Why become a member? ×

Happy 90th Birthday John Mayall

Mykesbass

43 minutes ago, eloisa said:

Happy Birthday!

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with special guest Gary Moore - So Many Roads

at Montreux Jazz Festival 2008

John Mayall introduced me to so much good music - and musicians - after i started getting into playing bass as a teenager, decades ago

Blues from Laurel Canyon just summed up the vibes of that time for me then

i loved the idea that he made and played his own electric guitar (sadly lost in a fire); that inspired me, all those years ago, to persist in making my own bass - the fact that i still have it now, in working condition, is a tribute to the inspiration of Mr Mayall

Happy Birthday John!

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Ouch !

How time flies - I worked with John & the Bluesbreakers a few times in the 60's

Happy birthday !

😎

I worked with him on the clip I posted, and even that 20 years was a bit of an ouch moment too!!

• Like 1

Well, I saw John Mayall at the Hammy Odeon  in the early 2000's . It was on a Tuesday , and not a stormy Monday .

A little before my time when he was at the peak of his popularity . We were upstairs, which was very quiet and spacious .

The people I went with were more into the older bluesy stuff than me , but I obviously had an open mind .

We went for Stan Webb who was supporting . He was really good, and I saw him once before .

Tbh ( and sorry if it offends) , but we were disappointed with  John Mayall ..

He seemed to have a touch of arrogance about him . Changed costumes a couple of times . Track suit bottoms ?!? 
The best part of his set imho  , was when Mick Taylor joined him onstage . Mick Taylor.played on most of my favourite stones albums .

In all honesty , the gig would have been better at a smaller venue / large pub on a Sunday . 

Anyay, fair play to him and a belated happy birthday 🎂. 90 impressive for sure .

36 minutes ago, pigface said:

Happy birthday, John. I had tickets for this gig in Cologne. It didn't happen. Don't remember why ...

Mayall tickets.jpg

That's a shame. A.S.S.  are decent promoters. Sadly, having seen John performing in his mid 80s, I don't think you missed much 😟

Edited by Mykesbass
Profanity filter 😎

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

That's a shame. A.S.S.  are decent promoters. Sadly, having seen John performing in his mid 80s, I don't think you missed much 😟

You may well be right, but it's still a pity. I saw Peter Green with the Splinter Group in the early 2000s, and I guess he wasn't at his best, but I enjoyed it and at least I saw him. Similarly I saw Johnny Winter in Leverkusen in 2010 when he could barely make it on to the stage, but he played well, I think, and I'm glad I went. Once they are gone, they are gone.

Edited by pigface
Spelling.

10 minutes ago, pigface said:

You may well be right, but it's still a pity. I saw Peter Green with the Splinter Group in the early 2000s, and I guess he wasn't at his best, but I enjoyed it and at least I saw him. Similarly I saw Johnny Winter in Leverkusen in 2010 when he could barely make it on to the stage, but he played well, I think, and I'm glad I went. Once they are gone, they are gone.

Peter managed to keep a little bit of magic in his playing in the early 2000s. I worked with him and @mybass on a couple of albums at that time, and, yes, it was hard work, but the flashes of brilliance were still there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pigface said:

I had tickets for this gig in Cologne. It didn't happen. Don't remember why ...

From the statement of the tour operator (I've translated it):
"It is with great regret that JOHN MAYALL has announced that, on the advice of his doctors, he has to say goodbye to the Tour forever. Unfortunately, the tour planned for March 2022 has been cancelled."

On 01/12/2023 at 11:28, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

... The best part of his set imho  , was when Mick Taylor joined him onstage . Mick Taylor.played on most of my favourite stones albums ...

I think, before joining the Stones, Taylor played on three Mayall albums - Crusade, Bare Wires, and Blues From Laurel Canyon.

When I saw Mayall at Brighton Dome in the early 2000s, Gary Moore was the surprise guest.

• Thanks 1