Why become a member? ×

With or without RAMP ?

nilorius

There's a bit of an 'Emperor's New Clothes' vibe in some of the comments here and I'm quite surprised.

My view, for what it's worth (probably nothing), is that ramps are essentially a more visually appealing version of a Zero Mod thumb rest.

I've used them on Ric's and most recently Stingrays and I really like them.

The single H pick-up position on a Stingray always feels fractionally too far back for me when playing finger style.

I enjoy the slightly less tension using the Zero Mod. YMMV of course.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There's a bit of an 'Emperor's New Clothes' vibe in some of the comments here and I'm quite surprised.

My view, for what it's worth (probably nothing), is that ramps are essentially a more visually appealing version of a Zero Mod thumb rest.

I've used them on Ric's and most recently Stingrays and I really like them.

The single H pick-up position on a Stingray always feels fractionally too far back for me when playing finger style.

I enjoy the slightly less tension using the Zero Mod. YMMV of course.

Although you can rest your thumb on them, that's not really what ramps are for, otherwise bassists would just use a thumb rest, which looks prettier than some ramps I've seen stuck on instruments. 

6 minutes ago, tauzero said:

But some people like them, just like some misguided people actually like headstocks.

Headless, check, zero fret, check, ramp, check, active pickups, check, garish finish, check, unusual strap mounting method, check, too many strings, check, plays with a pick, check, chords, check, tapping, check, too many notes, check, uses effects, check... I am going to hell, obviously! 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bassman68 said:

Never really felt the need for them on my basses?

I think it boils down to playing technique & right hand positioning..

A bit like fret wraps, they just seem an accessory to me?

Like a drummer using brushes or lightning rods? Then yeah. Ramps, like plectrums are not a crutch to "fix" anything, despite what many a naysayer has projected. 

45 minutes ago, tauzero said:

But some people like them, just like some misguided people actually like headstocks.

I can’t pretend I feel strongly one way or the other!

I was just interested in what they were, and conclude they are probably among the many things I can live without.

Glad you get work out well for some people tho - that’s cool.  

2 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

If they work for certain players then why not?? We are all different.😊

That’s my view. We all play better when we are comfortable. What increases comfort is different for all of us. Scale length, string tension, nut width, neck shape, pick or fingers etc etc.

Some piz DB players have a low action to use the board as a ramp so it’s hardly new.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 18:07, Dood said:

Like a drummer using brushes or lightning rods? Then yeah. Ramps, like plectrums are not a crutch to "fix" anything, despite what many a naysayer has projected. 

Some people find them useful, some don't. I have quite a few basses, only one of which had a ramp on, and on balance I preferred it without. As the ramp was simply wedged between the pickups, it could be removed and replaced non-destructively. I don't think that the use or absence of a ramp is indicative of the skill level of the player.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Some people find them useful, some don't. I have quite a few basses, only one of which had a ramp on, and on balance I preferred it without. As the ramp was simply wedged between the pickups, it could be removed and replaced non-destructively. I don't think that the use or absence of a ramp is indicative of the skill level of the player.

Absolutely! :) Like the amount of strings or what amplifier the bass is plugged in to. :)

• Like 1