Why become a member? ×

Favourites By Category

stewblack

After years of buying pedals, with shelves and drawers overflowing, multiple boards and power supplies, I have come to a realisation. I've actually got some favourites at long last. Not many but I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

So, by category, here we go.

Flanger.

Screenshot_2023-12-14-11-31-18-25_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.8cc3cc13c69cfa4949b3aa8d9b2b8e78.jpg

First time I played through it I heard the exact sound I had in my head. First time I gigged it, the whole song was transformed. 

Envelope Filter.

Screenshot_2023-12-14-11-34-16-86_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.cfe05343ee51d058b6dce57ba483dbe7.jpg

A YouTube demo comparing this and several others sold me on the EBS. Man I love how easy it is to get exactly the right sound and it works so well in the mix.

Octave.

Screenshot_2023-12-14-11-37-06-03_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.4f9ea8953d5204d6bd79e06f5596afe4.jpg

All the octaves you could ever need. Accurate and clean or rich and synthy, this pedal also has fuzz and phaser and is a work of genius.

Compressor.

Screenshot_2023-12-14-11-42-15-35_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.d46a7fc50b9bc9df2a99b2b663d5fc7d.jpg

I've been through an absolute ton of these, some do nothing, some break my sound, some are great, but this is the best. So childishly simple to use and to get exactly what I want from it. A budget miracle.

Chorus.

Screenshot_2023-12-14-11-46-21-52_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.90b42593fc3c1a0b6cfe17bb5bc159dd.jpg

I thought I'd found my chorus (Ampeg Liquifier) but it just wasn't quite 100%. Then on a whim I splashed out on this. First gig I tried it and I just knew. Perfect. Again the sound I hear in my head.

I'm still entirely at sea with regards to distortion, fuzz, autowah, multi effects, phaser, synth, preamp and others. I have preferences in every department but I'm not there yet.

• Like 9

Flanger - 

Not a massive flanger fan per se, but totally love the tone of my DOD stereo bass flanger when I need that slow, 3D type swirl.

Filter- 

I've still not heard anything that tops my MXR BEF. the Micro Qtron got close, but the MXR stole the crown lol

Wah - 

I have several choices, and it all depends on the environment it's being used for. Broadly speaking though, the crown has to go to the Ibanez weeping demon, with honourable mention to the Morley 20:20 power fuzz wah.

Chorus - 

The MXR black label chorus is my choice here. a clone of the older analogue boss CE5 at its core, it just gives me the tone I hear when chorus is mentioned 

Core Drive - 

The Joyo Orange juice, EHX bass soul food are my picks dependant on the situation. After spending massive amounts of ££ on the latest trend pedal, ands just not scratching the itch, I found these two gems

Extra gain stage -

I have many choices dependant on the situation/ tone I'm after. Having said that, my main first choice is the Caline Orange Burst. Ironically, one of the cheapest pedals out there, it does what I need better than all of the other (much more pricey!) pedals I've owned

Phaser - 

EVH phase 90. Nuff said!

Comp - 

I'm generally not a compressor type person, but I do like the MXR bass comp for some situations

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Ironically, one of the cheapest pedals out there, it does what I need better than all of the other (much more pricey!) pedals I've owned

This.

I take extra pleasure from a favourite also being inexpensive. Of course I don't save anything because I've usually spent a small fortune on more expensive pedals before realising that the cheap one does the job I'm after.

• Like 2

Envelope M82, doesn't get lost.

Phaser, secret sauce Holden (NZ)... cold dead fingers.

P&C category. Prunes and Custard, is it's own thing, so it will always be the best at Prunes and Custard. Don't knock until you tried it.

Tuner, Korg pirthblack, works at night in the dark and in full sun.

Octave, never felt like I needed any more than the EBS. Nice and simple, works as advertised.

Overdrive, almost secret sauce there are so few around. Drum roll for UK's own Sfx RedDragon. Leaves all the meat in the sandwich when mostly overdrives either gut your lows or mess up the mids not in a good way to my ear. Best impression of a gently overdriven tube out there by far if you ask me.

