Why become a member? ×

TimR

3 hours ago, Norris said:

Apologies for the pedantry but "WD" actually stands for water displacement.

Yes, it lubricates. Yes, people use it to try to free up rusty parts. However you'd do much better with a dedicated penetrating fluid like Plus-Gas if your nuts are seized up :)

Well, that may be a fact, but the product features include penetrating and that's what it was commony known as. 🙂

image.thumb.png.c527cba42eb63bc6de80985da7b01847.png

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

TBH I don't think I've ever heard a Bass Guitar being called that unless it actually had a "Fender" logo on the headstock.

When I was getting into music in the early 70s the bands I liked were more likely to be be sporting bass guitars by Rickenbacker or Gibson as they were Fender.

OK, so now there's a mission to find it (was it TV, an interview, an album?).

1 hour ago, TimR said:

According to legend NASA spend billions of dollars developing it. The Russians just used 3 in 1. 

Good one, Tim According to legend, Americans spend billions on funding sponsored research projects at major research universities. The British just use jokes.

I very stupidly spend hundreds of dollars on the technology that I am using for this post. If I were a Russian troll, I would be able to do it with a pencil.

35 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

According to legend, Perseus cut off a Gorgon head, which could turn folk to stone. Hmm... Legends, eh..? -_-

That one is definitely true, Douglas. Ever since he did it, no one has been turned to stone. Pretty compelling evidence.

I should probably stop inhaling WD-40.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Good one, Tim According to legend, Americans spend billions on funding sponsored research projects at major research universities. The British just use jokes.

I very stupidly spend hundreds of dollars on the technology that I am using for this post. If I were a Russian troll, I would be able to do it with a pencil.

You do know that NASA didn't spend any money developing the space pen?

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

You are a constant in an ever-changing world, Tim. Happy Christmas, old son.

Seems there's a lot of people on this site who don't understand satire. 

Many of them take me at face value. Which is ironic really. It keeps me amused anyway. 

18 hours ago, prowla said:

OK, so now there's a mission to find it (was it TV, an interview, an album?).

15 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

It's still sometimes referred to as Fender Bass in country music circles, particularly in the US.

Yep.

The only use of the term "Fender Bass" on an album credit I can remember is on "Kick Out the Jams" by the MC5 where Michael Davis is credited as "Fender Bass."

In the early days of the electric bass, the term was used to delineate an "electric" bassist from someone who played the acoustic/upright bass. There's an interesting thread about it on T*lkB*ss: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fender-bass-as-a-generic-term-for-bass-guitar.894227/

Oh - and WD40 is great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimR said:

Seems there's a lot of people on this site who don't understand satire. 

Many of them take me at face value. Which is ironic really. It keeps me amused anyway. 

My dear Tim, it’s like rain on your wedding day. That said, I am saddened by the lack of statistical evidence for your allegation of widespread misapprehension. Also, I was hoping for a revival of WD-37, which supposedly increases heft and is positively superb for metal but is dangerously volatile when mixed with tung oil.

• Haha 1