Why become a member? ×

What to buy a bass player for his 18th

GrimUpNorth

Thanks for all the recommendations.

So far I've got him a Pinegrove leather strap and a case.

He's not bothered about a pedal and as his amp has the tuner he's not bothered about one of those at this stage.  The bigger amp/new bass is one for the future.

Couple of questions...

I want to get him some strap locks.   Should I just get him something like these - https://ernieball.co.uk/guitar-accessories/strap-blocks#P04603 ?

I am going to get him some strings.  At the moment he uses - Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound Electric Bass Strings - 45-100 Gauge.  Should I just buy some more of these, or is it an opportunity to treat him to something "better"?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheap pedals that are fun and could be useful / creative;

TC Electronic Wiretap 

EHX Freeze

Boss RC-1 looper

PS just read your post about no pedals! But these are not effects and great for practice / inspiration. 

Edited by Boodang

Presents I've given and received included Blackstar Bass Amplug, Joyo 10w bass amp, custom embroidered strap, Blackstar Fly extension cab, various pedals.

Also, don't underestimate how nice it is to have a REALLY good lead or two.

Another idea - no musician should be without a decent mic. An SM57 or SM58 will do for miking up and vocals.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Also, don't underestimate how nice it is to have a REALLY good lead or two.

Definitely 2nd this. I just bought a Mogami Ultimate and a Sommer Vintage guitar cable from Design-a-cable and they are things of beauty! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrimUpNorth said:

want to get him some strap locks.   Should I just get him something like these - https://ernieball.co.uk/guitar-accessories/strap-blocks#P04603 ?

Those are fine, although they come free with each bottle of Grolsch beer :

image.png.66536a20771d59bb5d3bcf5b7756daed.png

Slightly fancier are metal ones from Schaller, Dunlop, loxx etc. Always nice to have the colour match the tuners on the bass.

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Boodang said:

Definitely 2nd this. I just bought a Mogami Ultimate and a Sommer Vintage guitar cable from Design-a-cable and they are things of beauty! 

I'm sold on that idea.

I looked on the Design-a-cable website, and found this - https://www.designacable.com/mogami-ultimate-3368-guitar-cable-all-neutrik-1-4-mono-jack-types-low-capacitance.html which I'm guessing is the one you mentioned.  One question, whats the difference between the silent and gold (aside from price).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GrimUpNorth said:

I'm sold on that idea.

I looked on the Design-a-cable website, and found this - https://www.designacable.com/mogami-ultimate-3368-guitar-cable-all-neutrik-1-4-mono-jack-types-low-capacitance.html which I'm guessing is the one you mentioned.  One question, whats the difference between the silent and gold (aside from price).

From what I read,  the silent jacks have a moving part which mutes the signal when plugging-in / unplugging. Fine.  Until you read that it's only got a lifetime of 1000 uses. Or about a year,  I guess.

I'd go with the gold and just ensure that gain/ volume are down or muted before unplugging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrimUpNorth said:

I'm sold on that idea.

Yep, this is the cable I got, and I’m thoroughly pleased with it. Go for the gold, the silent stops the jack shorting out but it has a very limited operational lifespan, so in my opinion not very practical. 

On 10/01/2024 at 14:03, snorkie635 said:

Agree with Owen. Remember to buy the correct length of string for his bass. Ask him was scale length it is.

regarding strap locks, see below:

I concur ... I've got S-Locks on my three basses and two straps, they can be a bit fiddly to clip/unclip (and are not cheap) but they are very secure IME.

Sam x

• Like 1

If it were my kid/grandson/grandaughter - I'd really consider investing for them in a decent year of birth bass (something from 2006 if they're 18). A USA Fender or Precision - or a bass in that ball park. Bit like premium bonds, except the bass will rise in value - and they'll have lots of fun playing it!

• Like 2

@GrimUpNorth - If you're still thinking about strap locks, I'd highly recommend Dunlop Dual Design strap locks. These ones:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/dunlop-sls1031n-straplocks/111288?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP6sBhDAARIsAPfK_wZ5FiI2ZbspKPuCz02fksv5L8vijUokAqnhEHf2x8i8wKbOfJRlD-4aAjn5EALw_wcB

You can get them in black, silver or gold to match the hardware on his bass.

I have them fitted to every strap I own and every instrument I own so I can use any strap with any instrument. To me, these are better and more secure than Schaller strap locks, but that is just my opinion! Schallers are perfectly fine too!

• 2 weeks later...