Desert Island DI: Sansamp BDDI.

• Like 1

Chorus: EHX Bass Clone. I've tried a few others, but I always come back to this.

Phase: Behringer UP100. Again, of the several I've tried, this one does what I want phase-wise. A subtle flavour for 60s rock songs.

Dirt: It depends a great deal on the band/set list but I keep coming back to the Laney Digbeth pre-amp tube sound as a general purpose 'almost always on' sound.

Filter: Still looking but the Bass Auto Wah effect on my Zoom B6 is currently meeting the needs.

Flanger: EHX Neo Mistress. I don't have so much experience with different flange pedals and it's a rarely used effect but this is the one I head for.

Overdrive: It varies between the Behringer T800 Vintage Tube Overdrive and the Joyo ACTone.

Other: I really like the combination of Ampeg Classic pre-amp and the Sine H24 low cut filter, although this is still in the early stages.

There are two caveats:

1. There are plenty of pedals out there that I haven't tried or heard, so this is very much a personal pick based on my experience.  

2. I am currently using a Zoom B6 for convenience (and because it's actually very good). The patches set up on that mimic the above pedals where relevant. 

• Like 2

Tremolo - HoTone Trem

Flanger - Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (rebranded Arion SFL-1 Stereo Flanger)

Chorus - Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus (based on the circuit of the legendary Boss CE-1 chorus, but with more controls, and in a mini pedal format)

Phaser - Behringer VP-1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, better than EHX's own Nano reissue)

Octaver - Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for the 1 octave up effect, and the Toneprint editor makes it perfect, as it makes it possible to dial in as close to an authentic/realistic 8 string bass/guitar effect/tone as possible with just a simple octaver, tracks perfectly and with very low latency, wouldn't recommend it for the 1 or 2 octave down effect though)

Overdrive - Joyo Orange Juice / Joyo Oxford Sound (Orange amp type drive/preamp, based on the circuit of the discontinued Tech 21 Oxford preamp/drive)

Distortion - Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone with both a "Vintage", original, silicon diode clipping, RAT mode, and a "Turbo", Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, slightly darker voiced and retains low end slightly better than both the originals and most other RAT clones on the market)

Fuzz - Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (clone of the Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, which again is a take on the legendary Univox Superfuzz octave fuzz circuit)

Delay - NUX Tape Core Deluxe (amazing sounding digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay)

Compressor/Tube Preamp - EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor featuring 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage. I use it primarily as a tube preamp stage though, with only a very subtle compression dialed in) 

Graphic Equalizer - Artec Graphic Eq SE-EQ8 (8 band graphic equalizer)

Preamp - NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (high quality digital preamp and IR loader, featuring 3 different digital amp emulations, and 8 stock IR cab sims + 8 user IR slots for loading 3rd party IR cab sim files)

Digital Multi Effect - a firmware hacked Zoom B1Xon

Utility - Boss LS-2 (parallel effect loops mixer/switch)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Compressor - Lusithand Alma (just fantastic, I dial in a lot of cleans for a more subtle effect but doesn’t feel like the attack suffers quite like some other comps I’ve tried)

Flanger - Boss BF-3 (I’ve not tried many but the Boss just sounded good from the start)

Octaver - Boss OC5 (Great tracking and super flexible, would love to hear some other octavers like the COG stuff although it’s not a sound I use much)

Drive - EAE Halberd v2 (Incredibly flexible drive that works great as an always on or full on in your face chewy fuzz)

Preamp - Jad Freer Capo (The one pedal can’t imagine being without, perfect for any situation)

Multi - Mod Dwarf (Sounds absolutely incredible as an all-in-one, allows you to create some really unique sounds that other multi fx just wouldn’t come close to. That comes with caveats around the interface that, for me, mean it’s more of a desktop tool)

Edited by MrDinsdale
  • Like 1

Rather than go off reeling off a load of boutique unobtainable pedals, I

wanted to flag my most useful utility pedals: the Broughton BBA, the Darkglass Element and the Damnation Audio Dirtfixer. I have the first two on nearly every board I’ve put together.

