Why become a member? ×

Fender Aerodyne Special MIJ...they've gotta be joking!

jd56hawk

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

You'd have to pay me to take it away!

What. My black one or the OP's? When I first saw a Black Aerodyne Jazz in my local shop, I thought "Ooh nice, I bet it does not play or sound as good as it looks". So I played it and loved it. It has a 7.5" neck radius, so will not be to everyone's taste, but the new ones have a flatter neck, removing one of the almost unique features. Mine has survived a flood that consigned its hard case to the great musical skip, but with a little TLC the one shown above survived. I also bought it with some of the money left to me by my Mum, so "don't dis de Aero".

Gad to see you got home safe from Outer Mongolia Somerset last month.

To me, any Jazz Bass with angled body edges instead of round looks wrong - and it's almost entirely featureless and naked. I just don't like the aesthetic, it's not nearly as elegant as the rounded edges of the original Fender design. The Aerodyne compensates this with the arched top and thinner body edges, which give it a sleek look. But still, it's not for me. It's also what's holding me back from trying out a Sire U5, even though I'm quite confident it would suit me in every other way. 

I like @Owen's analogy "cartoon of a Jazz Bass". 

43 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

What. My black one or the OP's? When I first saw a Black Aerodyne Jazz in my local shop, I thought "Ooh nice, I bet it does not play or sound as good as it looks". So I played it and loved it. It has a 7.5" neck radius, so will not be to everyone's taste, but the new ones have a flatter neck, removing one of the almost unique features. Mine has survived a flood that consigned its hard case to the great musical skip, but with a little TLC the one shown above survived. I also bought it with some of the money left to me by my Mum, so "don't dis de Aero".

Although I was indeed referencing the original post, at the risk of causing offence, either, or any.  I'm simply referencing the fact that me and Jazz basses do not get along on any level.  Yours is at least a bit better because it has one decent pickup, I'll give you that ;)

43 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Gad to see you got home safe from Outer Mongolia Somerset last month.

Thanks, yeah I beasted it in one go because I'm quite mad.  It was a bit "jousty" around Birmingham but by the time I hit Scotland I only had the occasional lorry for company.

I did put an "I got home safe" post in the Bass bash thread :)

Edited by neepheid

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yours is at least a bit better because it has one decent pickup, I'll give you that ;)

As the original J pickup was the usual antenna, I bought a set of DiMarzios from @Dood. It is called a Jazz as the body shape is like a Jazz. However, the real ones, always had a P pickup at the neck. I would never have bought it with two single coils. Mine came directly from Japan, before Fender got heavy and stopped the Japanese music companies selling overseas. Even with shipping, vat and duty it cost about half the cost of a new one in the UK.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bcbass said:

I like mine, except pickups.Unplaged is very resonant,neck is great.Mesured pickps on multimeter and P pup shows 5,45kOhms and J pup 6,15kOhms.Not sure that is right for this basses.Anybody checked values for this pickups_

I still have the originals, but I suspect they may have changed over 20 years of production. Next time I see them (chaos as usual here) I will measure them.

4 hours ago, karlfer said:

The new Aerodyne Precision Special has the best pickup I've ever had on an Aerodyne.

Coupled with stuff like 12" radius, Babicz bridge, chamfered arm bit, torque adjustable tuners etc, very different beast.

Third time this week I've heard it's better in every way than the typical Guitar Center black Aerodyne.

(Looks like the GC Aerodyne has been discontinued, too...not showing up on the Fender site.)

Edited by jd56hawk