Why become a member? ×

Venue unknowns and what to do

grapefruitmoon

Our 5 piece rock band has a gig in a couple of weeks at a venue we've not played before. We're trying to figure out what gear we need to bring - they've got a PA system. My problem is my amp head has been having power issues, got it back from repair last week but using it at rehearsal last night, it's still intermittently cutting out - so obvs no use for gigging. I was going to take the head and cab to ensure I can hear myself on stage (lead guitarist is very loud!). Ideally, if we had our own PA, I'd go ampless. I've got a setup for that, and recently purchased the Lekato wireless IEM system, which I've started to use at one of our rehearsal rooms which has a good PA. Question is, can I rock up and use that at the venue? Is that too risky? Would I be better biting the bullet and just getting a new amp head in time for the gig? Any other options - I was thinking of getting a lightweight powered speaker to use as a personal monitor, but I don't really know much about that side of things.

Plan for the band is to invest in a PA early next year, so the expense of a new head at this point might not be the best bet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, grapefruitmoon said:

Our 5 piece rock band has a gig in a couple of weeks at a venue we've not played before. We're trying to figure out what gear we need to bring - they've got a PA system. My problem is my amp head has been having power issues, got it back from repair last week but using it at rehearsal last night, it's still intermittently cutting out - so obvs no use for gigging. I was going to take the head and cab to ensure I can hear myself on stage (lead guitarist is very loud!). Ideally, if we had our own PA, I'd go ampless. I've got a setup for that, and recently purchased the Lekato wireless IEM system, which I've started to use at one of our rehearsal rooms which has a good PA. Question is, can I rock up and use that at the venue? Is that too risky? Would I be better biting the bullet and just getting a new amp head in time for the gig? Any other options - I was thinking of getting a lightweight powered speaker to use as a personal monitor, but I don't really know much about that side of things.

Plan for the band is to invest in a PA early next year, so the expense of a new head at this point might not be the best bet.

When I was last without an amp and a gig came up, I hired one for the night. 

It cost about £40 for the night and saved me having to rush into buying something

• Like 1

Could you not find which band played there last and message them for advice ?

I never like arriving at a venue I havnt checked out mostly to check the load in access and setup space. 
Our band has a lot of PA gear ( old heavy tops and subs with a 1k power amp and desk 

We never need to worry about our sound as we do it every gig 

• Like 2

Why not contact the venue and ask what they've got? Our guitarist does this everywhere we play because he's fussy, but also cos he's gone to IEMs and wants to know if they can handle that, do they want him to bring an amp? Etc. If you've got a while before the gig I'd do that and then you can discuss anything you need to with the sound guy or girl and everyone is happy.

• Like 2

In my mind a proper working band should be equipped to handle everything that gets thrown at them.  It's not the venues job to get the band's sound out to the audience it's the bands job. 

Being a lead singer as well as the bass player I put together a suitable PA capable of handling any eventuality.  If I need vocals only then I use the 15" mains on stands each side of the stage. if I need to play bass through the system I add my acme 2x10s as subwoofers which they are more than capable of handling.

• Like 2

Hi all, thanks so much for the responses, much appreciated! With my thinking being pretty much exactly what @BassmanPaul says in the last post, me/the band should be suitably equipped, so I've gone ahead, bitten the bullet and ordered a new amp. No ideal financially but it makes sense in the long run. One less stress!

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 19:23, BassmanPaul said:

@grapefruitmoon my standard question when hearing problems that you describe is: does your amp have an effects loop? If so, connect Send and Return with a short signal cable and see if that helps. Problems with the normalizing contacts on these jacks are not uncommon especially if they are not used.

I'd heard about this before, likely on this very forum. The amp in questions doesn't have an effects loop, thanks for mentioning though, will bear in mind in the future (the new amp does have it).

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 17:59, BassAdder60 said:

Could you not find which band played there last and message them for advice ?

I never like arriving at a venue I havnt checked out mostly to check the load in access and setup space. 
Our band has a lot of PA gear ( old heavy tops and subs with a 1k power amp and desk 

We never need to worry about our sound as we do it every gig 

Yeah, I did ask some guys I know who played there recently. The bassist was DI'd but took his cab to hear himself on stage - not quite sure why a monitor wouldn't have sufficed, but then they are a 7 piece outfit with 4 guitarists. Four!

• Like 1