Why become a member? ×

Looking for a beginners electric guitar

Bass Novice

4 hours ago, barkin said:

Yamaha is always the answer, whatever the question 😏

Yup, they tend not to make junk. I would definitely spend the two hundred on a new Pacifica 112. Mainly because about 23 years ago, that’s exactly what I did and it served me extremely well.

• Like 2

Forgot to add earlier. Look for used, rather than new. eBay and similar are stuffed with used Pacificas, Squiers and the like at bargain prices.

People often buy a guitar, for themselves or a youngster, intending to learn. After finding out it ain't as easy as they imagined, the instrument goes in the cupboard, until one day they decide to sell it. Either that, or they (or the youngster) make good progress and decide to upgrade relatively quickly. 

In both cases, you get to pick up a used instrument in good shape, ungigged (how many beginners gig?) for not much money. If you look after it, you can move it on for not much less than you paid for it when the time comes for you to upgrade.

A repairer friend often picks up such guitars for silly money from eBay, gives them a clean, set-up and new strings and sells them on at a profit.

Edited by Dan Dare

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Forgot to add earlier. Look for used, rather than new. eBay and similar 

This. Also worth trying out your local auction house. I've picked up some decent stuff at mine for ridiculously low prices. The hammer price for a left handed Harley Benton VT Series Telecaster was £26. Even after fees that work out at about £33. Got a couple of Strat copies too for around £20.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As already has been suggested numerous times, Harley Benton is the answer.

On 17/12/2023 at 21:47, PaulThePlug said:

Whats local on faceache and gumtree?Squier P or J, Ibanez SR300, Tangle 4k Rebel... what sort of music or sound you after?

It's going to be hard to learn how to play electric guitar on those.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash