Why become a member? ×

Home recording multitrackers

JosephMartyn

I'm thinking of getting an old digital multitracker to lay down ideas.

I have had a Zoom in the past which was good, but to be honest I'm looking for the simplest way to plug in and record multiple tracks (mainly bass, guitar and piano). 

I'm not too bothered about built in effects, rhythm or mastering..I just fancy an easy digital way to record multiple instruments on top of each other :)

any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

joseph.martyn.501 

42 minutes ago, JosephMartyn said:

I'm thinking of getting an old digital multitracker to lay down ideas.

I have had a Zoom in the past which was good, but to be honest I'm looking for the simplest way to plug in and record multiple tracks (mainly bass, guitar and piano). 

I'm not too bothered about built in effects, rhythm or mastering..I just fancy an easy digital way to record multiple instruments on top of each other :)

any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

joseph.martyn.501 

I have a Fostex MR8HD for this, which records up to 4 simultaneous inputs onto up to 8 tracks. Very old-fashioned, and clunky to operate, but one gets used to anything, and it certainly works well enough. A bit of a 'faff' to transfer tracks to PC for further DAW treatment etc, but, again, it works. Recording quality is good, with native WAV files. Long out of production; can be had for less than £100. The User manual is easy to download from the Fostex site, and is indispensable to understand how to operate the beast. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D: 

• Like 1

Any particular reason you want to use a dedicated multitracker rather than using an interface into a pc?

I've owned a couple of Tascam units in the past and exporting the tracks was always a major PITA.

I found it much easier to do the same level of recording with a £30 Behringher interface and Audacity.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I have a Fostex MR8HD for this, which records up to 4 simultaneous inputs onto up to 8 tracks. Very old-fashioned, and clunky to operate, but one gets used to anything, and it certainly works well enough. A bit of a 'faff' to transfer tracks to PC for further DAW treatment etc, but, again, it works. Recording quality is good, with native WAV files. Long out of production; can be had for less than £100. The User manual is easy to download from the Fostex site, and is indispensable to understand how to operate the beast. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D: 

Good info! Thanks! :)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheRev said:

Any particular reason you want to use a dedicated multitracker rather than using an interface into a pc?

I've owned a couple of Tascam units in the past and exporting the tracks was always a major PITA.

I found it much easier to do the same level of recording with a £30 Behringher interface and Audacity.

Thanks! No real reason I guess other than old habits! I loved my cassette yamaha mt4x...captured some of the best sounds on that.

I moved to PC for a bit but found progress and output slowed down as I got addicted to plugins and mastering...so more recently I've taken live takes and  then had a friend who's job is mastering audio to do that bit for me (I'd rather pay someone better than me to get the best results and support the music industry professionals if I can :) )

So, yeah, I suppose I'm looking for a setup that enables clean capture and then i can send off for post production mastering...but mainly just ease of plug and play 👍

the tascam model12 springs to mind ..its essentially their old 80s portastudio rebooted into this century ...its workflow is pretty much the same ie multitracking without too many bells and whistles getting in the way...only difference is that this time around there are about twice as many tracks and its digital. 

Edited by Musicman666
  • Thanks 1

On 02/12/2023 at 12:57, Alexx said:

I've had very good results with a tascam dp008. Recorded, mixed and mastered songs with it. Pretty intuitive to use, decent quality. There are a few on eBay around £150-200.

I've got a DP008EX - haven't used it much yet, keep meaning to get round to it. Easy enough to use, 8 tracks with 2 tracks simultaneously recording, so if it's just you or you plus A N Other that should suffice.

• Thanks 1