Why become a member? ×

Need help deciding whether bass is worth it

Yamy1020

Recently a local shop here got a used westone thunder 1-a fretless. I've borrowed it from them for a bit and I really like the instrument but it's not in the best condition both visually and the hardware is a bit dated. The fretboard has some grooves, the next is a bit crooked and the finish is coming off on the neck and some places on the body.

To be fair the bass plays great all the electronics are as good as they would be in such old instrument.

My main question would be does this seem like a instrument worth 390 euro? 330£. The fretless modification doesn't matter much to me and I can get new instruments for that price that seem pretty good as well. What do you think? Any help is much appreciated.

(Pictures don't really show can't take any more rn)

IMG20231116170131.jpg

IMG_20231208_000256.jpg

IMG_20231208_000316.jpg

My first instinct is that it seems a bit on the high side, but that's driven purely by your description and my first thought.

If you're happy with the bass and it ticks all your boxes then buy it and be happy. It may not prove to be a great investment but you're not buying it for that.

It’s a little bit pricey considering condition, however it looks like it’s the active version which do go for a bit more. Personally, if I had played it and liked it, and none of the issues were more than visually looking a bit old & ropey I wouldn’t feel aggrieved at having paid about £300 for it, but I do think you’ve got plenty of things there you could try and chip him down on, and I feel less aggrieved if I paid closer to £250 for it, but even at full price, if it plays well and you like it it’s not a rip off at all - Westone Thunder’s are nice basses! 

• Like 1

The active circuit works well no buzzing and the wires and breadboard look original (as on the wiring diagram I found, even the same colours).

As a question for the future have y'all ever tried or heard of someone changing a lined fretless back to fretted? Is it a hard job?

18 minutes ago, gjones said:

I you might wish to sell the bass, at some point in the future and get your money back, then it's not a good price. But if you feel it's a keeper then pay what you think it's worth to you.

I'm not looking into flipping it but this is gonna be my second bass and probably only one I'll be playing for a long while so I wanna get my money's worth, are you aware of any active (switch)passive P or  P&J that are good around this price?

1 hour ago, Yamy1020 said:

I'm not looking into flipping it but this is gonna be my second bass and probably only one I'll be playing for a long while so I wanna get my money's worth, are you aware of any active (switch)passive P or  P&J that are good around this price?

The G&L L2000 tributes are great basses and can get a wide range of sounds, They're within your price range secondhand. 

Of course there are also Sire basses and Squire contemporary basses which may fit the bill and are around your price range new.

• Like 2

You answered your own question...get a new bass.

Seriously, we're not talking about anything special here, doesn't matter if the Weston sounds good, it's not worth the price...sorry, but I wouldn't pay $50 for it if I saw it at a yard sale, especially since so many better basses are available and there are more holiday sales than I've ever seen before.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

Westones were quite decent affordable basses and guitars in the 80s but finding one for sale now shouldn’t ever be mistaken for tracking down an old P bass or anything like that. They’re probably worth about £200 if in excellent condition, and even then you probably won’t play it much.

My first bass was a Thunder 1a.

IMO you shouldn't underestimate Westone basses, they are well respected by those who owned them,  mostly in the 80s.

It's unusual to see one for the price you quoted - it is difficult to gauge what a fair price is for Westone, though - you see them for £300 and for £1200 (one on ebay currently).

If you like it, buy it but you might want to try something "less vintage " to see how gear has changed in the last 40 years. 

• Like 2

Thunders are great basses but there are loads of them still around. This is way too expensive for a modified, well-worn example, on Ebay they still regularly sell for £200 / €230 or less.

If you're not dead-set on an old Japanese bass you'll get a good new/nearly new fretless for the money they want for this.

• 3 weeks later...

I was given a little Blackstar amplug thingy for Christmas.  Sounds great, spent some time playing one of my Fenders through it.

Then an hour ago I played my Thunder 1 through it. Incredible, that bass is IMMENSE, it sounds more like a precesion than any precision 🤣

• Like 3