Why become a member? ×

Custom double bass stand...

JosephMartyn

• JosephMartyn changed the title to Custom double bass stand...
25 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Standard EUB stand should do it, I’ve a spare you can have gratis if you can arrange collection? 

Thank you!!! That would be amazing! Where abouts are you based and do you have a picture at all that I could double check how it may fit? At the moment I lie it on the floor with padding underneath to support it!

2 hours ago, JosephMartyn said:

Thank you!!! That would be amazing! Where abouts are you based and do you have a picture at all that I could double check how it may fit? At the moment I lie it on the floor with padding underneath to support it!

Hi, I'm in Whitstable, if I remember correctly it's one of these https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/miscellaneous-musical-instrument-stands/konig-meyer-14160-electric-double-bass-stand?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17858053119&utm_term=&adgroup=&creative=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JbI_pSAgwMVppJQBh3M-QwaEAQYBCABEgL7kfD_BwE 

I'll check tomorrow 👍

image.thumb.png.99ca087a0e2025d842097c9acac6b81d.png

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Beedster said:

Ah it does look awesome! I think I need to get some side support though,  the bass is not symmetrical and spins really easily!

59 minutes ago, JosephMartyn said:

Ah it does look awesome! I think I need to get some side support though,  the bass is not symmetrical and spins really easily!

You could get Chris’s free stand (very generous), and fit one of these (the stand has a 35mm flange so this should fit)

https://pipedreamfittings.com/product/4-way-cross-with-central-tube-34mm-b34/

Then you could fit some lightweight aluminium pipe and bend it it to the dimensions of your bass, cover is in insulation and cap the ends and you’re done. Even with the pipe bender it would still cost you about £30

https://siliconehoseuk.co.uk/products/alloy-one-metre-straight-pipe?variant=42844606496999&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAvdCrBhBREiwAX6-6UtzyRuen5fACRqy8aRr43dZK5aVoH0vVfrqX_1WtEwSYuVeAcci0ARoCliIQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

On 09/12/2023 at 10:05, Burns-bass said:

You could get Chris’s free stand (very generous), and fit one of these (the stand has a 35mm flange so this should fit)

https://pipedreamfittings.com/product/4-way-cross-with-central-tube-34mm-b34/

Then you could fit some lightweight aluminium pipe and bend it it to the dimensions of your bass, cover is in insulation and cap the ends and you’re done. Even with the pipe bender it would still cost you about £30

https://siliconehoseuk.co.uk/products/alloy-one-metre-straight-pipe?variant=42844606496999&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAvdCrBhBREiwAX6-6UtzyRuen5fACRqy8aRr43dZK5aVoH0vVfrqX_1WtEwSYuVeAcci0ARoCliIQAvD_BwE

That's a great idea! Thankyou! I'll look into it!

It's a shame these types of universal stands aren't made bigger! I'm thinking I may get a pair and lie the bass sideways across these?Screenshot_20231211-073153_Chrome.jpg.d003fba51a5a8ff2859b7b81980731b4.jpg

42 minutes ago, JosephMartyn said:

It's a shame these types of universal stands aren't made bigger!

This isn't cheap, but I own one and it's excellent. I use it for an acoustic upright, but it looks like it might accommodate your EUB. Collapses down to nothing, and is a very nice stool for sitting on if that's how you play, and a very nice stool for sitting on when you're not playing if not!

https://www.bassico.eu/classical-accessories-instrument-stands/rc-williams-co.-bass-stand-und-stool/8837-0-0-8837-0.htm?cat=908&produkt=3792&l=EN

RC-Williams-Co.-Kontrabassstaender-und-H

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chyc said:

How hard would that be to make..? It's basically two identical sides, a front and back spreader and a top seat. Granted, that looks like a quality finish, at surely low production runs, but it's half a sheet of ply and some padding for the seat. Anyone with a band-saw could do that, I think. Is there a woodwork class at a nearby school or college..? T'would be a nice project, making something along those lines. Just a thought. B|

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

How hard would that be to make..? It's basically two identical sides, a front and back spreader and a top seat. Granted, that looks like a quality finish, at surely low production runs, but it's half a sheet of ply and some padding for the seat. Anyone with a band-saw could do that, I think. Is there a woodwork class at a nearby school or college..? T'would be a nice project, making something along those lines. Just a thought. B|

I doubt it's too difficult for someone skilled with the right tools. The tongue and groove parts interlock together so nicely I would hesitate to say you could do it with a jigsaw. The routed edges are very professionally done as is the rubber protective trim, but yeah there's nothing magical about it, and it isn't even plywood: it's MDF. If you didn't care for collapsability then absolutely it would make a nice project.

However, I do care about how small it is in the back of the car, and despite getting my hands dirty making BC112 and four BC110 speaker cabinets, if I were to lose my stool I'd probably still buy another one. The design of this along with the quality of the finish really is very nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chyc said:

I doubt it's too difficult for someone skilled with the right tools. The tongue and groove parts interlock together so nicely I would hesitate to say you could do it with a jigsaw. The routed edges are very professionally done as is the rubber protective trim, but yeah there's nothing magical about it, and it isn't even plywood: it's MDF. If you didn't care for collapsability then absolutely it would make a nice project.

However, I do care about how small it is in the back of the car, and despite getting my hands dirty making BC112 and four BC110 speaker cabinets, if I were to lose my stool I'd probably still buy another one. The design of this along with the quality of the finish really is very nice.

It's all in the design, getting it to clip together as it does, and having a nice finish is a real bonus, so the shop cost doesn't seem excessive. If one was stuck for a stand, however, it looks like a promising way to go, as a 'one-off' private project. The folk that made that one certainly new what they were doing. I like it. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 2

On 08/12/2023 at 15:35, Beedster said:

It is this one and folds up smaller than I remember so can post if needs be 👍

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, chyc said:

This isn't cheap, but I own one and it's excellent. I use it for an acoustic upright, but it looks like it might accommodate your EUB. Collapses down to nothing, and is a very nice stool for sitting on if that's how you play, and a very nice stool for sitting on when you're not playing if not!

https://www.bassico.eu/classical-accessories-instrument-stands/rc-williams-co.-bass-stand-und-stool/8837-0-0-8837-0.htm?cat=908&produkt=3792&l=EN

Looks great!!! 👍👍 I'll have a hunt and take a closer look. I usually stand to play but def some good ideas here 🥳

Go down to your recycling centre and grab 20 cardboard boxes. Flatten them out properly. Laminate 2/3 them with a pot of adhesive and you have a slab of 2ft x 3ft.

Cut a slightly oversized outline of your bass out and line it with an old T shirt or three, with a backplate 

The rest of the boxes make a prop that strategically slots onto your outline so it can lean back.

Spray bomb it matt black and it will look like a bought one.

You'll figure it out.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Go down to your recycling centre and grab 20 cardboard boxes. Flatten them out properly. Laminate 2/3 them with a pot of adhesive and you have a slab of 2ft x 3ft.

Cut a slightly oversized outline of your bass out and line it with an old T shirt or three, with a backplate 

The rest of the boxes make a prop that strategically slots onto your outline so it can lean back.

Spray bomb it matt black and it will look like a bought one.

You'll figure it out.

Nice! Love the creativity! 🥳🥳