Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK ??

gilmour

Hi All,

I was dscussing this with the guitarist in my band last night, I didn;t make much sense as I couldn't quite remember clearly ... so here goes ...

Does anyone remember about 10 years ago Ibanez released a bass with a triple coil pick up - I think it was called the ATK, or Attack or something.?

I'm wondering if anyone knows - are these still available - if so are they any good?

I remember playing one years ago when they first came out and I quite liked it, but it was so long ago I don't trust my own judgment. (I do remember being frustrated that there was nowhere to rest my thumb whilst I was playing fingerstyle - but liek I say long time ago)

Anyway answers on the back of a postcard...

Yeah, the bass was the ATK, and it came in the 100, 300, 400 and 500 series. There was also a 5 string, the 305. There may've been more models than I've stated, these are just the ones I know of. The original line was discontinued about 3 years back ( I think), however, Ibanez re-released the line this year. Supposedly the new basses are pretty much the same (ie. just as good) as the original basses.

Yup - rereleased. Look great and great reviews so far. A stingray at 1/3 of a 'ray new price. Only problem with them as far as I can see is with the 5 string versions string spacing. I'd love to get my hands on one of these to try...

I played the original ATK four stringer many years ago at a friend's shop & found it to be a great funk & slap bass... Played one of the current ones a few weeks back & it was just as great. Feels like a lot of bass for the money! They seem to be Ibanez's answer to the Stingray but feel a lot more lithe and energetic. Go for the natural maple one - Seriously cool looking bass!

Anyone played the 5 string yet? It's tight spacing but for that money I'd maybe put up with it if the B was any good (I sold a 'Ray 5 because of the string spacing, but if it had cost me 350 nuggets I think I would have kept it!)

I've not played one - there was a new one in my local shop but the battery was flat (WTF?!).

Given the amount of raving from other people, I'm really itching to try one out. I bet it doesn't cop the stingray tone that close.

Edited by G-bitch

[quote name='bassaussie' post='50904' date='Aug 26 2007, 01:58 PM']Yeah, the bass was the ATK, and it came in the 100, 300, 400 and 500 series. There was also a 5 string, the 305. There may've been more models than I've stated, these are just the ones I know of. The original line was discontinued about 3 years back ( I think), however, Ibanez re-released the line this year. Supposedly the new basses are pretty much the same (ie. just as good) as the original basses.[/quote]

yep u can get them in america.

I've got an older ATK405, and I love it. The 400 series was the "revised" model - two pickups (J/MM), more versatile electronics, 24 frets, downsized body and smaller headstock. The new reissues aren't bad - they're based on the original 300 series, and if you like the MM tone, they nail it. The neck is pretty chunky, but we're talking P-bass chunky, not Warwick chunky, and it's comfortable.

The reissue 300s are great, but I'd say track down a 400 or 405 if you can - they're quite a bit nicer. They're smaller (and lighter), I can nail the MM tone, plus I've got decent facsimiles of a Jazz (both pickups or bridge only) and a P-bass, thanks to the clever switching on the pickups. It's my "go-to" bass for anything rock-ish now, as it's got such a big sound.

It would be 5 string i'd look for, especially the J+MM pickup version, but they seem pretty rare in the UK. Also there seems to have been a version some time ago with wider 5 string spacing (19mm rather than 17.5mm on the 405 and 16.5mm on the new 305). That'd be my first choice, but the 17.5mm I could maybe live with. If you're ever selling the 405 Russ give me a shout!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='markytbass' post='57849' date='Sep 9 2007, 06:51 PM']A 5 string ATK has just come up on ebay if anyone is interested. Item no 110168364520. It has the jazz pickup in addition to the 3coil bucker[/quote]

Yeah but zero feedback seller - always careful about that. Pitty since it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for at the minute...