Why become a member? ×

11,000 watts... and yet no idea!

warwickhunt

I saw a post on a local FB music group where a sound engineer was bigging up his PA hire and touting for work.  11,000 watts in an Arts Centre which I'm familiar with and I've played it with a decent pair of tops... so I decided to have a look at pics.  

image.thumb.png.6cdf92234603a5887a09c66e3088d418.png

I'm aware that the equipment design might limit placement but IMHO less might have been more in this instance.  :/  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Downunderwonder said:

Comb filtering hell out front unless it's GF.Dead style separate stacks for instruments. As the subs are 3 and the the tops 2 per side I am calling nay, a thousand times nay!

Indeed.  

In fact there are 4 subs on the far side of the pic.  I'm guessing the 11,000 watt figure is calculated from 1000w per unit; 7 bins + 4 tops.  

The room that this image is taken in, is probably no deeper than it is wide in this pic (I've played it), so the various mistakes made with speaker placement will be compounded. 

I have to confess I wasn't at this gig, so I can't comment on sound quality but my head just says 'no'.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

11,000 watts? (maybe 1100, downhill with a following wind).

Just going from the specs isn't he - the Bose F1s are listed at 1000W head and 1000W bass (more conservative than others, my old altos are listed as 2000W, be impressed if they were 300w), and there are indeed a combination of 11 heads and basses

Does seem kind of odd though that as they are 4k for a set of 2 tops and 2 bottoms, you would pick 4 tops and 7 bottoms!

The subs to tops ratio isn't a problem per se, but the fact that those Bose barely qualify as subs is. And then to place the line source tops side by side instead of stacked, with the subs split to either side and not wall loaded, indicates that his technical knowledge base consists of the Bose advertising and no more. What's worse, though, is that the Bose manual makes no mention of how to employ multiple units, or how to properly employ subs. For that matter the very design that pretty much forces users to mount the tops above the subs is totally flawed. It's why friends don't let friends buy Bose. 🤥

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2023 at 12:45, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The subs to tops ratio isn't a problem per se, but the fact that those Bose barely qualify as subs is. And then to place the line source tops side by side instead of stacked, with the subs split to either side and not wall loaded, indicates that his technical knowledge base consists of the Bose advertising and no more. What's worse, though, is that the Bose manual makes no mention of how to employ multiple units, or how to properly employ subs. For that matter the very design that pretty much forces users to mount the tops above the subs is totally flawed. It's why friends don't let friends buy Bose. 🤥

Although to run to the defence of Bose, if you do know what you are doing, they can sound excellent - just a bit niche and need some thought about when/where to use them.

I've just seen this post for real in Facebook too. I can only say "oh no".

I've heard those Bose stacks (not HIS, but you know) and they sounded superb for the background music and then acoustic guitar/cajon/vocals duo at a local indoor market. I just don't fancy using 4 and change for a rock gig. 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 15:29, Jack said:

I've just seen this post for real in Facebook too. I can only say "oh no".

I've heard those Bose stacks (not HIS, but you know) and they sounded superb for the background music and then acoustic guitar/cajon/vocals duo at a local indoor market. I just don't fancy using 4 and change for a rock gig. 

They have a weird mid response. I don’t know if it is a phase issue or a dip in the response at the crossover frequency but having hear them live with “solo” singer ( paid karaoke singers) there is something so don’t like. 

• Like 1