Why become a member? ×

Wireless system - Lekato, Boss or something else?

ots

On 05/04/2024 at 18:31, ped said:

What about the WS70? Has lower latency <3ms and looks pretty cool

Operates on UHF, hence the low latency as there's no ADC and DAC conversions happening, but also hence the sound changing as there will be a compressor in the transmitter. The WS-50 and WS-90 are 5.8GHz, and there's the WS-80 at 2.4GHz.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ped said:

I have just bought a used Boss WL20 set so I'll give the a go. Generally love Boss/Roland gear so let's see. 

Which version? I had both and preferred the guitar version at one point, then the full range one, then i think i went back i the guitar version as i found the full range one a bit clicky when using a pick. 

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Which version? I had both and preferred the guitar version at one point, then the full range one, then i think i went back i the guitar version as i found the full range one a bit clicky when using a pick. 

Oh I’m not sure - just the WL20 for guitar/bass. As in not the L version (is that what you’re referring to as full range?)

I’ll be using it with a passive bass 99% of the time so thought that was best. 

WL20 is here and I think it’s fantastic! One question - can the two pieces be stored plugged into each other, like you do to pair them, until the lights go off?

Oh and has anyone found a good carry case for them?

1 hour ago, ped said:

WL20 is here and I think it’s fantastic! One question - can the two pieces be stored plugged into each other, like you do to pair them, until the lights go off?

Oh and has anyone found a good carry case for them?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to store them plugged in. The battery will drain until  (maybe) the auto off kicks in. 

• Like 1

Found the perfect container! This box is a slightly curved shape, designed to hold 4 rolls of 35mm film. It fits the WS20 absolutely perfectly which is super satisfying. Can’t remember where I got it, probably eBay 

IMG_8705.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ped said:

Found the perfect container! This box is a slightly curved shape, designed to hold 6 rolls of 35mm film. It fits the WS20 absolutely perfectly which is super satisfying. Can’t remember where I got it, probably eBay 

IMG_8705.jpeg

That's a great idea! Mine go into my gig bag in a small fabric bag with a drawstring along with a usb cable and adaptors so I can plug in and charge if necessary. The WL 20 is great, I have used it for practice, rehearsals and gigs for years with no problems.

• Like 1

I keep my Lekato's in the robust cardboard box they came in (fits snugly in one of my cases). On the layer of foam that fits on top of the insert I've written 'Charged' and 'Flat' on opposite sides to avoid relying on memory. 

• Like 1

Following this thread I spent £32 on a Lekato WS70.  Used in 2.5 hr rehearsal last night, no drop outs.  It seems to drop a bit of volume. To my ears it has a bit of compression and loses some high end.  These effects are liveable with.  No hiss or any other discernible noise. Listened on headphones to detect the gating / low volume cut off effect reported by some but  I was not able to detect this. Seems good so far, out for real on Saturday blues band gig. Next week it has a more demanding scenario, fretless bass in my prog-jazz-rock originals band. Weird not having a cable after 50+ years of attachment. 

Had a rehearsal tonight with my P bass. Not impressed with how the transmitter sits. It’s fine on my Yamaha as the jack is side mounted, but there seems no where for it to lay flat on the P bass. Not a big deal, but i wish it was a bit smaller. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I keep my Lekato's in the robust cardboard box they came in (fits snugly in one of my cases). On the layer of foam that fits on top of the insert I've written 'Charged' and 'Flat' on opposite sides to avoid relying on memory. 

Mine go in my little gig handbag (along with an MS-60B, rechargeable batteries, A-B box, short leads, capo, that sort of thing). After use they go in my pocket, whence they are put on charge, and then returned to the handbag. Same goes for rechargeables, once discharged they go into a pocket and then into the charger when I get home.

• Like 1

If you get a Backbeat on your strap you can use a short cable from your bass like an angled one to the pack, then plug the wireless into the output of the pack. Then it’s on your back and out of the way. The form factor of the boss would have been a concern for me otherwise. 

8 hours ago, ped said:

If you get a Backbeat on your strap you can use a short cable from your bass like an angled one to the pack, then plug the wireless into the output of the pack. Then it’s on your back and out of the way. The form factor of the boss would have been a concern for me otherwise. 

Yeah, i have considered that. I too was wary about the Boss sticking out when i had it, but i never had an issue. It felt solid sitting on the frotn of the P bass. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, i have considered that. I too was wary about the Boss sticking out when i had it, but i never had an issue. It felt solid sitting on the frotn of the P bass. 

Seems odd that the 'premium' Boss offering doesn't fold like the Lekato. OK it's chunkier, probably because it has more tricks in it or a bigger battery, but surely it wouldn't be hard to do?

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Seems odd that the 'premium' Boss offering doesn't fold like the Lekato. OK it's chunkier, probably because it has more tricks in it or a bigger battery, but surely it wouldn't be hard to do?

It's a design choice. My Lekato doesn't always stay in place. It can swing all around.

Edited by MichaelDean

I'd been using the Boss WL-50 for a few years since they came out.  Recently changed to the Lekato because I wanted to use something on 5.4 frequency plus I was ditching my pedal board, such as it was, for a single pedal.  Can't honestly say I have noticed any difference in performance - both units have been flawless - it is just that the Lekato suits my purposes better.  I kind of prefer the way it folds but that isn't a biggie.

I may just send the Lekato back and get the Boss again. I was worried about interference but i never actually had any issues with the ones i had before. I seem to be the only member of the new band that uses wireless so i do t think i have anything to worry about at the moment. 

After making my post above, i also realised i can’t put my bass down with the Lekato plugged in (or i have to be really careful). I dont have this issue with the Xvive as it’s smaller. 
So i have ordered the Boss WL-20 from Amazon. Better the devil you know etc. 

• Like 2

On 08/04/2024 at 14:19, ped said:

Oh I’m not sure - just the WL20 for guitar/bass. As in not the L version (is that what you’re referring to as full range?)

I’ll be using it with a passive bass 99% of the time so thought that was best. 

I’ve just remembered why i kept changing mine.

I did start off with the normal set, but at the time i was using a couple of TC Electronic pedals. The ones with the app that sends the changes via the instrument pup. I found the cable tone feature was attenuating the high freq and stopping this from working. So i got the full range set. Then i found that to be a bit ‘clicky’ when using a pick and a bright signal, so i ended up going back i the standard version. 

1st world issues 😂

• Haha 2

Well that was quick. Ive sent the Boss back. It cut out a few times at home. IIR it used to do this when i had them before but were rock solid at gigs. I’ll live with the larger LEKATO for now. Thats been rock solid at home and at rehearsals. 

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 22:53, ped said:

I've been using a Lekato WS-50 (5.8GHz) set for a while now. As I wasn't happy with the way the transmitter would twizzle in the output socket, I've now got a Levy's wireless holder on my strap - the Lekato transmitter sits folded in this, plugged in to the female end of a 75cm male jack to female socket extension cable from Designacable. Works well enough, though I do sometimes wish I'd asked if I could have a right-angle jack on the instrument end of the cable as this would have been even neater.

https://www.designacable.com/un-balanced-guitar-extension-lead-van-damme-xke-cable.html

Screenshot 2024-04-14 09.17.12.png

• Like 3