Nice to see the BF-3 get so much love. It’s a classic. I sold mine and then immediately bought another.

Special mention to the JAM Delay Llama Xtreme though as being such a fun pedal to play.

• Like 3

Great idea @stewblack!

In order of importance for me...

Preamp: If I could convince the Laney Digbeth pre, Ampeg SGT-DI and Markbass Vintage Pre to be in a thrupple and make a 33.3% each thruplet ... then that. But as I can't, the Laney Digbeth. I can't work out how they've made something so good at such a great price!

Octaver: 3 Leaf Octabvre mini (although I suppose this should be the OC2, as that's the sound I'm emulating)

Synth: Source Audio C4... covers so much ground!

Fuzz: The sounds people get out of the Diabolik on YouTube, although I never got near that when I bought one, so for me it's the Source Audio Ultrawave for gated fuzz tone, or the EHX Sovtek deluxe. Special mention in the next one too...

Dirt: Way Huge Smalls Pork & Pickle. Favourite dirt tone I've ever had and the fuzz was awesome too... closely followed up by the EHX Hot Wax for being brilliant and versatile at a much better price point! I'd probably re-buy the hot wax over the P&P

Envelope: MXR BEF... sure others are funkier, but the MXR is just SO responsive it's like your fingers are talking.

Compressor: Origin Effects Cali76... Tried loads of compressors and this was the first to make me stand up and take notice. Sold on and bought the naughty Demonfx unit, and whilst I haven't A/B'd them and the build is inferior, I equally enjoy what it does for alot less moolah...

Chorus: Pass. Playing in tune is hard enough, without having a pedal taking my slightly out note and making it even out-ter 🤦‍♂️

Utility: Does the JPTR FX Jive count? It's not on as a drive, it's just a livener upper... a bit of a 3D adder onner. If it doesn't then the Hotone Patch Konmander is a BRILLIANT bit of kit along as you're happy buying a million patch cables. Great for multiple switching and all analogue! TC mini spark is great too with the momentary switch for momentary boosts 🤌

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I just regret not going for the double one now...

I wish I'd gotten the double in honesty but it wasn't an option when I got mine...

Don't get me wrong, when I used it with the Markbass pre it took away a certainthing I liked that the markbass added, but that little bit of saturation and extra content it added more than made up for what it took away

• Like 1

Here we go: 

Compressor: Broughton Omnicomp or Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor

Octaver: Cog T-70 or my modded OC2

Dirt:

Overdrive: Broughton Scorpion

Fuzz: 3Leaf Audio Doom or Hiero FX BEAD

Other: Montreal Assembly PurPLL

Filter: 3Leaf Audio GR2 for 'quacks' and Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe for 'sweeps'

Chorus: Iron Ether Polytope or Lichtlaerm Audio Trugbild

Delay: Red Panda Particle and Raster

Reverb: Mono: Iron Ether Nimbus SE or Stereo: Meris Mercury

Granular: Hologram Microcosm

Multi-FX: Line6 HX Stomp and Cooper FX Arcades

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lunoxx said:

Here we go: 

Compressor: Broughton Omnicomp or Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor

Octaver: Cog T-70 or my modded OC2

Dirt:

Overdrive: Broughton Scorpion

Fuzz: 3Leaf Audio Doom or Hiero FX BEAD

Other: Montreal Assembly PurPLL

Filter: 3Leaf Audio GR2 for 'quacks' and Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe for 'sweeps'

Chorus: Iron Ether Polytope or Lichtlaerm Audio Trugbild

Delay: Red Panda Particle and Raster

Reverb: Mono: Iron Ether Nimbus SE or Stereo: Meris Mercury

Granular: Hologram Microcosm

Multi-FX: Line6 HX Stomp and Cooper FX Arcades

That is an amazing array of rare pedals. Right up my alley! Nice to see some Cog love and Broughton too.

• 3 weeks later...

JPTR Jive arrived this morning after a long ride from Germany.

First impressions are all very positive.

It may be what I've been searching for. Certainly sounds like a bass straight into the desk of an old reel to reel tape recorder.

Live test will come on Thursday.

• Like 3