Why become a member? ×

Bringing a bass back from the US

Fionn

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

Is it possible to avoid paying sales tax or get a refund if you are taking the object bought abroad?  Like VAT in this country?  

I did ask that in Manny’s when I bought the Stingray but they wouldn’t oblige   It does depend on the retailer and which state you’re in

Edited by Cliff Edge
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Is it possible to avoid paying sales tax or get a refund if you are taking the object bought abroad?  Like VAT in this country?  

Not really

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-373?language=en_US#:~:text=If you are making a,refunding any sales tax paid.

Remember if you are buying from a shop there is the state tax and also possibly a city tax (that isn't listed in the price).

TBH, the best way is to buy something that even if you have to pay vat and import duty in the UK it would be worth it, like if it is really cheap or something unique, then if you have to pay that tax you are prepared for it and still happy, and if you don't it is a good result.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

TBH, the best way is to buy something that even if you have to pay vat and import duty in the UK it would be worth it, like if it is really cheap or something unique, then if you have to pay that tax you are prepared for it and still happy, and if you don't it is a good result.

This.

All the instruments I have bought from abroad have been ones that would have been virtually impossible to buy without importing them myself.

There is another issue with buying in the US. If it’s new you are not protected in the event of it going wrong by your retail purchase rights, i.e. no guarantee. Had this problem with an iPad bought over there, it died, Apple wouldn’t do anything about it. If bought in U.K. it would have been returnable for 2 years.

3 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

There is another issue with buying in the US. If it’s new you are not protected in the event of it going wrong by your retail purchase rights, i.e. no guarantee. Had this problem with an iPad bought over there, it died, Apple wouldn’t do anything about it. If bought in U.K. it would have been returnable for 2 years.

The Apple Care warranty is worldwide and covers repair and replacement anywhere on products bought from Apple or an official Apple Retailer. That includes the initial free 12 months. 
Many moons ago I bought a G4 MacBookPro in the Apple Store in New York which developed a fault a few months later back home in the UK. The Apple Store near me fixed for free despite it being a couple of months outside that initial 12 months. 

It's some years ago, But I bought a brand new US Jazz Bass in Boston.
It was in a massive bulky Fender hardcase, which I had locked.
I flew back into Heathrow T5 and they didn't get it to the other terminal in time for my flight.
On arrival at Manchester, I was called over to the helpdesk.

The guy on the desk started asking me about the bass guitar I brought back. They told me it had missed my flight.
I went nuclear. I had a minibus waiting outside and couldn't keep it hanging about for another hour while I waited for my bass.

I decided to ramp up the volume and drop into the conversation that it was my irreplaceable best friend of 15 years and if there was so much as one mark on it, I would really lose it with someone.  They told me it would be in a car and delivered to my house later that evening. Yup a courier brought it, but slightly late for that evening's gig.

Inside the case was a leaflet about customs inspections, mentioning 'breaking into cases'. They hadn't.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2023 at 13:38, Grahambythesea said:

Had same thing, but salesman was told I was coming back to uk with it and he lied to me that the warranty was good worldwide, I complained to card issuer that it was a misrepresentation and they agreed 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up my series II from the alembic factory and brought it home with me on the plane. i called the airline and asked them to put it in the check in notes that i can carry it on board and put in the staff locker. On arrival back in Heathrow i walked through goods to declare and they just waved me through. I guess they thought it was a personal item.

I got the seller to send me a receipt which i carried with me in case i was stopped and asked for proof of purchase i could show i bought it before i went to usa.

• Like 1