Why become a member? ×

Wal bass on eBay

Maybe somoeones already pointed this one out to the troops but here it is anyway

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wal-Mark-I-Custom-Series-Bass_W0QQitemZ230341561043QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item230341561043&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]click here[/url]

BB

I sold my midi Wal for 3000 euros... took a really long time before someone reacted. I thought it would be picked up easily but it didn't..
"problem" with these midi Wals is that it is a bit harder to bend the strings because of the frets which are all connected to the midi system. It is a bit harder to play than a normal Wal.
Tracking still isn't solved either... it's ok but you have to obtain absolute control over your own style of playing. Each muted note just makes the system choke..

Never played an actual synth/midi bass but recently got a Godin guitar with synth access (to a Roland GR33 floor unit)
The guy I got it from talked about changing my playing style if I was using the midi system. He said it helped if u tried to forget u were playing a guitar and think about what preset/type of sound you were triggering.
I find also with sounds that have a high(?) attack level (ie funky bass sounds) ANY delay in the buffering is noticeable and u have to almost stay ahead of the beat - although maybe i havent set it up properly yet.

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='482558' date='May 7 2009, 11:00 PM']I find also with sounds that have a high(?) attack level (ie funky bass sounds) ANY delay in the buffering is noticeable and u have to almost stay ahead of the beat - although maybe i havent set it up properly yet.[/quote]

That's always been the problem with bass-MIDI converters - they take roughly a quarter wave period to work out the pitch of the note, so the lower the note the slower the response. I believe one historical solution was to shift your basslines up an octave (piccolo tuning or go up the neck) and then let the MIDI system transpose back down. Even with doing that you'll have to play with topspin to land on the beat.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='482744' date='May 8 2009, 10:03 AM']That's always been the problem with bass-MIDI converters - they take roughly a quarter wave period to work out the pitch of the note, so the lower the note the slower the response. I believe one historical solution was to shift your basslines up an octave (piccolo tuning or go up the neck) and then let the MIDI system transpose back down. Even with doing that you'll have to play with topspin to land on the beat.

Alex[/quote]

The Wal system was the Steve Chick system where the frets were actually wired as individual switches - frets split into 4 on each fret on a 4 string and 5 individual frets per fret on a 5 string. Latency was not an issue. It did mean technique adaptation though as wombatboter has mentioned.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='482804' date='May 8 2009, 11:10 AM']Is that the same system that Peavey licensed? Aussie chap, right?

Alex[/quote]

It was/is. I had a Peavey Midibase and really wanted to like it. The MIDI was excellent. The bass itself was SO horrible that I could not bring myself to use it. I mean REALLY horrible.

Just in case anybody here is thinking of bidding on this, I emailed the seller and asked him if it included the midi control module. It doesn't. As this is a proprietary midi system, you won't have access to the midi capability. It's unlikely that you'll find a midi controller anywhere. As mentioned above, the necks/frets are very different on these...I would advise going for a standard Wal.

Steve