Why become a member? ×

Rolling fingerboard edges?

police squad

4 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Of course there are other ways to soften the edge of the fingerboard This is how one amateur luthier does it especially for people with extra large hands...

screenshot-695.thumb.jpg.2ed39e44e5884a5e63372119781292e9.jpg

Scalloped for Sirs pleasure. 

On 16/11/2023 at 11:17, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I don't think there's a way to do this on a maple fingerboard, so I never do those, but on an unlacquered fingerboard (I've done rosewood, pau ferro, and ebony boards) there are a few methods. I used to use a screwdriver shaft to compress the wood at the edge of the fingerboard to round it off, however I now favour using an extra fine sanding pad (eg https://amzn.to/3sFbdxl) This is a much quicker job and an additional benefit of this is that it also rounds off the edges on the frets making them extra comfy on the fingers. Taking the neck off the guitar/bass to do this makes it easier. I've done this on instruments ranging in cost from £100 to £1200 and have always been pleased with the results.

do you have a link to a video, as to how you did this method please. (so I can do it right first time)

I am not that that bothered on fingerboards with frets - however, on a fretless it is much more obvious to me if the edge has been rolled or not.

On a P bitsa fretless I put together I took a very sharp razor blade and scraped the (rosewood) fingerboard edges at 45°. With some gentle additional work with fine emery paper the fingerboard edges were less square and acceptable to me.

2 hours ago, police squad said:

do you have a link to a video, as to how you did this method please. (so I can do it right first time)

Although I doubt I'm the first to have thought of doing this, I came up with the idea so I am not aware of any videos. If I get a bass or guitar in my hands that needs it doing I'll make a short video, however I don't know when that might be as I'm going to try to stop buying basses and guitars for a while and the gibson non-reverse thunderbird I have arriving today comes with rolled edges from the factory.

I think the last one I did was my Squier Classic vibe mustang.

I used a bosch super fine sanding block. This one -> https://amzn.to/46gIM6B

Points to note:

• First remove the neck (optional but makes it MUCH easier)
  • Rub the sanding pad along the edges of the fingerboard so the surface of the pad makes about a 45° angle with the face of the fingerboard.
  • Use as little pressure as you can and check the results as you go. A little goes a long way so don't overdo it. Feel the edge with your fretting hand in playing position to feel the progress as this is at least as useful as visual inspection.
  • You're looking to put a small even radius on the edge all the way along the fingerboard rather than a chamfer, so vary the angle of the pad if necessary.
  • Don't just use one part of the pad, it will eventually get clogged so move to a fresh part of the surface whenever it gets clogged.
  • After the sanding is complete, wipe the fingerboard with kitchen towel and apply then wipe off lemon oil on the fingerboard as you usually would.
  • Put the bass back together, string it up and marvel at how comfy it is now on the fretting hand.
  • Wash the sanding pad and wring it out in water to clear any dust clogging the abrasive — then it'll be ready for next time.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Although I doubt I'm the first to have thought of doing this, I came up with the idea so I am not aware of any videos. If I get a bass or guitar in my hands that needs it doing I'll make a short video, however I don't know when that might be as I'm going to try to stop buying basses and guitars for a while and the gibson non-reverse thunderbird I have arriving today comes with rolled edges from the factory.

I think the last one I did was my Squier Classic vibe mustang.

I used a bosch super fine sanding block. This one -> https://amzn.to/46gIM6B

Points to note:

• First remove the neck (optional but makes it MUCH easier)
  • Rub the sanding pad along the edges of the fingerboard so the surface of the pad makes about a 45° angle with the face of the fingerboard.
  • Use as little pressure as you can and check the results as you go. A little goes a long way so don't overdo it. Feel the edge with your fretting hand in playing position to feel the progress as this is at least as useful as visual inspection.
  • You're looking to put a small even radius on the edge all the way along the fingerboard rather than a chamfer, so vary the angle of the pad if necessary.
  • Don't just use one part of the pad, it will eventually get clogged so move to a fresh part of the surface whenever it gets clogged.
  • After the sanding is complete, wipe the fingerboard with kitchen towel and apply then wipe off lemon oil on the fingerboard as you usually would.
  • Put the bass back together, string it up and marvel at how comfy it is now on the fretting hand.
  • Wash the sanding pad and wring it out in water to clear any dust clogging the abrasive — then it'll be ready for next time.

I've actually bought the first sanding pad that you recommended, so I'll give it a go tomorrow as am rehearsing staright after work

I shall apply your technique, i used to be a metal polisher and I understand about letting the tool do the work and not applying too much pressure

I'll post my results as I get them

• Like 1

Too much pressure and/or time tends to scallop the wood between frets...

I get my wife to order these from...

https://www.shein.co.uk/10pcs-Color-Block-Nail-Buffer-Sanding-Block-Files-Sponge-Nail-Polisher-Professional-Manicure-Tools-For-Acrylic-Nails-Care-For-Optimum-Natural-Nail-Care-p-13049383-cat-3335.html

As She buys a lot of tat from there...

Superdrug, Boots etc...

https://amzn.eu/d/aaaAOm3

4 sides of different grade... great for a Neck Edge, Fret End, Fret Polish and Buff... all in one...

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/11/2023 at 11:00, Rayman said:

I use a blunt round metal object like a screwdriver shaft, and very gently go over the edge of the fretboard, gently rolling it back and forth between each fret, pressing down with a little pressure , just enough to take the sharp edge away and give the wood a radius.

I wouldn’t attempt this on a massively expensive bass though 

I just did this on my Sandberg.

It’s subtle, but it’s definitely a nice change.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 11:17, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I don't think there's a way to do this on a maple fingerboard, so I never do those, but on an unlacquered fingerboard (I've done rosewood, pau ferro, and ebony boards) there are a few methods. I used to use a screwdriver shaft to compress the wood at the edge of the fingerboard to round it off, however I now favour using an extra fine sanding pad (eg https://amzn.to/3sFbdxl) This is a much quicker job and an additional benefit of this is that it also rounds off the edges on the frets making them extra comfy on the fingers. Taking the neck off the guitar/bass to do this makes it easier. I've done this on instruments ranging in cost from £100 to £1200 and have always been pleased with the results.

Update: this is the exact pad I have most recently used, a Bosch superfine -> https://amzn.to/46gIM6B

81awo2sLIRS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use these and foam nail file blocks, feels so much better after a dressing. Takes the newness feel out of the bass giving it a played in feel. 😎

• Like 1