Why become a member? ×

Fretless dot markers

Scotbear

Controversial I know but I do refer to them and don't stare into space not looking at fretboard, even after 35 years. So, I know (or think I know) that some big names have same necks as fretted and so dots are NOT on the note where the lines are/would be. And some do...can anyone give me examples of good quality (£250-£350m used) basses with dot markers on the note - so a specific fretless neck? I was told Fender/Squire have same necks as fretted which is a real shame....

Many thanks 

• Like 1

Have you tried 2nd hand? at that price i think you are only going to find Harley Bentons new , i have not tried one so cannot comment on them.

I picked this up for about £180 a few years ago. Early 80's , ebony board , side dots on the note ,  lovely to play

Aria.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thump said:

Have you tried 2nd hand? ( Edit: yes you have. Re reading the post renders some of mine obsolete , apologies.)   At that price i think you are only going to find Harley Bentons new , i have not tried one so cannot comment on them.

I picked this up for about £180 a few years ago. Early 80's Aria , ebony board , side dots on the note ,  lovely to play 

Edit 2 : I had a very late night and early morning , and thats how i managed to quote myself instead of hitting the edit button 🤦‍♂️

Aria.jpg

Edited by Thump

11 hours ago, Scotbear said:

Controversial I know but I do refer to them and don't stare into space not looking at fretboard, even after 35 years. So, I know (or think I know) that some big names have same necks as fretted and so dots are NOT on the note where the lines are/would be. And some do...can anyone give me examples of good quality (£250-£350m used) basses with dot markers on the note - so a specific fretless neck? I was told Fender/Squire have same necks as fretted which is a real shame....

Many thanks 

Almost invariably, the dots are where the frets would be (3, 5, 7, etc) for unlined instruments and where the fretted dots are for lined ones. So any unlined one should meet that criterion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Almost invariably, the dots are where the frets would be (3, 5, 7, etc) for unlined instruments and where the fretted dots are for lined ones. So any unlined one should meet that criterion.

Unless it’s a Crafter Acoustic Fretless like I had - unlined with the dots mid fret - grrrrrrrr!

Changing the dot side-marker positions is certainly doable for somebody competent at DIY. It also gives you the chance to install Luminlay (glow in the dark) side markers, which can be helpful on dark stages. Of course, a luthier will do a top job as well.

Chowny swb-1, ebony board, dots in the correct place, no dot at first fret position. Took me ages to find one then it appeared on bc £300 iirc. Another good option  is the Warwick Corvette, ebony board, dots at 1,3 5,7 etc. My ash bodied one is very light weight, a pleasure to play. One went on ebay last week £500 ish from memory.  You may be searching for a long time.

Edited by 3below