Why become a member? ×

The name of Your bass!

I just stick to make and 'old' or the colour if needed - so, 'The black jazz' or 'The old Spector'...no actual names.

But now I'm thinking...am I saying 'The black jazz' or 'The Black Jazz' ?

I can't tell. Maybe they do have names after all.

The only basses of mine that have anything approaching names are Jayray (because that's what it is... a 'Ray with a fretless Jaydee neck) and Skabass (because, errm, that's what it is... a 2-tone themed thing). All the others have names like 'the Spector' and 'the Shuke' and 'the Wal'. 

• Like 2

Four of my basses have names. My '66 is just called #1 because it's been my main bass for almost 40 years now. The '72 is called The Wreck, because it does look to be in a bit of a state. The two SVLs are Hannah and Emily. That's because they indicate which daughter inherits which when I snuff it. Their names are engraved on the neckplates.

• Like 2

i've never named my basses, but a skinny-stringer i used to jam with in my student days named my DIY bass 'The Washboard'

...he claimed it was an affectionate naming, but i hae me doots!

(OTOH, he also called my DIY bass-wah the 'Zoko-GeeWiz-CorLummy pedal', so i forgave him)

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/01/2024 at 07:56, Baloney Balderdash said:

My beloved Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass "Dud Bottomfeeder" :

image.thumb.png.e7bb1557b34876417390739f16c6378e.png

And...

I present to you, my 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, tuned to G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass tuned in regular B standard tuning, "Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer" :

image.thumb.png.d8c6c3dc42d5719227bb0a7354dae28c.png

Dud Bottomfeeder is a snappy raw and rough dirty Rock'n'Roll/Punk beast, with more attack, but less dynamic subtleties, whereas Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer is more of a growly, but overall cleaner and clearer, if not exactly polite, lush and very resonant jazzy beast, with more sustain, and a much more delicate/detailed dynamic response.

They are both pretty punchy though.

I love them both to bits and they complement each other well, each respectively inspiring me to play different stuff.

Dud Bottomfeeder having a blunt and straight-forwardly simple and raw personality, while Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer is more complex and ostentatious.

Dud Bottomfeeder by the way is tuned to A# standard tuning, that is 1 half step above the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass tuned to regular B standard tuning.

And they both feature a just 28.6" scale length.

Also oddly enough Dud Bottomfeeder features an unusually light Mahogany body, whereas Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer features an unusually heavy Poplar body.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, nilorius said:

And how many total ?

wellll........26 now.............but of those 26, only about 4 or 5 are actual keepers  :)....The rest are just some I acquired over the years for whatever reason or acquisitions to review on my YT channel with the intent of trading out for different YT content :) (unless I really really like it)

33 minutes ago, Rib13Bass said:

wellll........26 now.............but of those 26, only about 4 or 5 are actual keepers  :)....The rest are just some I acquired over the years for whatever reason or acquisitions to review on my YT channel with the intent of trading out for different YT content :) (unless I really really like it)

At mondey i will have 5 total and only one is just for fun, so You are the winner ! Congrats. 😜

• Haha 1