Why become a member? ×

Reverse P...orn!

Baloney Balderdash

So this thread is for posting pictures of all those basses people own that got one or more P pickups with reverse orientation equipped.

Really though it's just another excuse for posting another picture of my beloved just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, which I've named "Dud Bottomfeeder", with various mods, among those pulling out the stock pickups and installing an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, instead.

Currently equipped with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, and tuned in tenor bass tuning, that is A standard tuning, as the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning, which really makes this little bass shine, though it does sound great equipped with thicker gauge strings and tuned in regular E standard tuning as well.

Without further ado "Dud Bottomfeeder" (note that the knob closets to the neck is now red):

image.thumb.png.b2091ea2da07f1c6c60511ea000f6855.png

Having the P pickup orientation in reverse does really help making the tonal balance between respectively the two thicker lower strings and the two thinner upper strings more even, which is even more pronounced on a short scale bass, because the relative difference in distance is greater, rather than emphasizing the inherent tonal difference between respectively the two thinner higher and two thicker lower strings which the traditional orientation of the two halves of a P pickup actually does.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fitted an EMG 35P4 (reverse P in a soapbar shell) to my bass earlier in the year, and judging by what I heard last night I am now a definite reverse P convert. What an absolutely awesome sound. A night and day difference from the passive humbucker it replaced. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rich said:

I fitted an EMG 35P4 (reverse P in a soapbar shell) to my bass earlier in the year, and judging by what I heard last night I am now a definite reverse P convert. What an absolutely awesome sound. A night and day difference from the passive humbucker it replaced. 

It does really balance the tone between the thicker lower and thinner upper strings out well (instead of emphasizing the difference as traditional regular P orientation actually does).

And split coil pickups are a nice compromise between single coil and full, double parallel coils in series, humbucking.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2