10lb I'd consider getting heavy, when you hit 12lb you are REALLY into the big boys.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='485550' date='May 12 2009, 07:46 AM']Depends on how hefty or slight the player is, I suppose.

Heaviest thing I ever played was my CIJ Marcus Miller Jazz. Damn, that was heavy - Even moreso than my recently departed Yamaha TRB-6.[/quote]

Yeah for sure, TRB 6-strings do weight a fair bit.

8lbs is quite light.